• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

South Dakota Teacher “Dash for Cash”

I may be wandering off from the original story a bit, but still related to education budgeting in general. I never taught in the Sioux Falls district, but I did teach for 20 years in the states of Indiana and Illinois.

I have been out of education since 2015 and the longer I am away, the happier I am. The couple school districts I taught in I felt as if I was given enough money for my classroom. In fact, sometimes we spent money on silly/unnecessary things because our principal told us if we did not spend what we were budgeted we would have our budget reduced, so spend it. That seemed to go on for most of the years I was teaching. I don't know what changed really but sometime after 2010 or so, that well had run dry. We went from having money forced upon us to not having anything budgeted for classrooms at all. In fact, our district was so broke they laid off a bunch of support staff, cut several teachers' jobs, and did not replace some retiring teachers. I was directly affected myself because I was assigned classes I was not even qualified to teach because they needed staffing to redistribute the classes of a retired teacher. The strange thing is though, even though the school district was so broke and seemingly a financial crisis... they still found enough money to hire MORE administrators at incredibly high salaries??? I also heard that new administrators were given GENEROUS moving allowances.

I guess the solution to money problems is to cut budgets that affect students directly and hire more people at $100K + yearly to sit around and try to come up with ways to save money.

OK I will stop ranting now.

From what I’ve read, 31 teachers signed up for 10 available spaces. So there were plenty who were quite eager to participate knowing full well the scope of the event. No one was coerced.

The money they collected was supposed to be used for classroom decorations. I’m sure there would be an even bigger backlash if they kept the money for themselves. The barren classrooms would have given them away.
I’m actually feeling very sorry for the participants now. I’m sure this was all just a lark when the opportunity arose. They must be mortified by the reaction which characterizes them as desperate, pathetic losers. It’s sad. :(

Anyone that sees them as desperate, pathetic losers is just looking for something derogatory to say about them. Just my opinion.

Or fund the activities by demeaning yourself for a short period of time performing like a trained dog
If you find it demeaning, I suggest not participating. That doesn't mean the participants do. If they were just random people who got to use the money for whatever they wanted, would it still be "demeaning" and "performing like a trained dog"? Someone up thread mentioned the booths with the cash blowing around them. Is that a better look for you?

I think about this in two different ways

1) Individuals playing for cash for themselves=totally fine whatever see no problem with it
2) Individuals playing for cash for a charity, for their place of employment in this case public schools, for others=eh..probably a better way to do it because it no longer is the same sort of fun-factor.

I'm not sure I see it as degrading or like that just that the feel good aspect is sorta lost here. I don't think I read that the organization would have given the money equally regardless. Did anyone read that? That no matter what money each teacher collected their school would have gotten the money anyways?

I also think that yes the people involved may not have had an issue with it but morally would you if you knew this was getting money for needed supplies? (rhetorical because obviously everyone's opinion can vary here). I think that's more what gets people thinking about this in a different light. I'd probably think it was a fun thing myself if I was going to do it just for myself, see how much I could win for myself. But it would sorta feel different if say I was trying to raise money for a family in need or something like that. Seems like there would be a better way of doing it. At half-time they could have made a show of donating money to these schools and then these teachers be the representatives for receiving it.

If you find it demeaning, I suggest not participating. That doesn't mean the participants do. If they were just random people who got to use the money for whatever they wanted, would it still be "demeaning" and "performing like a trained dog"? Someone up thread mentioned the booths with the cash blowing around them. Is that a better look for you?
Yes I do see it as demeaning, particularly because of it being directed at a historically underfunded profession and would not participate.

Cash blowing around in a booth is demeaning as well but if just random people picked from the audience that is the price to pay to get the chance at the money.

It was not even money from the venue or team. They had others donate money for them to profit from giving away. That makes it even worse.

Last edited:

Why do you think they feel obligated to participate? "Hey, do you want to get on your hands and knees to grab money you can use for school supplies?" Where's the obligation? For that matter, maybe I missed it, but where did it say the money they were grabbing had to be used for supplies? Couldn't they have used it for themselves?
The obligation comes from knowing that if they don't try to win money they likely don't get xyz. It's sorta more an implicit obligation that if you don't get the cash you won't get the goods. This wasn't an event for people who happened to be teachers, this was an event for teachers for usage for their classrooms. It's a bit of an important distinction at least when it comes to the larger discussion that can be had about events like these for the purpose of funding classroom supplies.

For the past 34 years, on a daily basis I have been a teacher, counselor, nurse, tear dryer, cheerleader, supporter, substitute mom,prayer warrior, moral compass, and safe harbor for many little ones. If the biggest problem I had to worry about is whether voluntarily participating in a clean, family friendly way to earn money for my classroom life would be just peachy. While many of you are concerned about these teachers being degraded I can assure they weren’t. They were more concerned about the student that went home to the strung out parents or the one that lost their mom or dad this year. Or maybe it’s the one that you secretly sneak extra food to because you know that may be all they get to eat until they return to you. Or it’s very possible it’s that precious baby that’s in foster care after watching daddy shoot and kill mom and then himself. Yes these are my realities, all real experiences. So before you continue to preach on this subject maybe you need to thank these teachers for caring enough to go the extra mile.

For the past 34 years, on a daily basis I have been a teacher, counselor, nurse, tear dryer, cheerleader, supporter, substitute mom,prayer warrior, moral compass, and safe harbor for many little ones. If the biggest problem I had to worry about is whether voluntarily participating in a clean, family friendly way to earn money for my classroom life would be just peachy. While many of you are concerned about these teachers being degraded I can assure they weren’t. They were more concerned about the student that went home to the strung out parents or the one that lost their mom or dad this year. Or maybe it’s the one that you secretly sneak extra food to because you know that may be all they get to eat until they return to you. Or it’s very possible it’s that precious baby that’s in foster care after watching daddy shoot and kill mom and then himself. Yes these are my realities, all real experiences. So before you continue to preach on this subject maybe you need to thank these teachers for caring enough to go the extra mile.
I'm pretty sure most people's points is that they shouldn't have to feel like they need to do these things just to get supplies for their schools. The very act of what they did doesn't have to be seen as degrading on the other hand basically pleading to get money for schools by having to feel like you need to do these activities whether you view them as fun or not sorta is the issue and can make you feel hmm maybe not degraded but yeah..

Interestingly I'm not sure you could call this a clean, family way given that they were on the ground stuffing their clothes full of cash but clean and family do mean different things to different people. Also please understand you're speaking for yourself not for teachers in their entirety. My aunt taught for over 40 years, her views wouldn't really align with yours. I do think what most of us can agree on is the underfunding of schools and classrooms such that anyone associated with our public schools feels like they have to do these things just to get things for their classrooms.

Do people actually believe that if the teachers weren't "forced" to do this, they'd have no decorations in their class? I'm not a teacher, but I highly doubt that. Maybe it helps them get MORE decorations, or allows them to use the money they were going to spend on decorations on something else.

My, my, once again, the Woke Brigade is getting its jollies by being offended on behalf of those who have no problem with a situation. :rotfl2:

Many of the comments here and in internet stories from politicians and educators are hilarious, considering the event was entirely voluntary and the contestants knew in advance what was required and willingly participated.

(capitalization mine)

Teachers should not HAVE TO put up with that kind of indignity.
Teachers were FORCED to fight over $1 bills.
This was humiliating for the teachers involved.
Teachers should never HAVE TO GROVEL for money.
We shouldn't be FORCING our teachers to crawl around....
No educator should HAVE TO crawl on their hands and knees....
SD Hockey Team apologizes for MAKING teachers dash for cash.

Thanks for the laughs. :rotfl:

Do people actually believe that if the teachers weren't "forced" to do this, they'd have no decorations in their class? I'm not a teacher, but I highly doubt that. Maybe it helps them get MORE decorations, or allows them to use the money they were going to spend on decorations on something else.
My wife would have no decorations in her classroom unless she spent her own money.

She gets $100 from the PTA and can order $500 in materials through the school at the beginning of the year.

Those school supplies everyone moans about having to supply at the beginning of the year last about half the year. She asks the parents for more but generally has to supply what is needed for the second half of the year herself.

On average she spends slightly in excess of $2000 of her money on her classroom each year.

Last edited:
My, my, once again, the Woke Brigade is getting its jollies by being offended on behalf of those who have no problem with a situation. :rotfl2:

Many of the comments here and in internet stories from politicians and educators are hilarious, considering the event was entirely voluntary and the contestants knew in advance what was required and willingly participated.

(capitalization mine)

Teachers should not HAVE TO put up with that kind of indignity.
Teachers were FORCED to fight over $1 bills.
This was humiliating for the teachers involved.
Teachers should never HAVE TO GROVEL for money.
We shouldn't be FORCING our teachers to crawl around....
No educator should HAVE TO crawl on their hands and knees....
SD Hockey Team apologizes for MAKING teachers dash for cash.

Thanks for the laughs. :rotfl:

I’m going to guess you don’t like it when athletes speak out, and you especially hate it when actors make statements during awards shows.

Am I right?

My wife would have no decorations in her classroom unless she spent her own money.

She gets $100 from the PTA and can order $500 in materials through the school at the beginning of the year.

Those school supplies everyone moans about having to supply at the beginning of the year last about half the year. She asks the parents for more but generally has to supply what is needed for the second half of the year herself.

On average she spends slightly in excess of $2000 of her money on her classroom each year.
That doesn't answer my question. Presumably your wife didn't participate in this event. Did she still have her room decorated? Guessing yes. So acting like this event is the only way teachers get their room decorated is a strawman.

And yes, I think every teacher should have enough money so they shouldn't have to use their own to decorate/teach. So, let's fault the people who don't provide enough money to teachers. Where would you like to start? School Boards? Lawmakers? Taxpayers?

That doesn't answer my question. Presumably your wife didn't participate in this event. Did she still have her room decorated? Guessing yes. So acting like this event is the only way teachers get their room decorated is a strawman.

And yes, I think every teacher should have enough money so they shouldn't have to use their own to decorate/teach. So, let's fault the people who don't provide enough money to teachers. Where would you like to start? School Boards? Lawmakers? Taxpayers?
Who said it was the only way?

As I said earlier:

As a teacher if your options are:
1. Don't do certain activities or learning activities because there is no money available.
2. Or fund the activities using your own money
3. Or fund the activities by demeaning yourself for a short period of time performing like a trained dog

Instead of profiting off the donations of others, the team could have simply given the money to the teachers chosen.

Edited to add:
No her room is not decorated for the holidays. She elects to spend her money on more important items.

That's entirely the point of people's complaints. Some people just focus on the act of this event but the large discussion is surrounding funding. It's been talked about for years, the underfunding.

The discussion IS supposed to be about adequately funding the education system and having a more equal aspect to that such that the need for such antics (however fun someone might have doing them) doesn't become necessary. That's literally the entire point that the present system allows for unequal distributions and is done by complex ways (stripping the state's education budget, reliance on property taxes for school funding, voting for measures that devalue the opportunities to be had at schools, budgets that don't allow for routine maintenance of the schools or improvements, etc decorations become a luxury in some areas).

Even in the article itself from the OP it stated teachers in South Dakota (according to the SD Education Association) spend an average of $750 out of pocket just for needed supplies for their students. One of the participants quoted saying "while her school applies for grants to fund classroom items, paying for smaller items, such as decorations, can add up."

I have no doubt whatsoever that there are classrooms in my state that lack the funding to provide decorations for their classrooms and that some do without either because the teachers can't afford it on their own or use money for basic classroom supplies instead. I wonder why you don't think this is the case for your state or any other state out there?

Teachers spend a fortune of their own money every year. $250 of it is deductible, but most spend much more. The problem with this event is that it was considered necessary at all. Imagine a bunch of nurses scrambling to grab cash to pay for bandages for their unit or police grabbing bills to pay for repairs to squad cars. That would never happen and this shouldn’t either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter