• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Someone please tell me about the luau

stinksmom

Friends are the family you choose....
We are staying at the Poly for part of our trip in August. We have never done the Spirit of Aloha show. What kind of food do they serve (I know it's served family style)? Is it worth the price? We will be taking 3 14 year old girls. Do we need to get category 1 seats?

I'm a little apprehensive because DD (1 of the 14 year olds) is a very picky eater but we figure we are paying for the show. DH wants to go because we've never done it and it's something different. We did Hoop Dee Doo once. It was okay but I have no desire to go back. Partly because I didn't love the food.

TIA for any input you have!

The food is family style: cut pineapple, honey lime cole slaw, soba noodles and coconut-pineapple bread are the apps. Entrée is pulled pork, ribs, roasted chicken and mixed veg. They have cheese pizza and corn dogs with tater tots as well. Dessert is bread pudding with a caramel drizzle
HTH

We are staying at the Poly for part of our trip in August. We have never done the Spirit of Aloha show. What kind of food do they serve (I know it's served family style)? Is it worth the price? We will be taking 3 14 year old girls. Do we need to get category 1 seats?

I'm a little apprehensive because DD (1 of the 14 year olds) is a very picky eater but we figure we are paying for the show. DH wants to go because we've never done it and it's something different. We did Hoop Dee Doo once. It was okay but I have no desire to go back. Partly because I didn't love the food.

We went a couple years ago and it was okay. The show is pretty cheesy, but good enough to see once. I actually thought the food was pretty decent. While I'm glad we did it once, unless we go with others who really want to do it, we won't do it again. - Also, we had Cat. 2 seating which was just fine.

The show is a definitely has the Disney "cheese" factor, but the traditional island dances are pretty amazing, especially the fire dancer. The food is enjoyable and the pineapple caramel bread pudding is delicious. The roasted chicken is fairly plain - no sauces or anything - as is the rice. There are also fresh veggies offered. Hope this helps!

The luau/show is all outdoors, right? We'll be there at the end of August. Do you think it'll be too hot to enjoy? Any areas that are cooler than others?

I can say that the show was fun, but we will never be back due to the food. The food was cold and not really good at all. Also not a lot of choices.

I can say that the show was fun, but we will never be back due to the food. The food was cold and not really good at all. Also not a lot of choices.

I agree. We really did not like the food at all. HDDR is a much better overall experience, IMO.

SOA is awesome. We go every year end of August beginning of September. Sometime it rains but it's not a big deal. Food is good. Dances more enjoyable than the hokey pokey over at hddr. Cheesy for sure but not nearly as annoying as that giggling cowgirl at hddr.

It's basically High School Musical set in Hawaii. I liked it, but I like Disney cheesiness. Objectively, the dancing was much better than the show.

I didn't eat much because I was busy watching the show, but what I ate was fine. Not great, but not bad.

We went a few years ago and LOVED the food & service side of things. The food was SO plentiful, similar to Ohana in terms of style, thanks to it being a Luau, but it had different things too. It was all SO GOOD we were absolutely dying over everything. Our server was beyond lovely and we had a really enjoyable night.

The show on the other hand, meh. The first two "acts" weren't much, things kicked up in the third when all the dancers/fire dancers came out, but again, it wasn't much of a "show", display of talent was the part we enjoyed, not the acting parts of it. When it comes to show, we MUCH prefer hoop!

Do it once if you can afford it, or for the same value of entertainment just go rent the old movie FootLoose. There really isn't much difference between them. The food is just a notch above bad.

Do it once if you can afford it, or for the same value of entertainment just go rent the old movie FootLoose. There really isn't much difference between them. The food is just a notch above bad.

Ouch! Not sure when you were there but there is a new chef and the pulled pork is really good

We've gone 3 times and paid for priority seating each time, we thought it was worth it. We enjoyed the food and the service. We went in January so it was a bit cool cause it's kind of open to the outdoors, especially with priority seating. We enjoyed the show too.

We bought Category 3 tickets, it was worth doing once. I said if I ever went back to do it again, I'd just chug sangria and save room for dessert, but that's just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter