• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Son wants to quit sport

NCAA athletes have drug testing, too. And playing a sport in college is a full time commitment, along with full time school work. The college athletes I know (including my DS) don't have a lot of time to party, they wouldn't make it very far day after day if they did, with all the work they have to do along with ongoing supervision and the threat of being cut or benched if not performing. Maybe some teams do, idk, but not his. At least not regularly. (They have been known to celebrate a win, naturally.) The collegiate summer team he's on this year emphasized character along with ability. There's not a lot of partying going on there, either. The manager lives with them and is, let's just say, not the partying type. :laughing: But it does seem a little unfair to paint college athletes with such a broad brush. In August my son will be home and it will be the first break he's had since September (as he still had daily practices during winter break). He'll resume his regular job as well.

(I've only read the first page and this one.)

Honestly, with all the talk about concussions and lasting effects lately, I'd probably be jumping for joy that he wanted to quit football! Two sports is a lot, and most kids eventually specialize.

But even without that, he's just moved to a new school. What he's likely really choosing between is two groups of friends. - Trust his instincts to know where he'll fit in.

I'd have no qualms about "finishing the season" - since it hasn't actually started. And if you're worried about too much time on the Playstation, just set "blackout" hours when he agrees not to be on it.

NCAA athletes have drug testing, too. And playing a sport in college is a full time commitment, along with full time school work.

My dd's boyfriend is starting college this August, he is on the track team and I am amazed at the requirements he has as a player (are they referred to as players, idk?). I don't think he will have any time to party at all, he isn't even allowed to have visitors for the first 6 weeks of school.

I think that the pp will find many that had the same experience as her, but there are just as many that had the opposite. I quit college to work full time, but that didn't keep me from partying with all my friends still in college ;)

My dd's boyfriend is starting college this August, he is on the track team and I am amazed at the requirements he has as a player (are they referred to as players, idk?). I don't think he will have any time to party at all, he isn't even allowed to have visitors for the first 6 weeks of school.

I think that the pp will find many that had the same experience as her, but there are just as many that had the opposite. I quit college to work full time, but that didn't keep me from partying with all my friends still in college ;)
Wishing him good luck. :goodvibes They're referred to as athletes; their sports, athletics.

Are you the kind of bad influence my mother warned me to stay away from?

I have a confession to make: I suppose my 2 older kids are the "questionable influences" the OP spoke about.

Both have jobs, and have since the summer after their freshman years of high school.

My son works in a supermarket when he's not attending college... where he's majoring in Criminal Justice. And my daughter is, as I type, working at a local Italian Ice place.

Neither has ever played football, though my daughter was on the lacrosse team until she killed her ankle.. does that redeem her at least a little?

I imagine it's only minutes until I bet banned for life from the Dis. Who knows how far the bad influences will go?

I think it's one thing to quit during a season, since once you have the first practice you've committed to your teammates. But other than that, I had lots of friends who made the decision to stop a sport or try something different and they often had great outcomes. There's no need to do the same thing at 17 just because you did it at age 7.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter