Sony Playstation network

The worst part of this is that Sony didn't encrypt the data they stored.
It was clear text, human readable, as easily read as this forum.

75 million users data. laying out in the open (for all intents). All the hacker needed to do was impersonate a developer account.

For the record, this means that all the Sony Devs also had access to all our info as well.

Sony went cheap on security. We pay the price.

Wow....I do not have a PS3. I do have a Wii and an XBOX.

Now I refuse to use a credit card on a system, however my sister uses it a ton on the Wii.

This incident just confirms what I do. I buy points and then input that. I hope that strategy offers protection from hackers.

Since they broke into Sony are they able to break into your home computers since they are linked with your gaming system? KWIM? I obviously know nothing about hacking.

I'm really upset. I just found out about the data breach this morning, after DS left for school. I'm not sure if he used his info or mine, and if a credit card was used (it would be mine) I know I've purchased the playstation points cards, so I'm hoping no credit card.

I do know the log in name and password is one he uses for everything. I guess he'll be spending his afternoon changing all other log ins and passwords.

It never occurred to me this wasn't safe.

I'm really upset. I just found out about the data breach this morning, after DS left for school. I'm not sure if he used his info or mine, and if a credit card was used (it would be mine) I know I've purchased the playstation points cards, so I'm hoping no credit card.

I do know the log in name and password is one he uses for everything. I guess he'll be spending his afternoon changing all other log ins and passwords.

It never occurred to me this wasn't safe.

This is why I will never get a Nook or anything that forces me to use my credit card. You HAVE to HAVE a credit card on file. I think that is crap.

At least with gaming systems you can buy points cards. Although not being a computer person really I can't say if that offers protection.:confused3

ITUNES is the worst. NEVER use you CC on there. They get hacked constantly, FYI.

Wow....I do not have a PS3. I do have a Wii and an XBOX.

Now I refuse to use a credit card on a system, however my sister uses it a ton on the Wii.

This incident just confirms what I do. I buy points and then input that. I hope that strategy offers protection from hackers.

Since they broke into Sony are they able to break into your home computers since they are linked with your gaming system? KWIM? I obviously know nothing about hacking.

Using Prepaid cards safe.. they can't tie that back to you.. also your network is safe as well.. they don't include any ip information.

Also , after changing all your passowrds (or your sons wor whoever) be VERY wary of any emails "from" Sony, or a game publisher asking you to log in and provide your info again.

After the Elipse hack last week where all the email addys got hacked, i got an email from "Disney Destinations" telling me i had won a free 2 week all expences paid trip. I just had to click the link and pay the taxes.

The only problem was that i know Disney Destinations doesn't use Hotmail accounts :) The link went to a server in the NZ area as well. But it looked JUST LIKE a real disney site.

Be VERY carefull from here on out...

My DS10 is jonesing to play Black Ops online with his friends. The network has been down since Wednesday because it was hacked, and Sony is rebuilding the entire network! The week of Spring Break was bad timing on this, lol.

Anyone else suffering?

Not me -- especially since the Call of Duty series is rated "M" (Mature Audiences). I certainly wouldn't let any 10 year-old in my house get into that.

...just sayin'...

Not me -- especially since the Call of Duty series is rated "M" (Mature Audiences). I certainly wouldn't let any 10 year-old in my house get into that.

...just sayin'...

Seriously? And why do you care and why is it your business? :sad2:

My 12 year old plays Black Ops too, so add me to the bad parent list.

Just sayin.....:rolleyes1

Seriously? And why do you care and why is it your business? :sad2:

My 12 year old plays Black Ops too, so add me to the bad parent list.

Just sayin.....:rolleyes1

Hey! Move over, please. I am determined to win the bad parent award this year.

If COD turns my son into a serial killer, I will accept full responsibility, though!

Hey! Move over, please. I am determined to win the bad parent award this year.

If COD turns my son into a serial killer, I will accept full responsibility, though!

I won it already, I let mine play online :scared1:

He has been shaking like a crack addict ever since PSN went down ;)

Add me in the parent of the year....my 12 year old is addicted to Black Ops online with his friends. So all you high and mighty parents can flame me! I can take it......

Oh yea, well I have dd's and my 20yodd whipped her new BF and his band member's on Left for Dead Expert mode.

She said let's play on expert and they said oh no, that is hard. She laughed at them and said I play with my 46yo mother on expert.

She crushed them. I am so proud.:laughing:

It affects everything that requires access to the network, which netflix also requires. I definitely play my fair share of games, but I frequently fall asleep to something on netflix and that's been screwing up my routine for the past week.

(The playstation screen goes dark when its not in use, so there isn't a bright light to bother me because I've been too lazy to reprogram the universal remote. LOL)

It asks you to log into the PS network when starting Netflix but you can still use Netflix :)

Ahh, jumped the gun...nevermind :)

I won it already, I let mine play online :scared1:

He has been shaking like a crack addict ever since PSN went down ;)

That made me laugh!!

My son mostly plays on the Xbox network but I can imagine if it went down he would be right there "shaking" with the rest of them!! I'm still giggling over that though! Teenagers can be very dramatic, can't they:lmao: Everything is always the end of the world!

My boyfriend owns a house and rents out the rooms. He's had a Russian guy living there for several months and he bought a PS3. The guy works 80-90 hours a week and told my bf to use it whenever he wants. My bf was playing it constantly (Call of Duty) and I was his "co-pilot" (I looked out for the little red dots of the enemy :laughing:). He was really wanting to the play the game the first 1-2 days the Network went down, but now he says he's glad it's down and will not be playing anymore. He hasn't even tried to get on since last Friday. We're not TV or computer-after-work people so we've enjoyed going for long walks after dinner (he lives a couple blocks from the beach) or just sitting outside :goodvibes.

as a bad parent.. i am one..

My son started with Quake 2 back when he was 3 months old (I would sit him on my lap while i played).

He has been playing online shooters since Halo 2 came out.. we just turn off the Mic chat. (and he can beat me every time we play)

My DD (who is 11 now) completed L4D on expert the first weekend we had it. She asked for L4D 2 for her 10th birthday.. and the guy at the store was hesitant to sell it to me..

we just turn off the Mic chat.

Seriously that seems to be the worst part of the game :sad2:. My bf doesn't have the mic/headset thing, but we can still listen to what the other people say. That's quite the eye opener :eek:. Although, we did hear one guy (who sounded older) fighting with his wife/gf about the game and all of their other issues, as well as some guy singing throughout the entire game.

as a bad parent.. i am one..

My son started with Quake 2 back when he was 3 months old (I would sit him on my lap while i played).

He has been playing online shooters since Halo 2 came out.. we just turn off the Mic chat. (and he can beat me every time we play)

My DD (who is 11 now) completed L4D on expert the first weekend we had it. She asked for L4D 2 for her 10th birthday.. and the guy at the store was hesitant to sell it to me..

Impressive. I still can't beat it on expert by myself.;)

I called my credit card company and asked them to close the account and issue me a new card, just to be safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter