South Africa Safari: December 2009

WeLoveABD

DIS Veteran
We booked the safari for the end of Dec 2009 (we'll be there Christmas and New Year's Eve)--sounds jam packed. Anyone else out there signed up for this trip?

Traveling Tink,

I am going to book a South Africa trip on Monday for in June or July. I didn't see July 6 as a choice. I read about there being a signature trip for South Africa, but I can't find any information about it on the ABD site. Are you still going to visit Egypt after your South Africa trip?

HockeyHeather,

Yes, that date for South Africa is a signature adventure. Disney did not list the signature dates on their web site Friday morning. We had to ask them.
Yes, we are still planning to stop in Eypgt on the way back home. I hope you and your mother can join us for the trip.

What have they added with the signature adventure? How much is the additional cost?

I have copied and pasted Disney's explanation of the signature adventure for South Africa adventure below. The cost was $500 extra per person then with the loyality discount, the cost was $400 extra per person.

Here is a link to the same place - http://www.disneywebcontent.com/por...b23f6b110VgnVCM100000174b17acRCRD&SiteID=1866

South Africa - 12 Days/11 Nights
July 6 & 27, September 14 & December 15

Safari to South Africa – Cape Town, The Garden Route and Kapama Game Reserve
Imagine riding with in a safari jeep as a skilled tracker leads you through one of the most stunning and diverse game reserves in all of Africa, or learning age-old survival secrets of the wild on a ranger-lead Bushwalk. Exploring cosmopolitan Cape Town, perched on the edge of the Indian Ocean, with bustling markets, a lively waterfront and sumptuous food. Discovering beautiful Boulders Beach, then meeting African penguins in their natural habitat. And concluding your grand adventure at a Boma, a torchlit barbecue feast and show that is, like everything else on this trip, one of the most extraordinary experiences on the planet.

Special Signature Features:

VIP meet & greet at aircraft and luxury sedan transfer
Upgraded accommodations to the five-star Cape Grace Hotel in Cape Town’s lively Waterfront area
Upgraded accommodations to the five-star Main Lodge in Kapama Game Reserve
Exclusive VIP gift in-room amenity
VIP memento gift from the Gold of Africa Museum’s exquisite gift shop
Special entertainment from the Township Boys Choir in addition to the Cape Minstrels at the Castle of Good Hope exclusive dinner
Exclusive “African Skies” themed dinner with dance entertainment
Exclusive “Sundowner” dinner experience at the Knysna Elephant Park
Exclusive Catch & Release Fishing for Junior Adventurers at Kapama Game Reserve
All included dinners feature complimentary wine and beer

HockeyHeather,

I will be glad to send you all the information as we narrow down our Egypt plans. I will send you some information later today of what tours we have looked at so far for guides, etc.

I have copied and pasted Disney's explanation of the signature adventure for South Africa adventure below. The cost was $500 extra per person then with the loyality discount, the cost was $400 extra per person.
Wow! For the Yosemite trip, the Signature adventure was an extra $900 per person!

Did they give you the loyalty discount on the tour, and on the Signature supplement?

Sayehllo

Wow! I wonder why on the Yosemite Signature adventure there is a bigger charge per person ($900). The loyality discount was applied only one time by Disney. I wish they had applied it both to the tour and the Signature part.

I was considering S Africa but with the single supplement and airfare afterwards i was not sure if i wanted the singature or the regular one. Maybe
another time. Since its a new tour i decided on Germany.

Wow! Only $500 extra for the signature. I am really tempted to do this trip next year. I am just wondering how DH would be with the air. He is 6'4 so we would have to get a really good seat or business class air. I will see how he does with our Europe trip coming up. I am shocked at the price for the SA trip. I thought it would be close to $7,000pp comparing it to other tour companies.

Traveling Tinkerbell,

I booked the July 6 South Africa adventure today. The early booking discount wasn't available. Did you get one? I did get the $100 loyalty discount for both my mom and me. Does it show the cost on the ABD website for the signature trips? I can't seem to find it.

I read the article you recommended about Egypt. That tour sounds wonderful. Did you send me (PM) any of the tour information about Egypt? Do you still have the e-mail list from the Enchanted China trip? I can't seem to find mine.

HockeyHeather,

I have just sent you an (PM) email to your address (I had from the China email list). It is great to hear that you are signed up for the South Africa trip. We will keep in touch.

I checked prices today for the September 14th Signature trip and it is $600 more pp on that date. $4,999pp with the EBD. The EB rate is still open on 10/5 for the adults only trip as well ($4,399.) I am having a hard time deciding between SA and Alaska but I guess I better hurry up and decide if I want an EB rate!

I am a travel agent so I do not know if I should take my chances and see if any discounts pop up for the trips in the future or book at the EB rate. Any feeback from other TA's? There were quite a few good discounts this year!

We are booked on the July 27th signature trip to S.A. I booked on Monday - tried to book Sunday, but they had a computer glitch. I had originally booked the regular trip on opening day for July 15, but then decided I wanted the signature. When I called on Sunday (2 days after bookings opened), all of the EBD's for the July 6th signature trip were gone. The ABD agent said that there are fewer EBD's available for the signature trips than for the regular trips.

IMO, the extras that come with the signature trips are well worth it at $600 pp. Right now, the EBD vs regular pricing difference is $400 pp. That could change depending on demand.

I found out about ABD around October/November last year. By then, all the EBD's for China, which was the only trip I wanted, were gone. I ended up paying $1000 pp above the EBD price. :scared1:

It's hard to know whether there will be future discounts. I wouldn't count on it for the S.A. trips. Any other tour companies that I have looked at are in the $7000-$8000 pp range. There may be discounts on Alaska.

Perhaps you could book both and think it over in the 14 day grace period? :confused3

We are looking to hopefully do the Signature trip next September.

My question is this. I'm getting confused over the best time to go. We read in an African Safari guide that the best time is their winter (no leaves on trees...better ability to see game). That would mean our summer. Has anyone heard when the best time to go is?

Also...I've been told that it is important to be treated with anti-malarial drugs as Kruger Park (where Kampana Reserve is located) is in a malaria area. I was also told that the drugs for malaria (and the illness itself) are very hard on children under 10 years old...damaging to the kidneys. Just wondered what others have found out. I know malaria can be fatal but don't want my child having problems because she took the drugs to not get the illness.

Thanks for any input.

:)

I read for whale watching, the Sept to Nov time frame is best--and yes, their winter is our summer and vice versa. Still, the weather in their hot season isn't too bad. I don't know about shots needed etc--we went a little overboard for China, and likely will for this one too (especially with the back country safari aspect).

We are booked on the July 27th signature trip to S.A. I booked on Monday - tried to book Sunday, but they had a computer glitch. I had originally booked the regular trip on opening day for July 15, but then decided I wanted the signature. When I called on Sunday (2 days after bookings opened), all of the EBD's for the July 6th signature trip were gone. The ABD agent said that there are fewer EBD's available for the signature trips than for the regular trips.

IMO, the extras that come with the signature trips are well worth it at $600 pp. Right now, the EBD vs regular pricing difference is $400 pp. That could change depending on demand.

I found out about ABD around October/November last year. By then, all the EBD's for China, which was the only trip I wanted, were gone. I ended up paying $1000 pp above the EBD price. :scared1:

It's hard to know whether there will be future discounts. I wouldn't count on it for the S.A. trips. Any other tour companies that I have looked at are in the $7000-$8000 pp range. There may be discounts on Alaska.

Perhaps you could book both and think it over in the 14 day grace period? :confused3

We are new to the Adventure by Disney tours. We booked the signature tour for July 27 2009 for myself, my husband and our daughter who will be 9 at the time of travel. I am most concerned about the antimalarial drugs that we will need to take prior to travel, especially for our daughter who has some food sensitivities. Has anyone had any experience with taking these drugs either for themselves or their children?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter