SouthAlabama5er's Pre Trip & Trip Report 2/14 - 2/21

This is my 3rd trip to the Fort and I've never seen thithis many people here before. It was standing room only at the campfire sing along.
20150214_192646_zpsphgujomn.jpg

Tiggerdad, yeah I feel the same way about helping out my fellow camper, the couple I helped earlier told me that they asked CM's for help and they said they couldn't do anything for them. I didn't even think about taking any pictures of the whole thing, isn't like we had anything better to do, we waited 4 hours before they called and told us our site was ready.

We were at the beach to watch the light parade and fireworks but we are all tired from the drive down and it's chilly here tonight so we rode back to the camper. We have breakfast reservations in the morning at Ohana.

Thank yall for all the well wishes on our drive down,

Last edited:
5er, Glad to hear you made it.

You did your "Good Deed for the Day" which makes you an honorary Boy Scout.

I bet it is crowded given the President's Day Holiday on Monday making it a 3-day weekend during some prime camping weather. I think this is around the time the Value pricing for the campsites rolls over to Prime springtime pricing from now for 2-3 months. Please give us a crowd report on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning after the 3-day weekend folks have checked out.

Thanks for the update. You deserve some rest. Ya done good so far.

Bama Ed

PS - here in Central Alabama there is a snow/freezing rain warning for Sunday night and all day Monday. The freeze line will be just south of the 'Ham. Above Cullman and Jasper it could get dicey. All should be okay by Tuesday but enjoy the Florida weather.

Good to hear you made it in safe. With all the overflow parking, that's how it was last halloween when we where there.
Will be following along. Have a great vacation!

Good to hear you had a good trip down and finally made it to you spot. That is crazy busy all I can think is it is a 3 day weekend here for the school kids for presidents day on Monday. I hope it slows down some we are coming in on Thursday morning for the weekend for the 10k on Saturday. Have a great time.

Ryan

I died last night when I hit the pillow, I know I was that tired, we woke and headed over to Ohana for breakfast, then rode the monorail around to GF and MK and caught the ferry boat back to the Fort. Working on a boat full time I always wanna drive the ones on Bay Lake, (I think that's gonna be my job when I retire, my wife can work at the Settlement.) The ferries from the TC were packed, unloading at MK.
20150215_080157_zpsysngaztj.jpg

20150215_075323_zpszve4r0a6.jpg

20150215_103120_zpsbpqngeco.jpg

20150215_103628_zpsct7famte.jpg

20150215_110339_zps86aotg5x.jpg

Roll Tide!

Now back at the campsite I put up my favorite camping item, our hammock...
20150215_121806_zpsaje3rhoq.jpg
While I was updating my TR, someone stopped by looking for Tiggerdad,
20150215_122552_zpsdziedyrz.jpg

He was chattering something about all the nuts he got from him during his stay,
20150215_122605_zpsc7wouome.jpg

Back to my TR, you couldn't ask for better weather today. Its cool and comfortable. We're going to hang out at the camper today, watch some pulling out and other pull in and set up. Hopefully the light parade and fireworks tonight.

20150214_110433_zpssgzmqyuk.jpg

I didn't swing that turn in to the Fort as fast as Tiggerdad did. Haha, I went this morning early and moved my truck into the main over flow lot, and seen campers already pulling up to check in.

Our friends Bobby and Deidra's site
imagejpeg_0_zpsmaahkjea.jpg

Some pictures from the drive down
20150214_073702_zps2c0pffdg.jpg

20150214_104701_zps0zj69ijg.jpg

And my Mickey lights,
20150214_210322_zpssoyttalg.jpg

Last edited:

Three inches of snow and -24 windchill here in PA! Enjoy the nice weather there! Nice set up with the campsite! :)

Just got the driveway snowblown was -35 degrees overnight. Can't wait to be where you are instead of this frozen tundra. Nice pictures, love the Darth Mickey helmet.

Don't forget there are a lot Louisiana and Gulf Coast residents there for Mardi Gras this week. I'm sure that is contributing to crowd levels. Hope you guys continue to have a great trip! Living vicariously through your trip report. Only 19 more days until we will be setting up at the Fort!

Oh yea I feel for everyone dealing with that cold weather and snow. I can't stand the cold myself so I would last a day, so here's a picture to help warm you up
20150215_141608_zpshgdyssc0.jpg

Me and my son went riding around, I wanted to go and Crack the windows in the truck, and did some looping.
20150215_135457_zpscs7jblb0.jpg

The main overover flow is full and the second over flow is filling back up, seen all the check in lanes full of campers. So on wards to some loops,
20150215_141107_zps6fnwkshc.jpg

I could only do 15 mph when I past the sign that shows your speed.
20150215_140844_zpsfild8w8g.jpg

Seen a few of these signs, first time I've seen this, where do you get them from? I want one for the next trip here.

Great looking squirrel man! I trust you fed him for me?

Real funny on the "didn't turn in as fast as Tiggerdad". All I can say is: Wuss!

I looked for one of the Alabama pins but didn't find them. You lucky dog!

TR looking good man.

Great looking squirrel man! I trust you fed him for me?

Real funny on the "didn't turn in as fast as Tiggerdad". All I can say is: Wuss!

I looked for one of the Alabama pins but didn't find them. You lucky dog!

TR looking good man.

Yea I took care of him for ya, he said bring alot of Planters when you come back.

Dont have to turn fast, when youryour camper get mistaking for a 18 wheeler by on coming traffic, you automatically have the right of way.

I'll hook you up on the Alabama pin,

Enjoying the report. I like the Mardi Gras decorations on the Mickey. Weather looks fabulous, even in Atlanta we are getting ready for the deep freeze. It is COLD today and the rain moves in tomorrow, could be freezing rain, sleet, snow or rain. After the debacle last year i am keeping a close eye on it. May just have to work from home to be safe.

Thanks for the update!

The family sign is cute as are the little Mickey & Minni.

Your son looks like he is having a real good time on the back of the cart. Maybe you should let him take that cart for a spin :)

I too noticed those nice FW signs. Can't remember what loop but there are about 5-7 all close together with that same sign. I was wondering if that is their permanent spots or just really long extended stayers. Lady over in 400 loop been there 6 years now. 404 I think.

I too wanna work at the Settlement when I grow up. Settlement not the Meadows. Hubby says he'll farm until the earth swallows him up.

19 degrees here. Going to get a light dusting no more than an 1 in. The county south of us is expected to get 4-6 in.

Have fun!

Well got us some chairs on the beach for the light parade and fireworks. It's been a lazy day for us, hanging out at the Fort. Did some more looping and found a huge group of tent campers in the 1500 loop, it was group together, they had some company there catering them. They had a sign up saying only campers that are a signed to that loop only.

The plan for tomorrow is to head over to AK in the morning. I'm going to try keep the report about the Fort since we are the campers of the DIS, but I will let everyone know how crowded it is.

I broke down and bought some FW stuff at the Trading Post. The CM said "Thank you for advertising Fort Wilderness" haha,

I can hear the fireworks from EPCOT now, I'll try to get some good pictures tonight...

20150215_214612_zpszeu6617s.jpg

20150215_214743_zpsud1ispc5.jpg

20150215_214824_zpsdgtym71l.jpg

20150215_214953_zps0c1yvyf0.jpg

20150215_215058_zps28fcy3gk.jpg

And now the fireworks from "Wishes"
20150215_220244_zps7xrydn62.jpg

20150215_220456_zpsqhvzxfnh.jpg

20150215_220753_zps5txffqgj.jpg

20150215_220840_zpsbwsivxuk.jpg

20150215_220945_zpscmlyedwh.jpg

Last night was fun, everyone enjoyed the show last night. We late waking up, my wife bought a mattress topper for our bed and it has made a difference we are both sleeping better.

Bout to start breakfast... who's hungry?

Omg this TR is my salvation getting through a grey drizzly Feb! I love seeing your site pics etc and picturing my family there next Jan!

Well AK was full of folks today. All and all it was a good day, we rode the safari bus, did some Meet and Greets with the Mickey and his friends, seen the Nemo Show, rode EE.

20150216_142557_zps0bhsydhe.jpg

20150216_142648_zpspxzpgvdv.jpg

20150216_142509_zpsppwicjkd.jpg

20150216_164956_zps3hcmjzyf.jpg

Back at the Fort I seen a few empty sites, and seen some campers pulling out, MK tomorrow, but now I'm grilling some pork chops for supper. The weather was great today, was a shade warmer than yesterday. I few gnats out this evening helping me grill...
20150216_185125_zpserpl9fwf.jpg

Nice pictures of the EWP, 5er.

Well the bad weather predicted for Central Alabama stayed to the north and grazed Huntsville a little. So just cold and wet here but glad to hear you are having good weather.

I notice in your signature at the bottom of every post that your two prior trips were both in July, is that right? How does being at the Fort compare to that time of year? Obviously it may not be as comfortable to swim, for example, but does this time of year make you say, "never July again" or is it more of "well this is a nice change"?

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter