South Africa Safari: December 2009

We are leaving next week for our second trip to S. Africa; it's an incredibly beautiful country! We are meeting a group of friends, like we did in 2006. Be aware of your surroundings, just like you are everywhere else, and enjoy.

Dear DisneyAfrica and Pamlur,

We are excited about our July 2009 trip to South Africa. We are thinking of adding some extra days at the end of our ABD trip. We are interested in going to Victoria Falls. What would be the best way to get there from Johannesburg? What airlines within the continent of Africa have the best reputation for safety and service? What are some experiences and sites you would suggest for us to do? Should we hire a private guide to help us visit these sites? Thank you for any information you can share!

We are interested in side trips as well, except we'll be there in December--and also DisneynAfrica, tips on travel to SA from San Diego would be much appreciated!

TravelingTinkerbell, Victoria Falls is absolutely breathtaking! You thought Niagra Falls was cool...this is a great side trip if you can do it. Getting there from Jo'berg is best by flying. I did know some college girls that hitched hiked down here from Victoria Falls, but not sure that is for everyone! :scared1:

As for airlines that we use while here, kalula is a great one and also Mango. Mango is a subsiderary of South African Airways, so if your using them to fly from the USA you may be able to use frequent flyer miles. Both are great, and although, are basic and no frills, get you where you need to go and are very reputable!

One of the best all around travel centers that I could recommend for checking on prices and side trips is Flight Center here in South Africa. Do a search on google for flight centre, South Africa. They also have a travel center in every mall here in Cape Town and around the country and actually beat out any USA prices we were looking at the last time we flew to the States! They are great to work with too....and will do any conversions for you. So if you are looking to book while here, check your flights with them for side trips...they up to the minute on country specials too.

"What are some experiences and sites you would suggest for us to do? "

While you are here in Cape Town, I know Disney has your itinerary pretty much spelled out for you, but there are a few places that locals love that you would enjoy seeing. Kirstenbosch gardens are a beautiful and rare treat to see...especially if you're into local fauna and flora. It is a beautiful place that sits at the foot of Table Mountain....you can even hike up the side of the mountain to the top (takes about 2 hours). Also, just outside of Cape Town, if you hire a car, there are beautiful wine farms and little towns that are withing a few hours drive of the city....places like Franschoek (famous for it's cheese) and the Breede River Valley, where taking a trip down the breede river on an outside dinner cruise (they will cook you an authentic spread of African fare right on the boat as you cruise the river)...its a beautiful relaxing experience! Those are just a few things we love to do as a family who lives here....

"Should we hire a private guide to help us visit these sites?"

Yes...me! Ha! No, seriously, my take on private guides (since I live here) is that they are too expensive and limiting...but I totally understand that if you don't know where to go then a guide can be helpful. I once joined a group of ladies that came to Cape Town and did a tour of the area with a tour guide. They invited me along - so I spent the day with them. Several times I had to "convince" the guide to take the ladies a few places I knew they would want to see (we were already in the area, but he had his "schedule" to stick to)...afterwards, and even though it erked the guide that we were a bit "late" to the lunch place he had reserved, the ladies thanked me for insisting that we stop at these places and they got to see some sights they wouldn't have if I hadn't of pressed the guide when I realized where he was taking them. So, my advice? Make sure if you get a guide, that you tell them EXACTLY what you are wanting to see.....they live here, and what they think is everyday and wouldnt be anything special, you might find the opposite as an American.

Im sure Disney will make sure you see the best stuff though.....:thumbsup2

Let me know how long you think of staying for sidetrips....hey, you could come to my house for a side trip...he,he...if you really WANT to see local stuff! :laundy:

WeLoveABD, as far as getting here from San Diego, we flew out from LA using United, then took South African Airways from D.C. to JoBerg and then to Cape Town. Now, since this past June, Delta flys direct from New York or DC straight into Cape Town (with a small stop in Dakkar half-way to re-fuel, but you don't get off the plane). We did this just recently this July. Now, if you can find a good deal to get to either of those places, it really cuts your traveling time down to get a direct flight into cape town....I can tell you that going from International to domestic in Jo'berg is NO fun at all, especially when you have already been traveling for 18 hours or more. We like to get on a plane (in NY or DC) and know that when we get off, we are here in Cape Town and don't have another airport or flight to try and get to! Just my two cents.....but everyone is different. So, check on Delta, South African Airways and British, but keep in mind the direct flight routes are a bit easier on the body! Hope this helps a bit....:confused3

After a whole lot of talking and figuring this out, we will be going on the Africa trip on 9/14/09. Cash for one and points for the other. The EBD is still available and I will get the loyalty discount plus transfer it to Costco for their rebate. The 9/14 is one of the signature trips also. Always a plus.

hi, I just wanted to let you know that we changed our reservation from the South Africa Safari to the Central Italy tour. We decided that the flight would be too long for our 8 year old this year. We are hoping that we can book the trip in another year or two when she is a little older. I'm jealous of all of you who are going. Have a wonderful trip and I will be checking back to see what you thought about the trip. Enjoy!

The flights there are daunting to say the least! Our youngest will be 9 by the time we head there next December (2009)--once Disney has their group flights available, we'll ck with them and compare. Looks like from our neck of the woods (San Diego), we have to fly to London, then from there to Jo'berg, and then a hop to Cape Town. We may do a day layover in London to break it up. Other better suggestions welcome! (For example--anyone have experience booking flights through Disney--and have they been cheaper, or at least more direct??)

The flights there are daunting to say the least! Our youngest will be 9 by the time we head there next December (2009)--once Disney has their group flights available, we'll ck with them and compare. Looks like from our neck of the woods (San Diego), we have to fly to London, then from there to Jo'berg, and then a hop to Cape Town. We may do a day layover in London to break it up. Other better suggestions welcome! (For example--anyone have experience booking flights through Disney--and have they been cheaper, or at least more direct??)
I don't know if the South Africa trip is being handled differently, but in the past, ABD has not done "group flights". Disney will book the best airfare they can find for you (or if you find a better airfare, you can tell them specifically what you want them to book.) But they don't have group arrangements with the airlines like the cruiselines do. At least not yet. So far, the airfare they've offered me for my 2 trips was higher than what I was able to find on my own.

Sayhello

Hi! I have never gone on an ABD, but I am very interested in the African trip. My sister would really love to do a real safari for her 50th in the summer of 2010. We figure something led by Disney would be safe and memorable. We would definitely be interested in the Signature trip, but I can't find any date published yet. Anyone know if that means they won't have them, or is it just too early? And how early should I look into booking something like this?

Thanks!

The dates for summer 2010 will not be published until August, 2009. I do wish Disney would publish the dates further ahead.

In order to get the early booking rate, it is best to call on the first day that bookings open. We went on the Enchanted China trip this year. I didn't find out about ABD until a few months after bookings opened. By that time, all of the dates were booked up except one which required me to pull my kids out of school a few days early.

We're looking at either South Africa or China for 2010, and this thread has already answered most of my questions about SA. :thumbsup2

For those of you who are booked on the SA trip, please fill us in on your return.

Thanks!!

Wendy

We are also from SD...can you tell me how many hrs and the price you are looking at to fly please? We are considering this trip. Not a bad idea to stay in London for a couple days:thumbsup2

It would be great to have fellow San Diegans on the trip! We were looking at flights on British Air - the flights are too far off to price for next year, but to give you an idea as to times offered this holiday season, I copied a flight option from BA's website below. The flight is from Los Angeles to London, then London to Capetown. The return flight is from Johannesburg, to London and then LA:

15:45 17 Dec
09:55 18 Dec
Los Angeles
Heathrow (London)
BA0278
British Airways
World Traveller Plus

20:05 20 Dec
08:50 21 Dec
Heathrow (London)
Johannesburg
BA0057
British Airways
World Traveller

14:00 21 Dec
16:10 21 Dec
Johannesburg
Cape Town
BA6419
Comair
Traveller

17:00 2 Jan
19:10 2 Jan
Johannesburg
Cape Town
BA6429
Comair
Traveller

20:55 2 Jan
06:35 3 Jan
Cape Town
Heathrow (London)
BA0058
British Airways
World Traveller

15:10 5 Jan
18:15 5 Jan
Heathrow (London)
Los Angeles
BA0269
British Airways
World Traveller Plus

Let us know if you decide to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter