• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Son insists on Monorail ride first...

My kids think the "right" way to arrive at MK is on the monorail or by boat and we have been known to take a taxi to the TTC and get on the monorail instead of taking a bus from a resort for that reason if we do not stay at a monorail hotel. As the OP said, the vacation is for the entire family and if that is what was most important to my kid, we would do it also if we could manage it. My 9 year old DS insists that he MUST ride the People Mover the first day we are there. Does anyone else in the family think the People Mover should be a priority on Day 1 - no, but it makes him insanely happy and he is entitled to that joy!

Just an FYI the Resort Monorail "usually" starts at 8:30 AM and the Express Monorail "usually" starts at 9:30 AM on Tuesdays these days and April 25 is a Tuesday(of course that could change by then).:)

Courtesy of OTPN
pqcV.png

1st - I would see if he was willing to wait... 2 rides around or the Epcot loop if we can do it after lunch???

If it has to be first thing - I would Uber to the TTC and then hit the park with the rest of the people arriving by car to MK via the monorail.

THis is not a criticism about trying to accomodate your child. WE do for my DGD whenever we can. However, logistically, trying to make the monorail the forst attraction on MK day may be more of a letdown than a fun surprise. It is not reliable lately, and after rushing to get into place to ride it to the Mk, if it breaks down, or you get stuck on it ( you only get stuck on inopportune times) the stress may be horrible.

WE also love the monorail, and try to ride it as soon as possible. I think an arrival night spin may be a great way to kick off the trip, We do this and it is a lot of fun, you get an overview of the park, and if you want to hop on the Epcot loop that just adds to the trip.

If he doesn't need the entire loop, I'd Uber to the last resort before MK on the resort loop (I can't recall if that's Grand Floridian or Contemporary) and just take monorail from there to MK since no issue with multiple stops.

If he doesn't need the entire loop, I'd Uber to the last resort before MK on the resort loop (I can't recall if that's Grand Floridian or Contemporary) and just take monorail from there to MK since no issue with multiple stops.

It's the Grand.

My thoughts

1. Who is in charge here. If you have other plans than that's what the family should do. A child should not dictate your schedule.

Going to disagree vehemently on point #1. Let the kid be a kid. Give the child an option with some knowledge: "you can do this but you would have to get up very early or you may miss a ride and wait in longer lines later in the day" and see what he says. Options and flexibility are always #1. I know for me, my kids know I know what I'm doing so we stick to my plan usually but it's a trip for them, I am happy if they are happy.

Last edited:

As others have said if you get in not too late the night before, go that night. We took the monorail Saturday night over to the Poly and had a snack of pork nachos and flat bread. Kids were so excited to start their Disney vacation and ride rides (took the boat back to MK) and we didn't burn a ticket

I'd make it the thing on your arrival night. Even though I think the monorail is a lot less unpredictable than some people around here, why take the chance at a meltdown or screwing up your entry plans. Get settled in, catch a bus to the MK and ride the resort loop. Or take a bus to Epcot and ride that one -- longer ride -- and then catch it back if you don't want to mess up the first glimpse of the MK up close. Or go get some quick serve at CR or Poly. If you're worried it will be a deal, then do what you can to take it out of the first-day equation.

Plus, they'll be hyper at the resort anyway. :)

I have learned to never underestimate the importance of that first monorail ride to MK, nor to overestimate the odds of it being available. Because of our DGS' love of the thing, the rule is "if there is a choice when we are heading to MK, the monorail always wins." Yes, we also go joyriding on it, always do the Epcot loop, although we never get off there.

After reading your suggestion, I ended up making a breakfast res. at Kona Cafe. We'll grab an Uber over there and take the Monorail after we eat. (and if it's not running, we can take the boat. I've prepared my kid for the possibility of a non-working Monorail)

Thanks for the great idea!!

Just an FYI the Resort Monorail "usually" starts at 8:30 AM and the Express Monorail "usually" starts at 9:30 AM on Tuesdays these days and April 25 is a Tuesday(of course that could change by then).:)

Thanks, but we will be trying this on Wednesday the 26th, so hopefully there won't be that issue.

After reading your suggestion, I ended up making a breakfast res. at Kona Cafe. We'll grab an Uber over there and take the Monorail after we eat. (and if it's not running, we can take the boat. I've prepared my kid for the possibility of a non-working Monorail)

You may want to consider the quick service Capt Cook's. They have Mickey Waffles and Tonga Toast at about half the price and it'll be quicker than Kona Cafe.

LOL. As I was reading the other replies, what popped in mind was that the some people book PPO breakfasts an hour before RD that require one to get up just as early as taking the monorail loop and also have a chance that something could delay them from making rope drop and no one criticizes that choice (totally not my cup of tea to get up that much earlier and eat). Now you're doing both. :teeth:

My son adores the "ronomail" and considers it a right and proper Disney ride so I get it. Enjoy your vacation. May the monorail be with you.

LOL. As I was reading the other replies, what popped in mind was that the some people book PPO breakfasts an hour before RD that require one to get up just as early as taking the monorail loop and also have a chance that something could delay them from making rope drop and no one criticizes that choice (totally not my cup of tea to get up that much earlier and eat). Now you're doing both. :teeth:

My son adores the "ronomail" and considers it a right and proper Disney ride so I get it. Enjoy your vacation. May the monorail be with you.

My girls called e monorail the "Limo" and chose it over anything else!

The last two times we have been to Disney in the last year the monorail wasn't open when we got there early enough to get to rope drop. At least twice we had to take the ferry, and once the ferry couldn't run due to fog, so we all had to get on a bus. Fun. ;)

Either arrival night (make a few loops!!!), or you will be fine getting there early to do it. It's the kids vacation, too. Letting them get "their way" is a good thing..

Courtesy of OTPN

I am pretty sure April 25 will still be a Tuesday by the time it rolls around...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter