South Dakota Teacher “Dash for Cash”

Sounds like the problem was not that some random people were invited to try it. I've put my name in for a contest before a game and been selected. I've heard of people who signed up at a car dealer for something like a golf putt for a car (and I've seen a winner before),

But here it's teachers for schools, and instead of a fun thing where random people are taking part in an event, it makes it seem like teachers need to embarrass themselves to fund their schools. I'm thinking the only thing worse would be grabbing some homeless people off the street to do the same.

Sounds like the problem was not that some random people were invited to try it. I've put my name in for a contest before a game and been selected. I've heard of people who signed up at a car dealer for something like a golf putt for a car (and I've seen a winner before),

But here it's teachers for schools, and instead of a fun thing where random people are taking part in an event, it makes it seem like teachers need to embarrass themselves to fund their schools. I'm thinking the only thing worse would be grabbing some homeless people off the street to do the same.

exactly, it’s the whole image of them being on their hands and knees that is so cringe-worthy, and I agree with you that it strikes a similar nerve as picturing homeless people having to crawl on the floor for food or money. It’s wonderful they they wanted to help teachers, but how hard would it have been to just draw names, or have them try to score a goal, really anything other than crawling for money

According to what I’ve read, none of the teachers involved have said they had a problem with the event or felt demeaned. They willingly volunteered and said it was fun.

If there's any criticism it should probably be with whoever came up with the idea of having teachers do it. I totally get how the teachers are adults who can make their own decisions.

As the father of a teacher, I find it a bit cringe-worthy, but you have to consider the context.

The motivation for the event was NOT to help teachers or schools. This was a publicity stunt to draw attendance and attention to a minor league hockey team and a mortgage broker. They wanted to spend a very modest amount of money to get some publicity.

They could have invited players in a youth hockey league, nurses, teachers, cops, firefighters, homeless people, fugitives with open warrants -- anybody. They chose to give the money to teachers, probably because they felt that would get them the most publicity.

To me, it's just a rather tacky publicity stunt.

I say next year have military people on their hands and knees collecting money for tanks and bombs.

Doesn't matter, no matter who does it there will always be some pearl clutching stick in the muds complaining about it.
I say next year those people who think it's demeaning don't ever participate in something like this, and for people who don't get their panties in a bunch over some harmless fun and have no problem doing it - good for them.

Doesn't matter, no matter who does it there will always be some pearl clutching stick in the muds complaining about it.
I say next year those people who think it's demeaning don't ever participate in something like this, and for people who don't get their panties in a bunch over some harmless fun and have no problem doing it - good for them.

I think the greater issue with it is why do teachers even have to participate in a stunt like this to get their classroom funded?

I think the greater issue with it is why do teachers even have to participate in a stunt like this to get their classroom funded?
And no one's talking about that. It's "this looks bad", "it's degrading" (which I really don't get), "they should have thought about this"... all from people who didn't participate.

Yes, it’s this. If it was just a group (teachers or not) scrounging up cash for themselves, for their own personal use, fine. This was specifically marketed, as I understand it, for them to get money to fund their classrooms.

The funny thing is that if they had dropped the marketing that this was a chance for them to get money for their classrooms, and was just an offering for teachers, it wouldn’t have been a big deal, and those teachers still would probably have put that money towards their classrooms.

Keep in mind that this was $5000 split between 10 teachers, so about $500 each. And South Dakota is near the bottom when it comes to average teacher salaries.

Yes, it’s this. If it was just a group (teachers or not) scrounging up cash for themselves, for their own personal use, fine. This was specifically marketed, as I understand it, for them to get money to fund their classrooms.
So if it was some random group of people it wouldn't be "degrading", but since it focused on one group, it is? Sorry, I disagree.

And no one's talking about that. It's "this looks bad", "it's degrading" (which I really don't get), "they should have thought about this"... all from people who didn't participate.
I've only read one story on this subject. The focus of the story was on the need for teachers to do this. Obviously, some people are talking about it.

I say next year have military people on their hands and knees collecting money for tanks and bombs.

No it would be just as bad if we marginalized some other disrespected group in society. It is just criminal the medical and mental health treatment we give our brave soldiers. I would have preferred if we got Wall St. Bankers to run around on their hands and knees scraping up pennies. I would have paid to see that.

No it would be just as bad if we marginalized some other disrespected group in society. It is just criminal the medical and mental health treatment we give our brave soldiers. I would have preferred if we got Wall St. Bankers to run around on their hands and knees scraping up pennies. I would have paid to see that.

i wasn’t trying to say it wouldn’t have been disrespectful to see military personnel doing it..it would have been just as bad. I was trying to jolt someone into a reaction of NO! That would be disrespectful to the military. Which would beg the question why disrespectful for one group but not another.

I think this thread would have gone a whole lot differently if vets were scrounging around for say mental health money, or money for bullets or….you get the point.

i wasn’t trying to say it wouldn’t have been disrespectful to see military personnel doing it..it would have been just as bad. I was trying to jolt someone into a reaction of NO! That would be disrespectful to the military. Which would beg the question why disrespectful for one group but not another.

I think this thread would have gone a whole lot differently if vets were scrounging around for say mental health money, or money for bullets or….you get the point.
Sorry, I don't see it as disrespectful to any group.

The fact ANY group NEEDS to do something like this to do their jobs is what's disrespectful.

It's not a good look.

But, it was voluntary by those participating.

So it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter