Soup in the oven

Kermit

New Mama to Baby Jacob!
Did you know that if you're making soup that has to simmer for a long time, you can bring it to a boil, cover it, and put it in a 350 oven? Since the heat is distributed, you don't have to stir it, and it keeps it at a slow simmer the whole time. I made navy bean soup that way today because I had to do some shopping and couldn't stir (DH was home, I didn't leave the oven on while no one was here) and it turned out perfectly.

I do that when I am making pork chops using the Campbell soup recipe. I usually keep the chops in the oven for a few hours and the pork comes out so tender. The meat falls right off the bone.

Kermit, good point...is that something like a crock pot then? or is it better? just wondering if I should retire the old thing...my grandmother used to do things that way. :)

(I hope that doens't sound like a jab...my Grandmother was the best cook I've ever known...)
:)

Robin, it's faster than a crock pot that way. I don't know if it's because you bring it to a boil first or because the crock pot is actually lower than 350. I like bean soups in the oven, but I usually don't care for them in the crock pot. Another good advantage of using the Dutch oven is that you can put it on the stove with the lid off at the end to cook off extra water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter