Sorry in advance...but please reply!!!

littleprincessmom

Mouseketeer
I apologize for even asking this (b/c I'm sure it has been asked a zillion times before) but we are a WDW (from Ga.) family considering a trip to where it all started...DL!!!! And we need some advice from the DL experts :flower:

Crazies that we are, we are considering a trip to DL between Christmas and New Year's. We've done WDW at that time and know that it is extremely busy but have found that with careful planning (PS's in advance, etc.), it is doable.

Are the DL crowds comparable to WDW crowds over the holidays? More crowded? Less crowded? Manageable?

Despite numerous trips to WDW (only a 5 hour drive), my mom has wanted to go to Disneyland since she was a little girl and my own daughters are HUGE Jasmine and Snow White fans and would love the shows. Also want to try the rides WDW doesn't have. Are we crazy for considering a holiday trip???

All replies will be appreciated! Thanks so much! :earboy2:

I generally find between Christmas and New Years to be a fairly busy time of the year at Disneyland, however we have done WDW at that time of year and I believe the crowd factor to be very close. With some planning of meals and the use of Fast Pass I think you will find it very doable. The park looks terrific with all of the holiday decorations too.

With the 50th it'll be even more crowded, though - keep that in mind!

Remember that the ROSE BOWL and ROSE BOWL PARADE occur here at this time of year...so park is VERY crowded at that time of year b/w holiday crowd, Rose crowd and now the 50th crowd.

yikes... good point!

Thanks for all for replies. What are the least crowded times for DL? Same as WDW (sept, oct, jan, feb???)

Thanks again, DL experts!!!

If you want to go during Holiday season go in early to mid November to avoid crowds. Also from after Thanksgiving until the week before Christmas. October is also a good time to go. You can wear shorts and swim. Just make sure to check the refurb schedule. :wave2:

If you want to go when it is not very crowded but see the Christmas decorations than go the 2nd week of November or the first two weeks of December. We have gone then and the crowds were low and all the decorations were up. If you ever want some more detail on comparing WDW to Disneyland you can email me with any questions. I live in California and have been going to Disneyland since I was 3 but we go to WDW just about every year. As much as we love WDW and would rather visit there we find that there are some things at Disneyland that are better.

Thanks so much to all of you for the replies :sunny:. You confirmed my fears :confused3! We've decided to postpone and go another time but we still definitely want to go!

Thanks again!!! :sunny:

We went early December and loved it - no crowds, few lines and great Christmas decorations, parade and ride makeovers.

I live in Northern CA and we go pretty much every year. I would recommend going the 2nd week of December. You get it all at that time. Not too bad crowds but you still get the haunted mansion overlay PLUS the IASW holiday overlay AND all the x-mas decs.

The park does close earlier but if you stay over till a friday you can see the fireworks and fantasmic.

I recommend the balcony or priority seating.

And if you have never been then Indiana Jones, the Matterhorn and California Screamin are a few great rides that DW doesn't have.

Feel free to ask any more questions as we go A LOT. In fact we are going for the 50th in July so ask away!

Hey Kelly,

Where in Northern Cal are you? I am in Santa Rosa. We are heading down tomorrow for the 4th. Last time we were there they were a few weeks away from finishing the California Adventure. We seem to end up in WDW every year so it was time to get back to Disneyland.

Aloha

Steve

Tikiman said:
Hey Kelly,

Where in Northern Cal are you? I am in Santa Rosa. We are heading down tomorrow for the 4th. Last time we were there they were a few weeks away from finishing the California Adventure. We seem to end up in WDW every year so it was time to get back to Disneyland.

Aloha

Steve

Hi Steve!! I live up near Sacramento area. We have kids 4, 5 and 13 (all girls) and we have tried to get down to DL at least once a year. Ironically the first year we went to DW was a year we were only going to DL. I took my 5 year old when she was 10 months old the first time and then didn't get back for a few years because I got pg with my youngest. We were going to go to DL when the girls were 1 and 2 1/2 but it was right after 9/11 and we got GREAT airfare to Florida so we said what the heck. Sure the little ones couldn't do much but they LOVED it and so did we. We got hooked but being that it is so far and so expensive we haven't been back.

We have however gone to DL about 5 times since then including 4 trips in 04 alone LOL.

Our last trip was Nov 04 where we enjoyed the holiday stuff but it was over the veterans day holiday and as said before I will NEVER go back during a holiday time if I can help it.

That said we had our 2nd trip to the WORLD planned over a year ago and we are going this Oct/Nov for 2 weeks. CAN'T wait. Going to MNSHP and F&W at Epcot.

We also plan to see some other FL sites like Canaveral and Univ. We knew we HAD to go to see the 50th stuff though and planned to go sometime in 06 but with the kids missing 2 weeks of the school year we can't see it happening and we have other vacation plans next summer so we opted to go THIS summer and are headed down the 25-30th of July.

Staying offiste as always in our fav hotel the Staybridge suites and taking a day to go see King Tut at the LACMA.

That's my dis history in a nutshell LOL.

Nice meeting you and you will have to tell me how the crowds/heat were. Also wondering about the parade, fireworks and other 50th stuff.

Have fun!!

Aloha Kelly,

Hey we are not to far from each other. I have spent a lot of time in Sac on weekends. I can remember how much of a treat going to Disneyland was when I was younger and once Epcot opened in WDW I had to go see it so the family took a trip out to Florida. Once I was there I was hooked and could not believe the size. When I was old enough to travel myself I started going to WDW just about every year. We sort of switch off between Hawaii and WDW now but I had gotten emails from an Imagineer out here in California last summer who was staying at the Polynesian Resort in WDW for the first time and had some questions about my web site for the Polynesian so we met out there last summer and our families became friends so we are going down to see them and spend some time checking out the parks and the Grand Californian this weekend. He leaves for the Polynesian the week after (wish I were also). I love Disneyland but it is a quick 2 or 3 day trip and I am done. At WDW we like to go 2 weeks or a minimum of 10 days. We use to do some offsite stuff in Florida and now we stay on property. This will also be our first trip with a child (5 months on Friday) so we will see how that goes. So far he is a good traveler.

Well enjoy your trip and I will let you know how it was when I get back. I have been down at Disneyland before on the 4th and loved it.

Aloha

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter