• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom...can someone please explain?

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
As many times as we've been, we've never done this. How does it work? My kids love the Agent P adventure in EPCOT, even though they are 13 and 11 (12 and 10 at the time). Would they enjoy SOTMK? Are they too old? Where do we start? Thanks!

This is pretty much the same idea as Agent P. You have clues and once you find them there is a "special effect" that happens and takes you to the next clue. I think you start at the Firehouse on Main Street. I think there is somewhere in Liberty Square you can start too. My son really wants to do this (we did the Pirate one two years ago) and he's 12. I think they would enjoy it!

This is pretty much the same idea as Agent P. You have clues and once you find them there is a "special effect" that happens and takes you to the next clue. I think you start at the Firehouse on Main Street. I think there is somewhere in Liberty Square you can start too. My son really wants to do this (we did the Pirate one two years ago) and he's 12. I think they would enjoy it!

Thank you! And what are the cards that everyone talks about?

Thank you! And what are the cards that everyone talks about?

Very similar to playing cards, each with a different character and different in-game abilities. It may be a little out of date, but this site last I knew had an overview: sotmkblog.com

It works very similarly to Agent P, in the sense that you go somewhere in the park and do something there.

When you start your quest (either at the Firehouse on Main Street, or behind the Christmas Shop on Liberty Square), you'll get a pack of cards per guest. You will then be directed to a portal (they'll give you a map and a key to open the portal).
You use your key to open the portal, a clip will show, eventually a bad guy will show up and you have to use your cards (any card will do if this is your first quest) to defeat them. Then you will be directed to another portal. After 3-4 portals you'll defeat the main bad guy (a major Disney Villain), and you'll be directed to another "Land" in Magic Kingdom to start another quest.

I believe there's 8 main villains, and then Hades from Hercules as the last boss.

You get a pack of cards each day you visit the park, and each time you defeat the entire quest (8 villains + Hades). It takes quite a while to do the whole thing though, if your time is limited I'd only do one or two villains.

The cards are collectable, there's 60 cards that can be obtained inside the free packs you get for visiting the park, there's 10 extra cards that can only be found by buying a special pack, and then there are some limited edition cards that are given during special events, like the Christmas and Halloween parties.

Last edited:
It works very similarly to Agent P, in the sense that you go somewhere in the park and do something there.

When you start your quest (either at the Firehouse on Main Street, or behind the Christmas Shop on Liberty Square), you'll get a pack of cards per guest. You will then be directed to a portal (they'll give you a map and a key to open the portal).
You use your key to open the portal, a clip will show, eventually a bad guy will show up and you have to use your cards (any card will do if this is your first quest) to defeat them. Then you will be directed to another portal. After 3-4 portals you'll defeat the main bad guy (a major Disney Villain), and you'll be directed to another "Land" in Magic Kingdom to start another quest.

I believe there's 8 main villains, and then Hades from Hercules as the last boss.

You get a pack of cards each day you visit the park, and each time you defeat the entire quest (8 villains + Hades). It takes quite a while to do the whole thing though, if your time is limited I'd only do one or two villains.

The cards are collectable, there's 60 cards that can be obtained inside the free packs you get for visiting the park, there's 10 extra cards that can only be found by buying a special pack, and then there are some limited edition cards that are given during special events, like the Christmas and Halloween parties.

That sounds fun! I'm sure my kids will love it. I can't imagine why I've never thought to do it before! Thanks for everyone's help!

My kids love it. In fact, they love it so much that they like to spend up to 2 hours on it.

I am not a "game" person--my 4yo gets my cards. I try to limit them to an hour.

I would have an idea now much time you wish to play this game.

A little tip, there seems to often be someone hanging out at Tortuga Tavern ready to trade cards. Great way to off load duplicates and get playing advice.

My boys, ages 12 & 14, love SOTMK! Make sure everyone in your party gets their free pack every day, this way the kids get quite a few cards every day. To defeat the villians you will face a card, or a group of cards, toward the screen..............if you have the character Woody then he will lasso the villian. If you combine Pumba (an animal full of gas) from Lion King with the candlestick (fire) from Beauty and the Beast ......the combination will mix the gas with the fire........ for a fireball that can defeat the villian.

Me and my sisters are in our 20s and love playing this game! We spent an entire day during our last trip just playing it. It's a nice way to enjoy the parks without having to rush around to get on rides/attractions. There were some lines for some of the portals, but we really enjoyed it overall. There was also an interactive POTC quest type game to play over in Adventureland that we loved. I'm not sure if that one is still there, but we really enjoyed that one, too.

A little tip, there seems to often be someone hanging out at Tortuga Tavern ready to trade cards. Great way to off load duplicates and get playing advice.

I noticed this when we were playing SOTMK for the first time a couple of weeks ago. A group of adults sitting around a table studying their big binders of cards. I swear, we never noticed anyone playing SOTMK before but when we were playing we saw it everywhere! So many people with binders full of cards.

That would be my hubby....have binder will travel. ;)

He loves it ! One of my daughters likes to play with him and my other daughter and I take a couple hours to do things we like.

Do adults play this game, too, even if they don't have any kids with them? My husband and I are thinking of playing this game. We've seen people playing it and it looks like fun.

Do adults play this game, too, even if they don't have any kids with them? My husband and I are thinking of playing this game. We've seen people playing it and it looks like fun.

I'm 35 and my friends and I play. It's a fun game, and the portals are really creatively hidden and set up. Last time I played I noticed far more adults were playing than kids. For me, it was a good way to see the different areas of MK. The portals are set out of the way of main traffic areas, so you aren't trampled on by the crowds. Definitely give it a try next time you're there.

Adults play all the time. I'd actually agree with the above poster and venture that I see more adults than kids playing. Went last month with 5 others, all adults, and we all played. The six of us were arguing over who got to hold the map and scrambling over each other to hold our cards up to the portal! It's a lot of fun and a great way to learn your way around Disney. I like doing it when waiting for peak hours to tick away, or late at night when no one is around. During EMH evening it feels like you're really saving the World. :)

I should add that you can play as a team, and up to 6 cards shown will register to the portal. Do just one team for your family/party, as making different teams will cause you to have to split up eventually.

Playing at night is fun, but some portals are not as night friendly as others. The cameras don't seem to pick up the cards as well at night as they do in the day. I have yet to get the cards to read at night at the train station.

If you happen to go on a Party night (MNSSHP or MVMCP) they have special cards for party goers.

Got a good tip last time. Since I am over 6 feet tall somebody suggested I hold the cards lower. The reason they gave is that the cameras are aimed down looking for kids that are holding cards. I did this and did not have anymore problems with spells working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter