Son turns 3 mid-trip...

MissMet

DIS Veteran
Hi all. Next month we will be at WDW for 12 days. On day three of our trip our DS will be turning 3. My understanding is that because our trip starts before he turns 3 he does not need park tickets. This rule seemed to be confirmed by the fact that I did not need to assign him FP+ for our entire trip. Just wondering if people in a similar situation had any issues with getting into the parks or through the FP+ line? I'm especially worried about the day of his birthday when he'll be wearing his b-day shirt, hat, & pin and he clearly didn't just turn 2.

Also, does the same apply for the restaurants? Not trying to work the system at all, but also wouldn't mind taking advantage of saving some money at the buffets if this is truly Disney's policy and what they intend for. For example, when booking the fireworks dessert party it did not allow me to pay for him. Not looking to cheat the system, but want to know how to go about our trip.

Thanks!

You are correct and have nothing to worry about! We went earlier this year with my son turning 3 mid-trip, and we had no issues at all.

For the sake of planning, including restaurants, consider him 2 the entire trip. We didn't have anyone question his age, even when celebrating his birthday at the restaurants.

I was a little worried, despite this being official policy, that we might have some issues, but I was worried for nothing. We only once had a cast member at the front ask when his birthday was while he was wearing his pin (being more friendly than inquisitive) so I simply said "later in this trip," which was technically true.

You will be just fine and have no issues. Our daughter turned 10 on our last trip to Disney in Feb and that would have bumped her up to adult pricing for tix. She ordered off the kids menu the entire time and nobody every asked her age and when we did character dining or reservations, we booked, 2 adults 2 kids. I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with kids food ordering. BUT I am sure it's happened.

Mine is turning 3 a few weeks after our planned trip. I am hoping they give me a button and I plan to wear it on him the entire trip :) we did that with my other son (but he actually turned 3 during the trip) and he loved hearing happy birthday from everyone!

We took our daughter for her 3rd birthday She turned 3 on wednesday of the week of our trip. I asked in advance about the age issue and was told that "disney won't penalize you for having a birthday". She wore her birthday button the entire trip, we told people when her birthday was and had NO issues. In fact, quite the opposite. We were given special treatment the whole time. She was put in the FP line when we didn't have FP, cupcakes with all her meals, Pooh throwing confetti on her at lunch, etc... It was wonderful!!

You could go with a 4 year old and claim they were 2 quite honestly. No one would likely know the difference and no way to prove it anyway. Not advocating breaking any rules, but I don't know many people that walk around with their kid's birth certificates.

Mine is turning 3 a few weeks after our planned trip. I am hoping they give me a button and I plan to wear it on him the entire trip :) we did that with my other son (but he actually turned 3 during the trip) and he loved hearing happy birthday from everyone!

If they don't automatically give you one (if you have the birthday noted on your resort reservation), just go ahead and ask for one! They will be happy to give you one. You can ask at your Disney resort desk, Guest Services in any of the parks, and even most of the shops in the parks and the Disney stores in Disney Springs will have them. There's also usually someone on Main St. with a whole basket of buttons at the Magic Kingdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter