Sorceror game learnings

ParrotBill

Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me
Some things we learned I did not read here in recent months...

Two or more can play as a team
You can add a team member if they have never played

The portal locations and order you visit in each land are random (different for each lip layer or team )

If you are on a split stay and move your ticked to a new room key you lose your game! Or must use your original ticket card to resume. This was today's annoying learning. Our kids completed first level the other day and must replay it now or I have to go back to the room ms find the last room keys. (How do we resume next time we visit?)

You can cast multiple spells at once or double a spell for which you have two cards.

It took about an hour to complete the first level with no wait or short waits at the portals.

Will post more as we go.

Thanks for this. We have not tried Sorcerer's yet so I'm trying to find out as much as possible before our visit. Does one game or level cover the entire park or is it limited to a certain land/area? I'd would be interested in your other thoughts and experiences.

We have never read the books but may be interested in playing the game when we get back to MK. Can you tell me where to go online to get the break down tutorial on what it is and what it is about for someone that knows nothing about it? I tried to google it before but could only find tips not an actual info regarding the whole game.

Thanks!

Interesting to know about the ticket. I thought the game was tied to your portal key card (you get it when you sign up for the game). I only needed that to play the game in various lands. I only needed my park ticket to get the daily pack of cards. If you loose your portal card, you'll need your park ticket to get a new one.

Yes, multiple people can play as a team. In fact, that's a common recommendation for families. If you don't play as a single team, you will most likely end up split up and sent to different portals/lands. If you play as a team, you'll get to stay together.

In the easiest level you don't necessarily need to play multiple spell cards or have the boosts (e.g., t-shirt), but those become increasingly important at the hard level. I don't think most folks ever get past the easy (introduction) level because you have to defeat all of the villains in order to complete the difficulty level.

I too noticed that the game can take a while...it's worse when you have to wait to play. You'll have probably already seen your cut scene by the time you play (if there are enough folks in line ahead of you). I generally think it's best to play when it's relatively empty in the park.

Thanks for this. We have not tried Sorcerer's yet so I'm trying to find out as much as possible before our visit. Does one game or level cover the entire park or is it limited to a certain land/area? I'd would be interested in your other thoughts and experiences.

Each villain is in one land, but there are more than one villain assigned to each land (except Tomorrowland, which isn't in the game). For example, if you have to defeat Ursula, you'll be sent to a portal in Fantasyland. For there, you'll run around Fantasyland to the various portals until you defeat her. After that, the next villain/land is random. You mighty be sent to "battle" Scar in Adventureland or you might face Cruella on Main Street.

We have never read the books but may be interested in playing the game when we get back to MK. Can you tell me where to go online to get the break down tutorial on what it is and what it is about for someone that knows nothing about it? I tried to google it before but could only find tips not an actual info regarding the whole game.

You do not need to read any books to be able to play SotMK. Basically, it's a card based game where your main goal is to defeat each of the villains and "save" the MK for being taken over by Hades (the villain from Hercules). You start at the Main Street Fire Station (or behind the Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square). A CM will ask for your tickets and they'll be scanned. You'll get one pack of cards (5 cards) per valid ticket per day. You'll also get a map and a portal key card (don't loose the key cards). The CM will then walk you through a quick demo and tell you where to go first. Then it's off to save the MK! There are several portals in each land (except Tomorrowland). You need to find the correct portal to continue the game. The map can help you find the portal...they're pretty easy to find. Scan your key card and the game begins. It usually consists of a cut scene and then you must "cast" a spell or spells. Basically, select a spell cards and hold it up in front of the screen. An animation based on the card will be shown. Either the villain is defeated or you have to follow him/her to a different portal within the same land. Continue until the villain is defeated. Once defeated, Merlin will tell where to go next (i.e., the portal and land). You'll continue to do this until you've defeated all of the villains. At that point you advance to the next difficulty level.

There is lots of good information on the SotMK Blog. I highly recommend taking a look at the Game Play and Tips pages.
http://sotmkblog.com/

The game covers five lands only--Main Street, Adventureland, Fantasyland, and Frontierland/Liberty Square. (The last two share a set of portals between them.) To complete a level, you must defeat villains in all four sets of portals at least. To do this may well take several hours.

Thanks!

This game is not related to the Kingdom Keepers series that I'm guessing you're referring to. A rundown of how Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom works can be found at www.sotmkblog.com.

What books are they based on?

None directly--see my previous answer above.

If you are on a split stay and move your ticked to a new room key you lose your game! Or must use your original ticket card to resume. This was today's annoying learning. Our kids completed first level the other day and must replay it now or I have to go back to the room ms find the last room keys. (How do we resume next time we visit?)

When we went in May, we were able to resume our game from December using our portal key. We only use our room key to get new cards. We use our key to play. I'm hoping we can resume again when we go this December.

Are they allowing people to play Medium or Hard levels? Last time I played, we were limited to Easy, even after finishing the game. Thanks!

Are they allowing people to play Medium or Hard levels? Last time I played, we were limited to Easy, even after finishing the game. Thanks!

I think all levels are unlocked now. I think the higher difficulties were making the game slower, but I didn't see too many doing it yesterday versus when it came online last year.

Most people I've spoken to aren't very big fans of the board game. However, most of those people aren't under the age of 16. Younger kids may really enjoy it!

Thanks for the response.

I am mostly looking into it for our family to play- me, hubby, and 3 girls -ages 6, 7, and 8. Is it something we could all play together? Would that age group enjoy it if we have done it already at the MK (I think that might make it more appealing) or is my money best spent elsewhere?

I've tried searching for this and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. For a first time player, is the amount of training (tutorial with Merlin) the same at the Main Street Firehouse as it is at Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe? Thanks.

Thanks for the response.

I am mostly looking into it for our family to play- me, hubby, and 3 girls -ages 6, 7, and 8. Is it something we could all play together? Would that age group enjoy it if we have done it already at the MK (I think that might make it more appealing) or is my money best spent elsewhere?

It is free!. They are the perfect age if they are interested in checking it out. At a minimum, go to the firestation, sign up, and collect your free cards (one pack of 5 free for each park ticket/person). The more cards the better.

They girls may enjoy playing...or may enjoy just collecting the cards too. Unless you have a lot of time, it is fun to sneak time in during a day at MK. My advice is to play as one family (one key card, ask for additional maps for the girls, each will want one), and to buy/bring an inexpensive book (or 3) to store the cards in the park. At a minimum, bring a ziploc bag. Here is the $3-5 book we brought in Jan, and I wrapped it in a brown paper bag, and used it for character M&G (stuck a SOTMK image on the front, found online).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Pro-Portfolio-for-Cards/26832235

I purchased them from Hobby Lobby (online 40% off coupon). They are 4x4 cards. At Walmart, they are up by register 18(ish), where they have a row of Pokeman cards, sports cards, and 'as seen on tv' stuff.

Trading is fun, and often people are in Tortuga trading. Make sure you trade like for like...the star cards are the most rare of the free cards, you only get 1 in each pack of 5. The lightning bolt cards (61-70) cards can only be purchased in booster packs at MK (or online), and then there are party cards, which can only be picked up during a party, with a party ticket. Free, one per person...and they are worth $20-$40 online on ebay, so hold onto those, or trade fro 2+ lightning bolt cards.

We always park hop, and plan on making it to MK each day (staying at BLT) to pick up new cards for our family. The 3yo isn't as interested in the game, but loves opening the cards and collecting them.

I've tried searching for this and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. For a first time player, is the amount of training (tutorial with Merlin) the same at the Main Street Firehouse as it is at Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe? Thanks.

Both have training portals...Firehouse has more training stations, but if you are in the back of the park and want to check it out, just walk behind the Christmas Shop (not inside).

Both have training portals...Firehouse has more training stations, but if you are in the back of the park and want to check it out, just walk behind the Christmas Shop (not inside).

I can't compare but training at the Firehouse was only a few minutes.

There is lots of good information on the SotMK Blog. I highly recommend taking a look at the Game Play and Tips pages.
http://sotmkblog.com/

Thanks for this link! I wanna try it out on my upcoming trip in a couple weeks and the Disney page just does not provide much information about this....

Just one more question that I couldn't figure out - I only get the cards I start with, right? I mean, I won't lose any cards during the game or will gain any, right? So if I want different cards than the ones I received, I will either have to buy booster cards or go back every day to receive another batch of cards, right?

Thanks for this link! I wanna try it out on my upcoming trip in a couple weeks and the Disney page just does not provide much information about this....

Just one more question that I couldn't figure out - I only get the cards I start with, right? I mean, I won't lose any cards during the game or will gain any, right? So if I want different cards than the ones I received, I will either have to buy booster cards or go back every day to receive another batch of cards, right?

You can get a new pack of 5 cards each day. You will not lose any cards but you can always trade your doubles with other players.

You can only get cards 61-70 in the booster packs. You will get one of those cards plus some 1-60 cards in each booster pack.

I can only speak to my experience but I kept my portal key and used that to continue my May 2013 game in September 2013.

I did have an AP and used that to get the new set of cards. That may also be why it worked for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter