Son wants to get a BFA in photography, but we're worried about his employability with it...

DD21 planned to major in theatre and she is but is double majoring in that and mechanical engineering. As someone upthread mentioned, in interviews they are intrigued by the two vastly different majors. She loves theatre and always will but she is also money motivated. So much of what works for one kid won’t work for another and is dependent on the kids personality. DD will be interning in NYC this summer as a theatre consultant…basically it’s an engineer with a theatre background. Who even knew that was a job??!! Good luck to your son and you in helping figure it all out.

DD21 planned to major in theatre and she is but is double majoring in that and mechanical engineering. As someone upthread mentioned, in interviews they are intrigued by the two vastly different majors. She loves theatre and always will but she is also money motivated. So much of what works for one kid won’t work for another and is dependent on the kids personality. DD will be interning in NYC this summer as a theatre consultant…basically it’s an engineer with a theatre background. Who even knew that was a job??!! Good luck to your son and you in helping figure it all out.

There’s definitely a lot of crossover with how much mechanical engineering is needed in sets (I know of someone who made a great living doing stage turntables and such in NYC). Also if she’s ever interested in working for Disney or another major theme park/themed design company, a lot of employers look for people with theatre and engineering backgrounds. She could totally be an Imagineer!

I have been following this thread as my S16 also wants a career in the arts. He has had a lot of training with people who are in the industry. He knows very well what the job situation is like. Has your son worked with people in photography? Can he arrange to shadow a working photographer or two?

There is no way that I would pay for my son to get a fine arts degree. Money is tight and he is high functioning autistic, so he will probably never have the social skills to network his way from career to career. When he goes to college, it will be with the purpose of gaining securely marketable skills. I don't have a trust fund to leave him and I want him economically secure when I'm gone. Fortunately, he is equally practical and is motivated to succeed in life, as well, not just to follow his whims.

I'll add that I once knew a young couple from church who struggled with money, especially after having a baby. They were both college educated, but he still didn't have a career, and she wanted to be a stay at home mom. She had been some kind of art major in college. Not sure what he majored in, but he definitely hadn't been on a career track, and he was visibly unhappy about his lack of prospects. The woman once commented that while it had been nice to be encouraged to study what they were interested in, more awareness about what life costs and what different jobs pay would have been valuable guidance, too.

Last edited:

I have been following this thread as my S16 also wants a career in the arts. He has had a lot of training with people who are in the industry. He knows very well what the job situation is like. Has your son worked with people in photography? Can he arrange to shadow a working photographer or two?
Sounds like your DS really knows what he wants and how to get it.

No, my DS hasn't worked for a photographer. He also hasn't put in his application yet and it's past due, so I'm wondering if he's having second thoughts, himself.

It's hard for kids with a lot of interests but nothing that 'jumps' out to really find what they might want for the rest of their lives. But that's life, isn't it. We all just do the best we can and hope we've made enough good choices to have the chips fall in to some good options in our future.

Sounds like your DS really knows what he wants and how to get it.

No, my DS hasn't worked for a photographer. He also hasn't put in his application yet and it's past due, so I'm wondering if he's having second thoughts, himself.

It's hard for kids with a lot of interests but nothing that 'jumps' out to really find what they might want for the rest of their lives. But that's life, isn't it. We all just do the best we can and hope we've made enough good choices to have the chips fall in to some good options in our future.
If he has multiple interests, I'd encourage him to job shadow people in the fields that he is interested in. It doesn't need to be a long commitment. He could also find summer, weekend or after school programs that would give him exposure (see what I did there! :) ) to photography or his other interests.

I agree with your husband and would worry a out job prospects. A major decider in my major was the future of the profession along with the ability to land a good job without the need for a graduate degree.

I'd try my best to push my son towards something more employeable but would be careful to not make it an ultimatum.

All that being said one of the best employees I ever managed had a music undergraduate degree, then got his MBA, and flourished in a difficult role that blended technology and people management so no one is stuck with a less than ideal undergraduate degree forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter