Someone Break My Heart....or ease my anxiety....

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
BFF decided that next year, our annual fall pilgrimage to "The World" will take place in...December! While I have never been in December (and I can't wait to go), I am not willing to use my own allotment of Feb UY points for this trip. I have a fantastic, long-standing transfer arrangement with another DVC member who feeds my addiction (she is my "dealer") and her points are Oct UY which works perfectly.

In the past, when we have travelled in October, we have simply booked at the 11-month window at the BW (usually in 2 parts) and then moved around to a different resort and did a split-stay at 7 months if that's what we wanted to do. For this trip, we have a different line of thinking.

First, we looked at our budget and the cost for "renting":poop:;) the points for a 1BR standard at BWV is about $600 more than our quote for a standard room at Grand Destino Tower WITH the military promo. To me, that's a no-brainer! The extra $600 for the week will get us the laundry, kitchen (which we use daily for breakfast) and access to the deluxe extra magic hours, plus the location cannot be beat. So, we've decided to do a transfer of 180 points and we are planning a Tu-Tu trip in December (before Christmas).

Next, we realize that we do not need the 1BR. We would definitely prefer a studio, but I do not want to try to book a studio at the BW during the busiest time for DVC and risk having to waitlist. Trying to move at the 7-month mark is not likely either. The odds of securing a full week at the 7 month mark, in a studio anywhere, are minimal. I would like to break our reservation into two parts, a 3-night and a 4-night stay. That way, we can always do 2 smaller waitlists so that we can move and save some points on the off-chance that a studio becomes available somewhere.

I love the idea of having the "extra" points so that we can waitlist studios. I never have an excess of points and this would give us points to burn and it would feel like entering a contest. We could waitlist the Riviera (stayed there....Loved it), BLT TPV, or GFV. Those are all resorts that we would never consider for a normal trip since I only own 100 points.

The issue I am struggling with is that the transfer is a "one and done" deal. By transferring the 180 points, we can ONLY book the standard 1BR at BWV at the 11 month mark, unless a P/G studio happens to be available. I looked at some DVC availability "prediction" charts and most of them show that the standard 1BR does not book up immediately for that week in December. That gives me hope!

What, if any, resorts may have studio availability for 3-4 consecutive nights at the beginning of December? We are doing a Tu-Tu stay so we could do various splits, even just splitting between a studio and 1BR which we've done many times. Do I have a decent chance of getting the standard 1BR at 11 months? I am scheduled to work the morning my booking window opens so I think I am going to take it off...just to make sure I can make that phone call.:surfweb:

Studios for the first 2 weeks in December go fast. Lots of time even SSR and OKW have almost no studios at 7 months for those 2 weeks. They are pretty much the busiest DVC 2 week period. There is always a chance of getting something else at 7 months for 2 or 3 daily’s but it’s not guaranteed.

You mentioned using the kitchen in a 1BR for breakfasts. Will the mini-efficiency "kitchen" in a studio meet your needs?

The issue I am struggling with is that the transfer is a "one and done" deal. By transferring the 180 points, we can ONLY book the standard 1BR at BWV at the 11 month mark, unless a P/G studio happens to be available. I looked at some DVC availability "prediction" charts and most of them show that the standard 1BR does not book up immediately for that week in December. That gives me hope!

What, if any, resorts may have studio availability for 3-4 consecutive nights at the beginning of December? We are doing a Tu-Tu stay so we could do various splits, even just splitting between a studio and 1BR which we've done many times. Do I have a decent chance of getting the standard 1BR at 11 months? I am scheduled to work the morning my booking window opens so I think I am going to take it off...just to make sure I can make that phone call.:surfweb:

I just looked at BWV availability for Nov 2024/Dec 2024. The latest check-in date for DVC is Nov 28, 2024. Every. Single. Studio at Boardwalk is booked that day with, I assume, "walkers". A Standard View 1BR is currently available. I'm not sure what your chances are exactly when you finally make it to your check-in date, but the situation with the studios is not hopeful. If it were me and I really wanted the SV 1BR, I would transfer the points to your account today and grab that 1BR for check-in on 11/28 and "walk" it to your desired dates. Search here on the DIS for information about how to walk a reservation.

You mentioned using the kitchen in a 1BR for breakfasts. Will the mini-efficiency "kitchen" in a studio meet your needs?
Yes, a microwave, refrigerator and toaster is perfect. We make eggs in a microwave dish, throw them on a toasted English muffin with some cheese and have breakfast sandwiches. I also bring oatmeal cups and pancake cups that go on the microwave. If we have the full kitchen, we get frozen waffles and bacon, and we make real pancakes instead of the cups.

@kristenrice, what are your dates?

One of the things with "walkers" is that they leave their crumbs behind as they move on and you can snatch them up. I put together a week in value view studio in Nov 2024 at AKV that way. Some walkers may be looking for a date past yours and you can grab the studios when they pop up after being discarded. I got my value view reservation with a combination of booking days and filling in with waitlists. It took maybe 2 weeks. You *could* roll the dice and try to book a studio with leftovers. You could also get up early tomorrow and start walking a studio yourself as long as the system show availability for check-in. An 11/29 check-in looks open right now across the board, but I would book a GV because you have a better change with one of those.

I've not had a problem booking a BWV 1 bedroom standard view at 11 months for the very end of Nancy Member into early December. As best I can recall, P/G studios should be available at 11 months if you don't want to fuss with standard or Boardwalk view walkers.

Good luck! You are going to love that time of the year!

I just booked a few days ago for thanksgiving week in 2024 and ALL studios except for P/G are gone. The 1BR are all available. We booked a 2BR P/G view. I tried for a boardwalk view but on my day the walkers had made it to where there were no boardwalk views even available. I don’t think you would have a hard time with a 1BR if that is what you want. Be aware if you get a 1BR boardwalk view there is a strong likelihood that you will have a long walk from the elevators.

Just a thought, but the new Poly tower may be open by then. Would you have an interest in Poly studios (OG ones) or the new tower studios, Poly 2.0? Or Even CFW. They will be releasing points for booking for both at some point this year, so it may ease the fall frenzy. We were able to get VGF 1B December of 2022 at seven months because points were released.

@kristenrice, what are your dates?

One of the things with "walkers" is that they leave their crumbs behind as they move on and you can snatch them up. I put together a week in value view studio in Nov 2024 at AKV that way. Some walkers may be looking for a date past yours and you can grab the studios when they pop up after being discarded. I got my value view reservation with a combination of booking days and filling in with waitlists. It took maybe 2 weeks. You *could* roll the dice and try to book a studio with leftovers. You could also get up early tomorrow and start walking a studio yourself as long as the system show availability for check-in. An 11/29 check-in looks open right now across the board, but I would book a GV because you have a better change with one of those.
We are planning Dec 10-17, but could do the 9-16 or 11-18, depending on availability/flights/etc. We are constantly moving things around so that's also the reason I do not want to rent points or purchase a "package" from Disney. I am always piecing something together and adding a day, subtracting a day, or splitting our stay between studios and 1BR, or just switching up resorts because we can't make up our minds.

We are planning Dec 10-17, but could do the 9-16 or 11-18, depending on availability/flights/etc. We are constantly moving things around so that's also the reason I do not want to rent points or purchase a "package" from Disney. I am always piecing something together and adding a day, subtracting a day, or splitting our stay between studios and 1BR, or just switching up resorts because we can't make up our minds.
Unfortunately, with DVC it's difficult to be loosey-goosey with your dates during popular times like December. It looks like there is still availability in September and November for a GV studio. Have you been to WDW for the Christmas decorations? I think it's very festive and I'm not even Christian! I would focus on December for now with your 100 points and see if you can score something. If not, fall back to September/November.

Unfortunately, with DVC it's difficult to be loosey-goosey with your dates during popular times like December. It looks like there is still availability in September and November for a GV studio. Have you been to WDW for the Christmas decorations? I think it's very festive and I'm not even Christian! I would focus on December for now with your 100 points and see if you can score something. If not, fall back to September/November.
We are planning to book the 1BR standard at 11 months, but I am going to book it as a 3 night and a 4 night reservation. That way, at 7 months, I can look at what might be available at other resorts (if anything) in studios and make changes/waitlist as needed. If we get "stuck" in a 1BR at BWV, that is just fine with me...I just want to make sure I can get something.

I know that we can also book (pending availability) a 1BR at OKW (181 points), a 1BR standard at AKV (185 points, would be Kidani) or 1BR standard at SSR (192 points)....or a split-stay among any of these. I am optimistic that I am leaving us enough leeway and options that we will definitely have somewhere to stay.

I should add that I made a mistake with my initial post....we intend to transfer in 185 points. I have 7 straggling HHI points from 2025 that I could borrow and add on to the reservation if we end up getting "stuck" at SSR.

FWIW, unless you need the 2nd bathroom at Kidani I like SV at Jambo better. You are guaranteed at least a pool view and sometimes get a "people pen" savannah view. Plus, you're right there for the Mara.

Good luck with your plans! You'll have to pop back in on the thread and let us know what you got.

FWIW, unless you need the 2nd bathroom at Kidani I like SV at Jambo better. You are guaranteed at least a pool view and sometimes get a "people pen" savannah view. Plus, you're right there for the Mara.

Good luck with your plans! You'll have to pop back in on the thread and let us know what you got.
We don't need the second bathroom, but as two, unrelated ladies, having that second bathroom is great for added privacy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter