South Beach Dieters......... Unite

Hi there, thanks for all the replies. I started Thursday. Friday night we went out to dinner with another couple and I did well with dinner and then after dinner a band started playing and I gave into peer pressure to drink a few beers. I was pretty upset with myself for that. But I continued yesterday and as of this morning I am down 5 lbs since Thursday. I've done a couple exercise videos and hope to start back at the gym tomorrow. Thank you for the great support. I haven't felt sick yet like last time I tried this, I guess the beers helped with that. I need to get to the grocery store today, because I don't have much of anything SB friendly to eat.

cwnhokie, do you mind telling me what exercise videos you're doing? I'm interested in trying different types of exercise so I don't get bored with the gym.

Nothing exciting, I pulled out some old Kathy Smith tapes from about 10 years ago. I also did a pilates one that I borrowed from a neighbor, I really liked it, I'll have to check the name and get back to you.

I have a suggestion that you all check into the firm workouts, or whom I'm doing which is Cathe. I started with the firm, and it helped. When I did Cathe www.cathe.com my body went from great to wow!!! She is an incredible workout instructer!

Hi Sheree'-
I looked at the cathe link, are all her videos difficult? It looks like it's geared more to the advanced. I'm kinda what you'd call uncoordinated!

Hey all,

Today was a challenge! I seemed to just be really hungry. I tried to just eat protein and minimal carbs (phase 2 now), but ended up having two of the protein bars during the course of the day, as well as one and a half rolls with dinner (DH and I went out). Nothing earth-shattering, I know, but I'm really trying to stay on task this time. Little deviations tend to turn into bigger ones, and then next thing I know I'm off SBD. Any words of wisdom?

I guess I should have warned you!! Not all of her video's are like that. Trust me, for me to say that it must be true because I have balance issues!!! However, I have really done well with Cathe (except for her pure step videos, those I fall all over the place with and tend to ignore those). Low impact step is a good one to start with as well as Basic Step + Body Fusion. This is where I started and now I have darn near the whole collection!!! She becomes addicting!!! The weight workouts are also excellent. If you learn Basic Step + Body Fusion, a great place to go next would be Imax 2 and Cardio and Weights. Both really fun energetic workouts that aren't to complicated, I promise!

What was in the protein bars? Sometimes they have hidden sugars which of course cause cravings and the next thing you know, your eating things you are not supposed to. How I managed to stay on track was I learned to eat things in their natural state. Protein (chicken, beef, etc.) is better than a protein bar, that kind of thing. Whenever I started eating protein bars and most of those foods that are "meant" to help us, usually hurt me the most, so I have learned just to stay away from them.

Good advice. Usually I eat the whole foods like you're talking about: chicken breast, roast beef, pork loin, nuts, eggs, etc. But I really like the South Beach Diet Protein Bars (especially for breakfast). The Peanut Butter ones have: 5 g fat, 3 g fiber, 6 g Sugars, 3 g sugar alcohol, 10 g protein, and 15 g total carbohydrates (this includes the sugars and sugar alcohols, right?)

Everything you said is corect. What I found is that for me sugar alcohols stall me and as a matter of fact, many people say that they stall them also! What gets me the most with the bars is the ingredient listing. It has things in it that he advises you not to have.

Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Salt), Peanut Butter (Roasted Ground Peanuts), Maltitol Syrup, Sugar, Roasted Soybeans, Corn Syrup, Soy Protein Concentrate, Oligofructose (For Fiber), Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Evaporated Cane Juice Invert Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Partially Defatted Peanut Flour, Milled And Flaked Corn, Nonfat Milk, Calcium Carbonate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Flavor, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Butter [Cream, Annatto (Color), Salt], Peanut Oil, Whey, Sunflower Oil, Palm Oil, Peanuts, Barley Malt, Mono- And Diglycerides, Sucralose (Sweetener), Ferric Phosphate (Source Of Iron), Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide (Source Of Zinc), Magnesium Carbonate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Artificial Flavor, Vitamin B12.

I used to eat the cinnamon ones like crazy. Those are my favs!! Then I started noticing cravings and then I couldn't stop eating and I wanted sugar and things like that. So the first thing I did was look at the bars. Sure enough, with those ingredients, I decided not to eat them, and guess what, the cravings stopped and the weight started dropping again. I only have them now every so often as they trigger sugar cravings in me something awful! Try getting rid of them for 2 weeks and see what happens. I almost would be that things get better.

I'm a little frustrated. I've been sticking with the diet and I started going to the gym, 2 days now, and I've gained a pound. What's up with that? DH said since I'm little it probably won't come off that fast and he said the beers from Friday night have probably caught up with me. Then he went on to stay you really shouldn't have any beers, at least for the first two weeks, then grinned because he was the one that pressured me into having them.

Sheree....OMG, two weeks!!!! Okay, okay. ;) We're going on a cruise over spring break and I wanna be sporting a two piece! I will find something else. Maybe I could make my own peanut butter bars. :rotfl:

cwnhokie, yeah, the beer thing, that'll get ya. ;) I remember reading in the SBD book that malitose (which is in beer) is a pretty bad form of sugar because of the way it metabolizes. I have colleagues that like to go out after work on Friday nights. I've been having rum and diet coke with no ill effects on my weight. I only drink a few, though.

Florida_Mom,
I started this thing to jumpstart weight lose and getting in shape for our cruise in October. Yesterday I ordered a bikini and a tankini, so I'll have one of each depending on how things go. I think someone told me about the sugars in beer right before they ordered me another one.

Tomorrow will be a week, so I've done the best so far that I have ever done, so I'm trying like crazy to stick with it. 1:30-5:00 is a really hard time for me, today I was walking around dreaming about mashed potatoes and muffins.

cwnhokie, you've got a great sense of humor. Just the thing you need to get through phase one. :rotfl:

The afternoon can be hard. How about some snacks before you get so hungry that you're walking around thinking about mashed potatoes and muffins? ;) I like the salted almonds and the cheese cubes. Just a thought.... :goodvibes

Florida mom, just try it. I really do think that the bars are the cause. Check out some of the website I posted. They have really good receipes. You'd be surprised by the treats you make that won't wreck the diet!!! My fav. is the 2 minute chocolate cake receipe made out of Almond flour. Add some whipped cream and they are to die for!!!

cwnhokie, that's one way to motivate yourself!!! I still won't wear a bikini. Tankini maybe. Looking bad in either one is one way to motivate me too!

I'm going to be starting the SB diet on Monday along with a friend of mine. We're going to be going on a cruise in the fall, so that is our motivation. I haven't read too much about South Beach, but she has. Her mother lost 10 pounds her first 2 weeks.

I don't like eggs, so I'm going to have to find something else for breakfasts. Reading everyone's experiences will definitely help me to stick with this. It's going to be really tough but hopefully in the end worth it.

smilie, welcome! There are many different foods you can enjoy. FInd what you like. Please come back and let us know how you are doing and if we can offer you any help!

One quick question. Is there a limit to how much cheese (low/no fat) you're allowed in phase 1?

Just wanted to say hi Smilie, although I don't really have much advice since I just started struggling with this myself. One week down in Phase 1 today! But there are a lot of helpful people here to keep you on track.

Hi Smilie, and welcome! It's a pretty easy diet to do: no weighing or measuring, eat until you're comfortable (not stuffed), think protein, veggies, whole grains, and fresh fruits!

The exercise really does help, too. Best of luck!

ETA: Definitely read this whole thread if you can (a few pages at a time). It is so motivating to read about how people are losing weight.

Also:

I weighed myself today and I'm down two more pounds. 12 pounds total!!! :cool1:

Florida Mom, the scale is really moving for you. Congrats!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter