Something About Nothing............ #14

Ah that Monongahela river. Used to raft down it when in college, as went to very small college north of you, Keisha. Friend still lives in Cranberry Township. Yes, many Indian and Welsh names around where I am. Some are: towns named with Welsh names: Bala Cynwyd (sounded Kinwood) and Narberth and two of many city streets named with Indian names: Wissinoming and Shacamaxon.

Ah still a nice day out.

What do you use to grind your meat?

Don’t like food processor results at all. I have attachment on kitchen aid, not fond of the grind size. I can’t find my mom’s old cast iron one that screwed on table. Newer ones not as sturdy looking

We have the English town names. A lot of “new” this or that

Lynne has her share out in eastern part of state too, it’s the Indian names that hone our reknown PA spelling skills. Spellings bees always a big deal here, we are decidedly old school

Allegheny, Aliquippa, Loyalhanna, Monongahela, schelocta…three words than rival Mississippi, as no cute sing-song to help remember: Youghiogheny, Punxsutawney & Connoquenessing

Yep, it`s a turn handle cast iron one that did screw onto most worktops, but no way in heck was it being fitted to these worktops when we changed them, so it gets used without being screwed in, it`s fine. It did used to get screwed into the old kitchen table, but when we bought a new oak one a few years back, again....nope!! I agree, the food processor ones are cack!!

Florida has some amazing old Indian names that are fun to say, or try to say!

I’m now at that awkward stage where my stomach still hurts but it’s also growling. I think it’s a saltines and ginger ale kind of day. I’m actually out of ginger ale so I will settle for diet Sprite.

I had to look that up. Looks interesting.

I did watch the Christmas special. The “regeneration” was really odd, but if it means there is a chance of seeing David Tennant as The Doctor again I am all for it. I will need to see the new Doctor on his own a few times before I make a decision. Hopefully the writing will be better.

Seems like that could get confusing.

My husband will scroll through all of the channels and then usually end up watching Coos, Forged in Fire or one of the shows where they restore cars.

lol....boys and their toys!! We don`t watch a lot of tv as such, but we are picky in what we do watch, if it doesn`t interest me in 5 minutes, it`s gone. But we do like some classic shows and we`re big movie fans too.

If i don`t get the chance tomorrow, I want to wish your daughter all the luck in the world for her interview, hope she gets it if she thinks it will suit her.

Feel better soon too, it`s miserable feeling so bad.

Hope you feel better real soon charade.

Janet, halupki….
We always just called them cabbage rolls

Had to google what halupki was.
duh…

I was thinking of you when I read what Janet described, I was sure you had mentioned something similar at some point????? And yes, I had to google too!!

Burgers were nice, a good quality meat makes all the difference!

Feeling very full, so will leave tea till later, I have some ginger cake to go with it, not home made, bought it from the farm store closest to us, they`ve recently added a bakery area within the building, all home made by locals and them too, nice way for folks to be able to sell their produce. Too tempting though!!!

I might make some cherry coconut balls tomorrow, I promised Kyle`s boss I`d make some for him personally, I can`t really hand them into the office as one of the girls is allergic to coconut, so when I described them to him, he was like a puppy, so I said this week or next I`d make them for him if he promised not to open the container up in the offices. Will try not to eat them too, so very rich and sweet, but gorgeous!!

Lazy night ahead too, fancy a night with my feet up on my husband and watch some episodes of Taggart!!

Had to google what halupki was.
duh…
To-mate-o
To-mat-o
all tastes the same going down.

well, expect my halupki are absolutely amazing :). Still simmering away, will be a few more hours, mine are all day slow in electric roaster. Always toss in the leftover cabbage to make it merrier.

yes, I’m somewhat giddy, smell has been driving us nuts all day. The mr in a not so good way as he hates the smell of cabbage cooking lol
IMG_4676.jpeg

To-mate-o
To-mat-o
all tastes the same going down.

well, expect my halupki are absolutely amazing :). Still simmering away, will be a few more hours, mine are all day slow in electric roaster. Always toss in the leftover cabbage to make it merrier.

yes, I’m somewhat giddy, smell has been driving us nuts all day. The mr in a not so good way as he hates the smell of cabbage cooking lol
View attachment 835568

1708496933916.jpeg

I`ve honestly never cooked a dish like that, but it looks so warming and I`ll bet you it`s full of flavour.

I rarely do cabbage other than stir fried savoy cabbage, but the smell can be an issue with steamed cauliflower and brocolli and others from the same family. I use a cup of water boiled in a small pan with half cup of vinegar, that takes away that odour and adding a bay leaf or two to the pot is supposed to help too. I put half a cut lemon into a bowl of boiled water and blast it in the microwave on high for about 10 minutes, that helps massively too. One of my friends adds some green bell pepper if she`s simmering cabbage in a recipe, she says that works, I`ve never tried that one.

Hope it was delicious!!!

Janet
send me a bowl of that…

::yes::

As much as I made, you can have a Tupperware containerful!

True story, I was in a large store only a matter of weeks ago and asked a young lady where the Tupperware was....she looked at me with a completely vacant look and had no idea what Tupperware was. I very quickly realised and asked for plastic storage tubs, she knew what I meant then. But I did wonder if Tupperware was a dying word and the younger generation generally don`t use it and is it still a thing today. I asked Kyle, he knew what it was, and two of the younger ones in his office last week and they all knew what it was, probably heard their mum mention it as we`re all a similar age. Did make me think though.

Heading out after all today, I bought some new table mats for the kitchen table last week, finally got round to opening them and one is marked, so will pop back and get a refund as I decided I didn`t like them anyway. Will look again and see what I can find.

Tonight dinner is the other half of the lamb curry I made last week, once it`s defrosted I will add some red pepper and mushrooms, a little more natural yoghurt and some more bullet chillies as we did think it could have been slightly hotter and this is a slightly smaller portion than last time, will cook coconut rice to go with it.

Lunch should have been out today with the others, but change of plans as sometimes happen. I do like our Wednesday lunch group but I had cancelled as I thought we were having Elise today, so next week for us again. Will make grilled sandwiches instead.

On my second cuppa this morning, no plans to rush out early today but it is windy out there today and rain will be on most of the day, 40+mph for a time in the middle of the day, then back to just above 20mph, least it`s not snow.

Avocado on toast this morning, might pop a poached egg on top and another pot of the new tea, we did like it, as recommended we didn`t let it steep for too long, very nice.

And another Wednesday......middle of the week again!

1708499300563.jpeg

cv44-S.jpg

Happy Wednesday 😁

Ah that oh so dark commute, but very glad not that many out with me driving. And then so quiet in the office for another half hour or so.

And who do I see in the dark?
IMG_3142.jpeg

Camel, and he’s smiling knowing that this hump of a day feeling Wednesday, get over this hump feeling day, and then Friday is a day away. Thirsty day when you wake up tomorrow. Woot!

Fast week with a holiday Monday and hehe, lazy Friday for me this week.

And so, tea in my cup from bottled water, and still have a few pieces of raisin bread, so quick breakfast for me.

Weather. 24 out says my phone as sitting in office. Yeah surely felt cold as I came out the door, and had to scrape some ice off my car windows. Sigh. Winter still here. But as we get ever that much closer to March, warmer days are coming. And the rain too. But a quick enough dump of rain, saying late Thursday into Friday morning. Then 10 day forecast shows only rain chance next Wednesday.

Ah that early morning it is. Hope all have a most Wonderful Wednesday today.

I don't think you can buy Tupperware in stores here.
There are still Tupperware parties where you can order it, but I don't think you can just go out and buy it.

The younger generation buys the cheap containers sold at stores. Most of it is junk and wears out quickly. My mother has Tupperware from 40 years ago that she still uses.

I don't think you can buy Tupperware in stores here.
There are still Tupperware parties where you can order it, but I don't think you can just go out and buy it.

The younger generation buys the cheap containers sold at stores. Most of it is junk and wears out quickly. My mother has Tupperware from 40 years ago that she still uses.

I'm in Canada.
I could be wrong, but I don't think they sell it in stores here.

Yep, a lot of storage stuff is cheap and won`t last. I don`t think Tupperware parties are a thing here anymore, but who knows. And yes I still have Tupperware stuff from years ago and I know my mother does too as we always tease her about it, she always said it would outlast her!!

I should have added the plastic storage units I bought weren`t actually Tupperware in the end, I think now Tupperware is just a generic name now for those kind of plastic storage things.

I found Tupperware brand containers at Target recently.

I might have a look in there on our next trip, see if I can find something a little different.

Had a lovely day despite the weather being not as nice as we`d like.

Although we weren`t meeting everyone for lunch, we ended up dropping in on friends on the way home from shopping, ended up staying there for lunch with them, it was rather nice and passed a couple of hours on a wet and windy February day. She made a lovely Asian noodle salad with spicy chicken

Came home and made the cherry coconut treats, they are lush, very rich and sweet with the condensed milk. I think Kyle`s colleagues will be pleased with them. The little box is for Kyle`s boss, he`s our guy, and the big box now has a second layer, plenty for everyone and the girl who is allergic to coconut will keep away from them. Everyone will wash their hands after they`ve had one and it`s not a life threatening allergy so she was fine when Kyle asked her if I could make them and send them in.

Funny thing is Kyle doesn`t like them....lol......no chocolate in them!

i-3wf8nLT-X2.jpg

Had our lamb curry with coconut rice for dinner, added some tiny bullet chillies and some red pepper, genuinely lovely dish and very filling, so will wait a while for tea and have one of the coconut treats we kept back for us each, maybe in an hour or so.

Colder weather coming up for us.....winter coats and boots have a while before they`ll be getting put away yet!

Hey all, getting ready to drop off care packages of the halupki to some very excited sounding people :teeth:

still have lots of Tupperware from those home parties, they just never die. Also, different sizes picked up, mostly larger ones of Rubbermaid. It’s sturdy too.

PS Tupperware world headquarters is in kissimmee, used to offer tours, not sure now

for the drop offs and to lessen sting of rarely getting them returned, I use Hefty brand reusable 28 & 38 oz ones in bulk at sams club. Come out to $.30 a piece I have a couple in rotation here that have been holding up to repeated usages since xmas meals, surprised TBH.
that takes away that odour and adding a bay leaf or two to the pot is supposed to help too. I put half a cut lemon into a bowl of boiled water and blast it in the microwave on high for about 10 minutes, that helps massively too.
Never heard the bay leaf trick. personally, I enjoy the smell of cabbage cooking all day. Especially sauerkraut, grew up with it, evokes pleasant memories :). as infrequently as I cook it, my family can deal lol

Hey all, getting ready to drop off care packages of the halupki to some very excited sounding people :teeth:

still have lots of Tupperware from those home parties, they just never die. Also, different sizes picked up, mostly larger ones of Rubbermaid. It’s sturdy too.

PS Tupperware world headquarters is in kissimmee, used to offer tours, not sure now

for the drop offs and to lessen sting of rarely getting them returned, I use Hefty brand reusable 28 & 38 oz ones in bulk at sams club. Come out to $.30 a piece I have a couple in rotation here that have been holding up to repeated usages since xmas meals, surprised TBH.

Never heard the bay leaf trick. personally, I enjoy the smell of cabbage cooking all day. Especially sauerkraut, grew up with it, evokes pleasant memories :). as infrequently as I cook it, my family can deal lol

I`ve never tried the Bay Leaf trick for that, but might give it a bash next time I steam cauliflower, we have a Bay Tree out back, no excuses there! Yes, every now and again makes it hard for folks to complain I suppose.

I can imagine how excited folks are to get your care package.....nothing nicer than sharing home cooked food like that.

That`s the phrase they should have used for their ad campaign.....Tupperware never dies....lol.....

It's 30F here right now and forecast is 38F for Friday!

Normally at least -20 this time of year. I have my spring fall jackets out already.

Positively tropical for you....... :rotfl:

You are bred tough up there for sure!!! We`ve had low 50`s today and I`m still cold!! I didn`t have my winter coat on last few days though as it`s been incredibly mild, but might have one on tomorrow till Saturday...chilly weather on the way!!

It`s amazing what you can eat when you think you`re full!! Tom made us a pot and brought through one of the treats to go with it, nope....one wasn`t enough, we had two each, very moreish!!

I`ll never be slim 🥴

Needed to use waze app (Gps) this afternoon to get around a construction delay. The following popped up on my page, remembered as frequent destination directions I’ve requested in past

Check out where the AI has arbitrarily determined I work
A2A9B007-4F5E-4BAA-BFA7-94BD58958AD8.jpeg
For those of you who aren’t familiar with WDW addresses, it Appears I visit epcot frequently enough that it thot That was my work address :p

Good evening. Not much going on here today. I went into work this morning but discovered my stomach was still a bit iffy. I also discovered that Chick-fil-A makes a very good chicken noodle soup. Hopefully I will be back to normal by tomorrow.
B had her job interview this afternoon. She thinks it went well. Now she waits.

I’m probably going to fall asleep while watching TV. I’m trying to decide between watching classic Doctor Who or Murder She Wrote.

Needed to use waze app (Gps) this afternoon to get around a construction delay. The following popped up on my page, remembered as frequent destination directions I’ve requested in past

Check out where the AI has arbitrarily determined I work
View attachment 835839
For those of you who aren’t familiar with WDW addresses, it Appears I visit epcot frequently enough that it thot That was my work address :p

lol......that`s a classic!!!

Good evening. Not much going on here today. I went into work this morning but discovered my stomach was still a bit iffy. I also discovered that Chick-fil-A makes a very good chicken noodle soup. Hopefully I will be back to normal by tomorrow.
B had her job interview this afternoon. She thinks it went well. Now she waits.

I’m probably going to fall asleep while watching TV. I’m trying to decide between watching classic Doctor Who or Murder She Wrote.

Murder she Wrote is always comforting when laying along a sofa when poorly!! Or anytime really, amazing woman and love that show, well, most of them. Hope you feel ,uch better today and can get back to normal again.

And again, still sending good wishes your daughter gets the job, waiting is the worst though. Did they give her a time frame that she would hear whether she was successful or not? Hopefully it won`t be too long to wait for her.

We have rain and should be raining all day and windy too according to the forecast, we did think we`d get out a walk today but it`s not looking likely. And a little colder than it has been next couple of days.

Not much going on today, grocery shopping, farm store visit for produce and then home I think, might have a day doing all those little jobs we all put off, but have to be done. Inside of all the upstairs windows for me I think. I do love big windows for how much light they stream in, but cleaning them is something else.

Thinking roasted salmon for dinner tonight, parmentier potatoes and various roasted veg, will see what we pick up, no idea for lunch yet, but breakfast soon, avocado on toast with a poached egg. Will drop by the farm today and pick up another tray of 30, gorgeous eggs with the most vivid orange yolks.

Cuppa first, and as is usual, when sleeping beauty gets up, time for breakfast and that big pot of tea, can`t beat that morning tea. Well, afternoon tea is pretty nice too.....then once we`re ready, will drop the goodies off at Kyle`s office, quick dash in and out and hopefully they`ll enjoy them, end of the week treat.

1708585194554.gif

cv47-S.jpg

cv32-S.jpg

Happy Thirsty Thursday!!​

Ah, hot tea for some time this morning. 30 degrees out, and had to scrape that thicker ice off the car windows. But glad it’s a very fast drive, with most of the cars going out of the city, not in. But me and five others came in the line entering the complex.

Charade, I hope you are feeling better today. On my local news, they said a stomach virus like that rotovirus one, is rampant in the NE corridor, and I think my sister got it, as had upset stomach since Saturday. She’s slowly feeling better. Mummy dust well wishes sent down your way. And little one likes that chicken place’s chicken noodle soup, so sounds like a good pick for a comforting meal.

Oh so dark out and cool., 27 says my phone now. Brr.

But glad last day of commuting and last week day routine of this two day shorter one. Sweet. And after laptop off, stopping at hair salon before ending at home. Yay, pampering and legally blonde by early evening today.

And so, is surely a Thirsty Thursday, given time of year, as still good to be hydrated in the Winter time. Good morning everyone.

Back to week day routine I go. Hehe, DH said couldn’t you retire now? Well yes, given I’ve been here over 30 years. And where I am, you have to have at least 20 years and 55 years or more of age, or 30 or more, and any age. I do remember some when I first started, had been working since they were 17 years old, and many did retire in their early 40’s. But nope, want to be almost a decade older before I do. But have to say, did not realize how much less stressful working at home would be. But at least I do earn time off, so doing that lazy day fun sooner or later. Dry period time as no holiday off time for almost 4 months. And, interestingly never traveled the month we are going this year. Even if not the hottest there, will certainly be much warmer then where I am. Ah, I’m like Olaf. Summer time, ahhh. Much better then the icy out warning I got as I turned on my car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter