Son wants to get a BFA in photography, but we're worried about his employability with it...

the School he’s looking at is Ryerson University in Toronto. It’s a BFA in Image Arts, I believe.

They offer a minor in other areas, as well, so maybe I could convince him to do a marketing minor. I think he might like that type of work. Again, though, are Jobs in that area plentiful?
I am in Vancouver but know of Ryerson. I just looked up the program and saw that the photography program also is intergrated with digital option which is definitely more versatile in today’s world. Looks like an opportunity to learn more web based media as well. I agree at a minor in marketing would help too..

Last edited:
the School he’s looking at is Ryerson University in Toronto. It’s a BFA in Image Arts, I believe.

They offer a minor in other areas, as well, so maybe I could convince him to do a marketing minor. I think he might like that type of work. Again, though, are Jobs in that area plentiful?
It sounds like there would be quite a few tracks and options he could pursue, especially with a minor in something like marketing, along with navigating a versatile program, hands on experiences, and meeting mentors, contacts and resources along the way. Even if he decides to go into something different altogether, if he completes his degree, that’s a plus. It says something about him as a person and as an employee.

How hard of a worker is he? Is he highly self-motivated? Willing to work for peanuts until established? If no to any then he's not going to make it.

Our daughter wanted to be a journalist but never really put in the work or understood how hard it would be. She failed miserably. Decided to become a teacher at which she does very well.

How hard of a worker is he? Is he highly self-motivated? Willing to work for peanuts until established? If no to any then he's not going to make it.

Our daughter wanted to be a journalist but never really put in the work or understood how hard it would be. She failed miserably. Decided to become a teacher at which she does very well.
He works hard if it's something he loves. He avoids work when it's not. So, typical 19 year old?

He works hard if it's something he loves. He avoids work when it's not. So, typical 19 year old?
Yep. Photo jobs will be tough to land. has he entered any shows? How did he do? What exactly would he learn in college he can’t learn on his own?

Most universities and colleges in Ontario have the statistical information regarding career employment after graduation. Both employment inside career parameters and outside of it.

My brother went to Ryerson when it was a polytechnical institute and never looked back. He was in landscape architecture. And used to comment that his Master's, in California, was not even close to challenging - in comparison to his undergrad at Ryerson. He felt he was in a great position with his studies, and work placements, going forward. It was a long time ago but obviously they were successful at actually providing a strong base in the area of choice.

As for photography, I have a friend who has been a professional photographer his entire life. He is now a professor at a university, and without a MA/PhD. He has often said that colleagues from his earlier career flourished when they could and knew how to pivot with changing times. If they didn't, they were left behind. With many having to close up shop. So that ability meant just as much as technical skill, as it does in any industry.

All the best to you. He is very lucky to have you both. It is an entirely different world not to factor in debt when making these decisions.

Last edited:

There is a big difference to me graduating in with a possible worthless degree and no loans then with one and loans galore. Sounds like he has the luxury of no loans and the chance to take some risk.

Yep. Photo jobs will be tough to land. has he entered any shows? How did he do? What exactly would he learn in college he can’t learn on his own?
No shows, but he did take photography in high school, so it's not just a fun thing with an iphone.

Still. He said no to the major in marketing. Turns out he hated that stuff. That gives me pause, since a degree like that means being able to market yourself.

No shows, but he did take photography in high school, so it's not just a fun thing with an iphone.

Still. He said no to the major in marketing. Turns out he hated that stuff. That gives me pause, since a degree like that means being able to market yourself.
Did he have other ideas for a minor that would make him more employable? His answer to you makes me wonder if he’s really thought it all through.

Archeology, Military History, Anatomy and Physiology, Mortuary Science/Forensic Science, Architecture, Museum Management, Travel and Tourism, Creative Writing, Journalism, a Tech-related field, etc...lots of options for Photography to blend with a non-Photography major/minor that isn't marketing.

Total waste of money unless he wants to fund college himself, in my opinion. Make him major in something else and let him minor in photography. There’s a reason why the term “starving artist” has been around for so long. Paying for a kid to go to art school is like paying $200,000 for your kid to eventually work at Starbucks.

It’s a good side hussle…photography, that is, but hard to make it as a full time gig.
Not always the case, at all. My daughter went to a $200,000 art school (Ringling) and has been very successful. She has worked fulltime for an industry leader in two different roles and other top companies for freelance. She has decided to go the totally freelance route soon for flexibility and being able to work in two art areas she loves. The contacts and education she gained at Ringling were top notch. She has also watched many friends and acquaintances succeed.
I think you have to begin with a child who has a lot of talent, the drive to succeed, and great work ethics. Lacking either of these can lead to a hard road.
That all being said, I don't know anything about photography students. I would suggest doing research on top photographers in the field in which he wants to work. Where did they go to school? What was their path to where they are now? Where did they intern, start out, etc? Linkedin can be a great resource for this information.

I've been a successful photographer in NYC for ten years (weddings, family portraits, and events). I am self taught and you don't need a degree in photography to become a photographer. Instead of a degree in photography, I would recommend taking business courses so that you know how to be self-employed and run a business. Other photographer friends of mine who do have BFA degrees have said over and over again that the fine art skills they learned in school were virtually worthless and that they wish they had more business skills under their belts.

Figure out the path/goal first then figure out how to get there, if that's a BFA great...if not then start working on whatever it is.

I think people choosing degrees without knowing where they are going is the problem.

I think this is right. I was ready to allow DD20 to pursue a degree in Theatre, because she would have a degree, and skills in public speaking, etc. Many other possible majors she would have found unbearable. She settled on Parks & Rec instead, with basically a concentration in Theatre. Whether that will get her a high salary is debatable but she is supremely happy (and has had good luck finding internships in the meantime so I think she'll be fine).

For your son, I would ask if this degree is reasonably affordable or if it is going to put you and/or him in much debt for it. If affordable, I'd say let him go for it and like you say he'll have a degree which may be all it takes to get a decent job in something.
Would love to know more about your daughter's experience with Parks and Rec. My son is graduation from high school and is pursuing this course of study. His major has a long name. Something like Outdoor leadership, non-profit management and tourism. Curious about the internship opportunities and employment outlook for this. Thanks for anything you can share!

Not always the case, at all. My daughter went to a $200,000 art school (Ringling) and has been very successful. She has worked fulltime for an industry leader in two different roles and other top companies for freelance. She has decided to go the totally freelance route soon for flexibility and being able to work in two art areas she loves. The contacts and education she gained at Ringling were top notch. She has also watched many friends and acquaintances succeed.
I think you have to begin with a child who has a lot of talent, the drive to succeed, and great work ethics. Lacking either of these can lead to a hard road.
That all being said, I don't know anything about photography students. I would suggest doing research on top photographers in the field in which he wants to work. Where did they go to school? What was their path to where they are now? Where did they intern, start out, etc? Linkedin can be a great resource for this information.
Our daughter when to Art school and has an amazing job. Most students did get jobs in their field, but it is commercial not fine art. Every major company has artistic needs now to support their web interests. You need to follow the money.

My daughter went to Vassar and wanted to major in film. I told her since she will be graduating with some debt, she better have something other than film. She double majored in film and economics. She works as a culture reporter for a large media company - nothing to do with either major. All her interviewers were impressed as the majors were not even related. My daughter always said it made for great conversation and she told the interviewers that films need to make money and economics makes sense from the business side of the industry. Double major is the way to go. If too many credits a minor in something else helps too.

Would love to know more about your daughter's experience with Parks and Rec. My son is graduation from high school and is pursuing this course of study. His major has a long name. Something like Outdoor leadership, non-profit management and tourism. Curious about the internship opportunities and employment outlook for this. Thanks for anything you can share!

PM sent!

My daughter is getting ready to graduate with a BA as a Studio Arts major from a public liberal arts college. She will have a double minor in art history and dance.

I had the same reservations and also pushed for a marketing minor. If not for covid/virtual classes, she may have kept her arts in tech minor. She loves what she does and I finally quit fighting it.

Her first talent is drawing but she has developed photography skills now. She is looking into photo editing and does not plan to try to be a FT photographer. She has learned the editing programs through her classes. She may take some tech or interior design classes if she needs/wants to add some skills.

Best wishes, I know it is not easy to figure out the right choices!

My experience …..my daughter wanted to be an actor. We have always expected her to go to college (and she has always wanted to go). She wanted to get her BFA in theatre. I told her that I did not care what her degree was in, as long as she went (and hopefully finished 😬🙃), knowing how many jobs (no matter what type of job) are wanting employees to have degrees. She graduated with her BFA in theatre, even had the opportunity to study abroad for a year, and has been working professionally as an actor since graduation (national tours, commercials, etc). I especially wanted her to go away to college for the different types of things and people that she would experience. I have never been of the mindset that you should only get a degree that will guarantee you a stable job.

That being said, my husband does not have a degree (did a little over a year and then dropped out because work was interfering with class). What type of work…he’s an actor 😝. Has been very successful at it (film, commercials, etc).

I graduated with a degree and have been working in my degreed profession for over three decades. I got a job before I graduated and it pays extremely well.

I feel we are all successful 🥰

Oh, and every single BFA graduate that I know (and I know plenty) have been consistently working in their chosen profession.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter