Sorry to be so geeky, but Space 220 has gravity all wrong

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
I did a quick search to see if any fellow geeks out there had mentioned this already and did not see any threads on it.

I was fortunate to get an ADR for Space 220 last Saturday. My first time there. The whole experience is really cool. But they have their physics wrong! Any other tech geeks out there notice? Didn't anyone at Disney check with someone who knows their orbital mechanics? Heck, Space 220 is right next to Mission Space which had tons of input from NASA!

We were informed when we got on the space elevator that they had the "artificial gravity" working on Space 220. But one would not need artificial gravity on Space 220. When you are at 220 miles above Earth there is gravity. However, if you are moving at a high enough orbital velocity the centrifugal force would balance out the gravitational force - this would create a net zero-g and you would be floating like on the Space Station. That required orbital velocity is roughly 17,000 mph at 220 miles above Earth - the same velocity as any satellite orbiting the earth at 220 miles up. For the record, the formula is V*V/r where V is the orbital velocity and r is the radius of the orbit. r is not 220 miles but the distance to the Earth center - about 220 + 4,000 miles (actually about 3,959 miles) where 3,959 is the approximate radius of the Earth.

But Space 220 does not orbit the Earth. It is a space elevator and so rotates with the Earth. That is why the view out the Space 220 window never changes and you always remain over Central Florida. Gravity on Space 220 would be roughly the same as it is on Earth - near enough that you would not notice.

The floating astronauts in zero-g out the windows? They would not float. They would fall to Earth the same as on Earth's surface. They would need jet packs to stay floating outside the windows the same as they would out the window of your house.

I told my wife all this while we were on Space 220 but she was not impressed and thought I was ruining it all. Oh well!

Last edited:
I did a quick search to see if any fellow geeks out there had mentioned this already and did not see any threads on it.

I was fortunate to get an ADR for Space 220 last Saturday. My first time there. The whole experience is really cool. But they have their physics wrong! Any other tech geeks out there notice? Didn't anyone at Disney check with someone who knows their orbital mechanics? Heck, Space 220 is right next to Mission Space which had tons of input from NASA!

We were informed when we got on the space elevator that they had the "artificial gravity" working on Space 220. But one would not need artificial gravity on Space 220. When you are at 220 miles above Earth there is gravity. However, if you are moving at a high enough orbital velocity the centrifugal force would balance out the gravitational force. That required orbital velocity is roughly 17,000 mph at 220 miles above Earth - the same velocity as any satellite orbiting the earth at 220 miles up. For the record, the formula is V*V/r where V is the orbital velocity and r is the radius of the orbit. r is not 220 miles but the distance to the Earth center - about 220 + 4,000 miles (actually about 3,959 miles) where 3,959 is the approximate radius of the Earth.

But Space 200 does not orbit the Earth. It is a space elevator and so rotates with the Earth. That is why the view out the Space 200 window never changes and you always remain over Central Florida. Gravity on Space 220 would be roughly the same as it is on Earth - near enough that you would not notice.

The floating astronauts in zero-g out the windows? They would not float. They would fall to Earth the same as on Earth's surface. They would need jet packs to stay floating outside the windows the same as the would out the window of your house.

I told my wife all this while we were on Space 220 but she was not impressed and thought I was ruining it all. Oh well!

Pssst. . .mice do not grow to be 5'4" either and fairy tales are not reality--just stories. :D

I do, however, appreciate the science lesson and your knowledge. In all honesty, this is something my son would feel the need to share as well. ;)

SCIENCE! I love it. I haven't been to Epcot since this opened, so I had not thought of it, but yes, I think about all the stuff that contradicts science all the time, being a scientist myself. I, too, drive my family CRAZY with it.
Thanks for the tip on this, because now I can drive my family crazy on the elevator too.

This reminds me of something a childhood friend would have posted so much that I had to check and make sure you weren't him 😂 Sure he had a nerd rep but he grew up to be an astrophysicist so who got the last laugh?

Thanks for the interesting post.

We were informed when we got on the space elevator that they had the "artificial gravity" working on Space 220. But one would not need artificial gravity on Space 220. When you are at 220 miles above Earth there is gravity. However, if you are moving at a high enough orbital velocity the centrifugal force would balance out the gravitational force - this would create a net zero-g and you would be floating like on the Space Station. That required orbital velocity is roughly 17,000 mph at 220 miles above Earth - the same velocity as any satellite orbiting the earth at 220 miles up. For the record, the formula is V*V/r where V is the orbital velocity and r is the radius of the orbit. r is not 220 miles but the distance to the Earth center - about 220 + 4,000 miles (actually about 3,959 miles) where 3,959 is the approximate radius of the Earth.

But Space 220 does not orbit the Earth. It is a space elevator and so rotates with the Earth. That is why the view out the Space 220 window never changes and you always remain over Central Florida. Gravity on Space 220 would be roughly the same as it is on Earth - near enough that you would not notice.

The floating astronauts in zero-g out the windows? They would not float. They would fall to Earth the same as on Earth's surface. They would need jet packs to stay floating outside the windows the same as they would out the window of your house.

This whole time I thought we were actually in space! How dare you ruin it!

In all seriousness, this is interesting. I wonder if any imagineers ever thought about this, or if they just assumed people wouldn't notice.

I haven't been to the restaurant yet, but are you saying that it is in a geostationary orbit and it is supposed to be connected to an elevator that is 220 miles long? That is strange. A shuttle transport with its own propulsion I could imagine, but not an attached elevator. I guess I will have to suspend my disbelief.

I haven't been to the restaurant yet, but are you saying that it is in a geostationary orbit and it is supposed to be connected to an elevator that is 220 miles long? That is strange. A shuttle transport with its own propulsion I could imagine, but not an attached elevator. I guess I will have to suspend my disbelief.
Space 220 is not really "in orbit". It is attached to an elevator. Since in reality gravity would pull it down, it is only geostationary in the sense that the elevator is supporting it and keeping it up there. It moves at the same velocity as the earth surface (well, slightly higher because of its farther distance from the Earth center). Without the elevator supporting it, it would fall down due to gravity the same way an airplane would.

True geostationary orbit is like at 22,000 miles above the Earth surface. Way further than Low Earth Orbit (LEO) at 220 miles. That allows the orbital velocity centrifugal force to match the gravitational force and keep satellites essentially in the same place relative to the Earth surface.

I enjoyed the post as I like science/nerd stuff! Now, what would be awesome is a restaurant that mimicked an actual zero-G situation. Although I suppose it'd be pretty tough to float around and eat and drink - likely a bit dangerous as well. But oh so cool.

Space 220 is not really "in orbit". It is attached to an elevator. Since in reality gravity would pull it down, it is only geostationary in the sense that the elevator is supporting it and keeping it up there. It moves at the same velocity as the earth surface (well, slightly higher because of its farther distance from the Earth center). Without the elevator supporting it, it would fall down due to gravity the same way an airplane would.

True geostationary orbit is like at 22,000 miles above the Earth surface. Way further than Low Earth Orbit (LEO) at 220 miles. That allows the orbital velocity centrifugal force to match the gravitational force and keep satellites essentially in the same place relative to the Earth surface.
I'm not arguing with you, because I am not an expert, but Elon Musk's Starlink satellites are claimed to be in Low Earth Orbit, and they are orbiting, not just falling out of the sky. Why would a space station be any different?

If the only issue is not the orbit but the exact "mileage" above the earth, then I guess we will have to pretend the elevator is longer - since in real life it only goes 220 miles. I know. I was on it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter