Song of the South re-make

stepmommyof1

Mouseketeer
I have read on here about song of the south and then I watched it on YouTube. So....if Disney can't release it and they can't show the subject matter because it might offend then why don't they just make a re-make of the movie and this time make it not have anything controversial so they can still sell it.

I have a copy on VHS (pal version) - it used to be available in Britain, not sure if it still is or not.

I have semi-legal video copy of Song of the South. It was a UK format video copied onto a US format video. I bought it online about 10 years ago. I think I paid $20 or $25.

I don't understand what is so "controversial" about it. :confused: I just sat down and watched it again this morning. I hadn't watched it in a while. I still can't see anything about it that would keep Disney from re-releasing it. They never even state that the black people are slaves. For all we know they're hired hands. And they had to have some sort of freedom because Uncle Remus was going to move away. He couldn't do that if he was a slave.

Even so, kids have to learn about slavery sooner or later. And Song of the South is one of the most gentle ways to do it. Even the American Girl books about Addy Walker, the Civil War-era girl, are more... er... graphic than SotS. Nobody in SotS was ever beaten or mistreated.

I know Disney released it on video in the '80s and it was quickly recalled. But I don't understand why. :confused: :confused: :confused: I wish they could find a way to release just segments of the Brer Rabbit stories. String those together and maybe add in a couple new stories to fill in some gaps. The could call it The Adventures of Brer Rabbit.

sailorstitch

Based on what Bob Iger's said in the past, I wonder if a remake is less likely than a DVD release. I think it's disappointing that Disney can't at least own this movie, even if it's something they'd rather not associate themselves with. (Of course, since one of the most popular theme-park attractions in the world is based on the movie, you'd think they wouldn't run away from the movie.)

I think the least controversial way for Disney to release it would be to do a disclaimer noting the era and maybe an educational bonus feature on slavery. Then make it an exclusive through the Disney Movie Club. The movie would be available and they would be gaining new members at the same time. Something like this would along with additional release of the older movies would be enough to entice me to join.

It dosen't need a remake, editing, or any disclaimers.
It's a great Disney movie and shame on them for not releasing it!!

I've also seen the film (via youtube) and feel that it's really not that bad of a film. From what I understand, it's supposed to take place in the reconstruction period, so it's not portraying slavery (though I am aware the conditions for most African Americans weren't great and basically working as a sharecropper was only a slight step above slavery). Still, the only "villains" in the live-action portion of the film are white people (Johnny's mom, Ginny's brothers). Honestly, I feel like Disney keeping Song of the South in the vault makes the film seem more controversial and offensive than it really is.

I also agree with what sailorstitch said. I think Disney needs to give younger kids more credit than they are. I was a big fan of the American Girl books in elementary school, and the portrayals of what the African American people endured under slavery (and the racism towards them in the North) was harsher than anything in Song of the South. If anything, Song of the South could be a useful teaching tool to teach younger kids about Black History and that time period. Disney re-released the film several times in theaters (most recently in 1986), so if those generations of kids could handle it, I don't see why this one couldn't. :confused3:

I think the least controversial way for Disney to release it would be to do a disclaimer noting the era and maybe an educational bonus feature on slavery. Then make it an exclusive through the Disney Movie Club. The movie would be available and they would be gaining new members at the same time. Something like this would along with additional release of the older movies would be enough to entice me to join.

I think releasing it with some bonus features on the controversy, the history of the stories (they were actual folk tales familiar to southern black children), and slavery would be a wonderful solution! The movie is a positive piece of history, it shouldn't be swept under the rug.

instead of rewriting magic why dont they reference it,

it could be the children telling the stories of brer bear and gang to their children, the stories that were told to them by uncle remus, it would make a great story, a retelling of the origional cartoons with maybe some new advances in technology, make the entire movie in cgi quality graphics.

I agree that releasing it through the Disney Movie Rewards system (a la the DuckTales movie or Zorro) is probably a smart move. Especially since I doubt this would ever be a mass DVD hit, it seems like targeting the dedicated fans like us is shrewd.

I don't find it surprising that Disney isn't releasing SotS on DVD, as it's incendiary still, though I also think easily accessible films like Gone With the Wind give an equally antiquated portrayal of African Americans. I agree with previous posts that with proper historical contextualization through audio commentaries or extra content, an educated viewing of the film can be had.

Still, I'm not holding my breath. Disney is less concerned about history than it is about mythology. Indeed, SotS had good intentions in portraying African Americans as a mythologized simple, kindly folk (its a condescending stereotype, but, hey, its positive--I mean, its not Birth of a Nation), but that mythology has, thankfully, changed. It's not a bad thing that today African Americans have more control over how they're portrayed in the mainstream media. SotS is a great example of white people trying to tell black people who they are. Not cool. (It's the same pitfall Disney fell into making Pocahontas--good intentions ending up as condescension.) That doesn't mean that SotS should be completely taken out of the discussion of race in America.

Having seen SotS on a video released in Japan about twelve years ago, I do think it is disingenuous of Disney to be willing to have other nations get an inaccurate perception of African Americans, but not having the guts to risk an uncomfortable discussion in its home country of America.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter