Sore back

Kristina

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the board, and just loving it with all the interesting information and the great trip reports :D. I have dreamt of visiting WDW for years now and have finally booked our first trip in November, and I can't wait :Pinkbounc ! However, I have had back problems for awhile now and even though I dream of going on certain rides, I'm not sure I'll be able to. I basically have a sore back almost every morning and have hurt it twice where I couldn't even walk at all at first and then just tiny slow steps for about a week or longer, with a lot of pain of course. I've seen a physical therapist and a doctor, but I am ashamed to say I haven't been doing my exercises as often as perscribed! So I have no one to blame but myself!

I now have a exercise plan that includes swimming 3 times per week, floor exercises as perscribed by my therapist, and in a few weeks time if it feels right I am going to join a gym and work out with weights. I am going to get as fit as I can basically.

It's my hope that besides being pain free and strong (that would be so wonderful!!) that I could go on TOT and Dinosour amongst other rides with my BF. Actually Dinosour I'm not to sure of. There are so many other rides at WDW too that I know I should skip and I will, if my back isn't sorted. I guess I don't have a question other than to say I am hopeful and determined to first get healthy for my day to day life but also for this trip that I've been dreaming of so very, very long!! :D

I won't do anything to stupid at the parks, hopefully, and I respect that others have problems far more demanding and serious on these boards than I. It's just that this is really on my mind and I wanted to share. Anyone else have any similar concerns or experiences maybe?

Thanks for listening :D !

I had lumbar spinal surgery many ages ago and experience back pain/problems from time to time. Fortunately, OTC drugs help most of the time for me.

I did TOT with my MIL -- the free-fall was ok, but the stops were definitely felt in my back. However, it wasn't something that I would think would cause a problem. I sat in a car with a lapbar, so I really didn't move that much. It wasn't the kind of jolt that would do damage to you.

I checked the Dino ride at AKL and watched a Travel Channel program on AKL. I think you could do this ride, if you position yourself with people on either side of you. That way you wouldn't slide to much. The ride was rough, but I didn't feel like I was jostled so badly that I'd be injured or come out in pain.

(Disclaimer: I don't know how sensitive your back is. We're all different and alas I do have a little Pooh-sized padding to "help" me. :o )

I found all the rides were do-able unless you go on them alone. I rode with a couple of people, made sure I was the middle person, sat with my feet as flat on the floor as I could and with my back as straight and comfortable as I could.

Just be careful -- take some meds with you for pain. Talk to your doctor, too, before you go. Maybe he/she can prescribe a week's worth of prescription pain meds that could help you if something unfortunate occurs.

Glad to hear you were able to ride after your surgery, that's great! I hope I can too, and I guess I will know better as our trip grows near and I've done all I can to strengthen my back muscles. I was wondering about TOT, about the stops, so thanks for that. The ride, after it stops it does shoot up again right? I'm worried about that part. Also now they have seatbelts instead of lap bars, but perhaps you can fit them nice and snug so it won't matter. Hopefully!

I have ridden the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland and that was really wild and rough, I had such a great time! What a surprise it was back then :hyper:! The Dinosour ride is modeled after it, just a different theme so it worries me now however I really want not just to ride it for my own pleasure, but also I want to watch my boyfriend wig out on it too. He is going to have so much fun and yet right now he has no idea just how much ::yes:: ! I will take your advice and although it is just me and my bf, snuggle up tight to the other person next to me for support, great idea ::yes::! Thanks for replying :D.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter