Somewhere to get food 24 hrs?

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
I am diabetic - at sometimes my the diabetes fairy does a tap dance on my forehead and my blood sugars plummet unexpectedly. Should that happen I'll need to get access to either something like cookies, or preferably a PBJ as that tends to help my sugars come up quickly, but not too high... and it also helps keep my sugar from going down again. Is there any place that I can access food quickly if this should occur?

Room service is 24 hours a day. (Edit to add: they're not always super-fast, though).

I don't think anything else (besides the drink station - soft drinks have sugar...) is 24 hours.

HI Kat...I don't know if room service is 24 hours and I am far from an expert on diabetic conditions, but I remember a time a diabetic friend of mine had low blood sugar. He had some sort of attack and ran into the parking lot where he collapsed. The bartender ran out with orange slices and that seemed to recover him until he could be professionally taken care of. Only based on that I would suggest keeping a bowl of fresh fruit at a minimum in your cabin. FWIW

I can do liquid sugar in a pinch - but it shoots it up so quickly it's a last resort, liquid sugar processes faster than non liquids because it's already broken down.

Room service is 24 hours a day. (Edit to add: they're not always super-fast, though).

I don't think anything else (besides the drink station - soft drinks have sugar...) is 24 hours.

As others have said, room service isn't always quick. You could keep a few things in your room fridge to have on hand - once you have that, order another to keep for the next time. Ideally, this would be something to talk to your doctor about - perhaps he/she could recommend something like glucose tabs to travel with which would also be good to have when off the ship.

I wouldn’t rely on immediate food access in an emergency- room service can easily take an hour or walking to acquire food can be a hike..

bring pre package snacks or acquire something soon after boarding to store in your room. I usually grab an extra dry cereal at first breakfast for the kid to much on when it’s not easy to acquire more food.

I am diabetic also…..you can always grab a couple single serve cereals, yogurt, bananas, oranges, apples from the breakfast buffet at Cabanas to keep in your room. Also order cookies from room service (they come several on a plate covered with plastic wrap) to keep for emergency use. Also from room service the All Hands on Deck cheese plate for extra protein need, it comes with grapes and crackers . All these items can be kept in room for emergencies.

As others have stated, Uncrustables PB&J are available via room service and I believe I've seen them at the quick service locations by the pool. you could order as many as your cruise has nights the first day and keep them in your mini fridge. Just ask they not be opened for delivery.
Just note, room service is NOT available the last night of the cruise after a particular hour and most ports will not allow you to bring food off the boat with you to eat so prepare for that.
I remember grabbing an extra box of cereal for snack and not eating it. Rather than throw it out, I took it home in my carry on. Now I don't encourage taking food home off the boat but since this was sealed and I knew they'd throw it away, I did take it home in my carry on. You probably could do that with the uncrustables if you don't eat them as long as they remain sealed.
You are allowed to bring sealed snacks on the cruise with you as well. So if you can get away with peanut butter crackers (the ones like a little sandwich) that could be something you can come prepared with. Again, as long as they are prepackaged and sealed.

I would bring some glucose tablets with me. If your blood sugar is unpredictable, have some of those with you at all times is probably a good idea. Depending on what the cruise line permits, you can also consider packing some peanut butter crackers or peanut butter stuffed pretzels to have with you at all times. A box of those takes little room in your suitcase.

I'm sure you already travel with glucose tabs and some type of snack. I'd be prepared with a few extra of the snacks -- like pre-packaged peanut butter crackers or such. Once onboard you can easily grab a few snacks from Cabanas or room-service to keep in the fridge (@Henlady has some great suggestions above). While room-service is 24 hours (except the last night closes at midnight) I would not count on that for "quick" and you'll need something readily available in your stateroom to tide you over until it arrives. Some ports do not allow any food to be taken off the ship not even for medical need, some will allow unopened pre-packaged items; DCL will post the information each evening for the next day's port stop so you can plan accordingly.

Actually as has been revealed in the upcoming Magic UK Staycations, room service will NOT be 24hrs, so plan accordingly if this crosses over into the US cruises on DCL. They're evolving the protocols on the ships every week and this was something I noticed about the changes on the Magic's upcoming UK itineraries. So be aware and as has been suggested pack pre-packaged snacks that will get you throuch any glycemic crisis.

I'm diabetic as well and no way would I rely on anyone else at 2am if I needed a quick snack. I'd definitely have cookies or a sandwich available in your room for this purpose and not have to rely on wandering around the ship or calling room service and waiting for something to arrive. Planning ahead and having it readily available is a super simple fix to this problem.

You could always bring something into your room earlier and have it available as needed.

This is what I do....always something in the room. Usually fruit or cookies. I also carry the sugar tabs with me from home......and bring my own snacks from home I know I will want and use

There's a small fridge in the room, I'd try to pick up some goodies during the day and leave it in the fridge. We always ordered fruit with our breakfast and kept it in the fridge. My kids ate it that night usually and we kept it in the fridge.

Thank all of you, I really appreciate the guidance and advice. I'll order something for the room before bed to keep on hand. I don't know why but my blood sugar almost never plummets unless I'm sleeping so I don't really need to worry about excursions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter