• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Songs that are often used inappropriately/misunderstood...

I thought of one! REM's "One I Love"---I have seen more people who just listen to that first line and get all sappy and think of it as a love song. The very next line is "This one goes out to the one I left behind"
Soo not a love song:rotfl:

I remember once a senator from New Jersey formally proposing that Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run be the state song. Then they listened to the actual lyrics:

Baby this town rips the bones from your back
Its a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while were young

Hm. Wonder why *that* proposal went nowhere?

He must have been too busy thinking about someone's hands strapped across his engines :rolleyes1

Another misinterpreted love song, Possession by Sarah McLachlan. The title of the song should give it away, but I had friends that would comment on the sweetness of the song.
Sarah McLachlan had a stalker that wrote her crazy letters. She took excerpts from the letters and wrote the song.

I know that I'll be so alone in this...

Carly Rae Jepson's "Call Me Maybe". From the first time I heard this song it sounded like one of those crazy stalker girls, right down to the Psycho shower scene-esque cascading notes riff in the refrain.

I know that I'll be so alone in this...

Carly Rae Jepson's "Call Me Maybe". From the first time I heard this song it sounded like one of those crazy stalker girls, right down to the Psycho shower scene-esque cascading notes riff in the refrain.

There is a great youtube spoof of it, doing just that!
http://youtu.be/Sd3Sfo4eDrU

"Hey I just saw you...With that laaaaaaaady....Paid for her dinner, that's kind of shady":rotfl:

"I Write the Songs" by Barry Manilow.
Everyone thought it was him writing about himself, and being quite cocky to boot. ;)

Actually the line "I am music and I wrote the songs" makes it a song about music itself and how musical notes and sounds put together develop into a song.

And he didn't write it, it was written by Bruce Johnston.

Pina Colada song. I was in my 30's before I realized what that song was about -- had seen people use it alternately as an upbeat romance / vacation song. Yeahhhh, not so much.

I've seen "You Don't Know Me" by Ray Charles used as a song in big romantic movie moments where the couple dance. Beautiful song. DEPRESSING song.

A friend of mine put "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" on her birthing CD, and looped it because it was SO peaceful. Gets teary now when she hears it because it reminds her of her son's birth. I love that song, but it is about someone leaving forever and never meeting them again until after death. I love the song, but can't say I want that associated with my L&D.

Lips of Angel by Hinder. It's a cheating song! It's about another girl calling his phone at a bad time.

So many people think George Jones's He Stopped Loving Her Today is so awesome and sweet but it's about him dying and a lost love basically.

Lightning Crashes by Live. The delivering mother doesn't die, it's an old lady down the hall. It's supposed to be about the circle of life or something.

Oh there's some "Christian" dating site that uses a Jars of Clay song...I don't know the name but the chorus is "I want to fall in love with you.." Also not a song about romantic love.

"It's a Small World" - was originally meant to be a slow song, not the way it's sung in the ride.

There is a great youtube spoof of it, doing just that!
http://youtu.be/Sd3Sfo4eDrU

"Hey I just saw you...With that laaaaaaaady....Paid for her dinner, that's kind of shady":rotfl:
Literally laughed out loud watching that video. That girl cracks me up with all of the stuff she has posted on that site.
Pina Colada song. I was in my 30's before I realized what that song was about -- had seen people use it alternately as an upbeat romance / vacation song. Yeahhhh, not so much.
THIS! Oh how romantic: They both decided to seek out the personal adds to cheat on each other and it turns out that they picked each other to cheat with. On what planet is that romantic?

It took me until I was an adult to realize Olivia Newton John's "Let's Get Physical" was not about working out.

Our dear friends (and their parents) danced to Crank Dat by Soulja Boy at their wedding. They all thought that Superman meant...ya know, Superman. They nearly died when I told them to look up "Superman" on Urban Dictionary.

You told them after the fact? I guess I would have thought ignorance is bliss in this case.

Oh there's some "Christian" dating site that uses a Jars of Clay song...I don't know the name but the chorus is "I want to fall in love with you.." Also not a song about romantic love.

"Love Song For A Savior"
I guess, like "Awake and Alive" by Skillet (totally rockin song btw!), it's meaning could be taken either by love for Christ or love for someone special and inspiring in their life.
I had no idea Skillet was a Christian rock band. not that it matters because I really like them.

Hope I'm allowed to write what I did...don't want to get in trouble!:eek:

"Lola" by the Kinks

"Love Song For A Savior"
I guess, like "Awake and Alive" by Skillet (totally rockin song btw!), it's meaning could be taken either by love for Christ or love for someone special and inspiring in their life.
I had no idea Skillet was a Christian rock band. not that it matters because I really like them.

Hope I'm allowed to write what I did...don't want to get in trouble!:eek:

"Lola" by the Kinks

Thank you number one pet peeve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter