Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

I just saw that!!!!! How amazing would that be??? And others who have been on that trip said they would have had an imagineer lead them around the park than visit the actually building. I bet there are other fun surprises in store! Yahooooo friends!
Can you please share the FB page? I would love to follow any information regarding this trip.

I have an additional concern/doubt, my son would be 5 years old if we decide to travel in February 2023. Would it be too much for a 5 yo? I'm the one interested in visiting the studios and backstage of the park, but maybe it would be too boring for him? What do you think?

I chatted with the Manager from Adventures By Disney this morning. She said things were still very fluid at the moment, and my date (April 14th) is still not set, but here's how it's looking so far:

It sounds like the Imagineering tour will not come back at all given the move to Florida. She said this is most likely because with the building pretty much empty, they see it as just an office. I told her to a Disney fan, it's history.

We will get to tour outside the Studios and the Archives and get to take pictures with some of the outside signs and get to go shopping. The Mickey's of Glendale stop is still a go. If the buildings open up, things may change, and being able to take a tour inside may be an option again. The Commissary is closed at this time, so it sounds like lunch will be at the Academy Awards museum.

I mentioned to her that there is a D23 event at the Studios on April 9th. She wasn't aware of that, and said that is a sign that things may be more open by the time our tour comes. She said even if they get word last minute that things are now open, there is a good change they will amend the tour on the fly back to the original tour offerings.

The tour at the Academy Awards Museum is a different tour than someone from the public would take. It is focused on a number of set pieces and props that Disney has on display there, and we will get to hold the Academy Award that we normally hold at the Archives.

To make up for the Imagineering tour, they did confirm that an Imagineer will being giving us the tour at Disneyland.

She didn't have an answer on what they would be replacing World of Color with, but she said they always have a second back up option just in case, so she knows it will be replaced with another VIP experience.

I did voice the frustration many of us are having with the lack of communication overall. I said there are a number of us who have made alternate arrangements just in case, or have cancelled other pieces of their vacation, as they didn't know whether the tours were a go or not, and it would be nice to even have the confirmation things are definitely a go regardless. She said she will take that back to upper management.

I chatted with the Manager from Adventures By Disney this morning. She said things were still very fluid at the moment, and my date (April 14th) is still not set, but here's how it's looking so far:

It sounds like the Imagineering tour will not come back at all given the move to Florida. She said this is most likely because with the building pretty much empty, they see it as just an office. I told her to a Disney fan, it's history.

We will get to tour outside the Studios and the Archives and get to take pictures with some of the outside signs and get to go shopping. The Mickey's of Glendale stop is still a go. If the buildings open up, things may change, and being able to take a tour inside may be an option again. The Commissary is closed at this time, so it sounds like lunch will be at the Academy Awards museum.

I mentioned to her that there is a D23 event at the Studios on April 9th. She wasn't aware of that, and said that is a sign that things may be more open by the time our tour comes. She said even if they get word last minute that things are now open, there is a good change they will amend the tour on the fly back to the original tour offerings.

The tour at the Academy Awards Museum is a different tour than someone from the public would take. It is focused on a number of set pieces and props that Disney has on display there, and we will get to hold the Academy Award that we normally hold at the Archives.

To make up for the Imagineering tour, they did confirm that an Imagineer will being giving us the tour at Disneyland.

She didn't have an answer on what they would be replacing World of Color with, but she said they always have a second back up option just in case, so she knows it will be replaced with another VIP experience.

I did voice the frustration many of us are having with the lack of communication overall. I said there are a number of us who have made alternate arrangements just in case, or have cancelled other pieces of their vacation, as they didn't know whether the tours were a go or not, and it would be nice to even have the confirmation things are definitely a go regardless. She said she will take that back to upper management.
Thank you for this. I appreciate it. Still not sure what my family and I will do.

Thank you for this. I appreciate it. Still not sure what my family and I will do.
Well that is the main problem, isn’t it? We are on the 4/17 trip, and unless we want to eat a lot of money, we have no choice but to go on a diminished experience.

Well that is the main problem, isn’t it? We are on the 4/17 trip, and unless we want to eat a lot of money, we have no choice but to go on a diminished experience.
Oh absolutely. I really am torn, I cant imagine how you must feel. I still personally feel that communication is key but it sounds like maybe they are realizing that.

I am still deflated. I have a daughter who will be touring Cal Arts this year and plans to apply there. This trip in June (was originally the escape for this coming Sunday) was a surprise for her for the purpose that it would get her into the studios, which is one of her dreams. I understand that Imagineering will be moving, but her focus is more on animation and production anyhow, so I was ok with that aspect not happening.

Frankly, I cannot imagine her disappointment if we are allowed on property to see the buildings from the outside and nothing else.

I don’t know whether to wait it out or see what type of headway we can make from a refund aspect.

Sigh, I really wanted to see Imagineering, as that is something really special and exclusive, an and part of history and the reason why we are Disney fans, and why I wanted to do ABD.
But I will keep an open mind! I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a kid, and have grown into a much bigger Disney fan as an adult. And this is my and my family's first Adventures by Disney trip! So I'm looking forward to a nice vacation and possibly meeting some of you next month. :)

Wow thank you for calling ABD Manager and also sharing with us the information you've got.
It's a little discouraging the Imagineering studios part, but having the possibility to spend 2 days with an imagineer is also awesome. Maybe they could include the Griffith Carousel again? I'd love to see that.

I guess at some point they will have a trip to imagineering in Florida (or some sort of tour) and I'm planning on going to WDW soon too.

One question though, I'm concerned about the crowds. I'm still deciding when to travel. Seems like all of the trips take place during the busy days at the parks, Spring break, Graduation nights, summer, Labor day... Does the trip include a direct entrance to the attractions? or just "fast passes" which are nowadays even slower than regular queues?

Hi all,
quick question, first time ABD’er here, what do we do with the pins and luggage straps, etc? I assume the tags and luggage straps are to identify our bags from moving from one place to another, but for the DL ABD we are just in one resort.
And we place the pins on the lanyard and wear them throughout? thanks.

Hi all,
quick question, first time ABD’er here, what do we do with the pins and luggage straps, etc? I assume the tags and luggage straps are to identify our bags from moving from one place to another, but for the DL ABD we are just in one resort.
And we place the pins on the lanyard and wear them throughout? thanks.
I thought the luggage straps are to help us and the driver picking us up identify our bags when they come out on the luggage carousel at the airport. I am not sure about the pins. I read someone going on another ABD say you do not need to bring them. I am not planning on bringing the pins we received.

I thought the luggage straps are to help us and the driver picking us up identify our bags when they come out on the luggage carousel at the airport. I am not sure about the pins. I read someone going on another ABD say you do not need to bring them. I am not planning on bringing the pins we received.
No need to bring the pins unless you want to wear them--often in our past trips some people did collect the daily pin, add it to their lanyard and wear it on tour. We didn't-- I collected all of the pins for my family each day and stored them in a baggie I brought for safe keeping! (I learned quickly that at least with the pins from 15 or so years ago that he backings would pop off while wearing the lanyard).

Have you considered San Diego versus LA for your pre-trip stay? Have a DD at San Diego State and it’s such a beautiful and easy to navigate place! If you don’t want to drive, you can hop the Surfliner from LA to SD- gorgeous coastal high-speed train. The drive is only about 2 hours straight down the 5. You can stop at Laguna Beach on the way- maybe one of the most beautiful coastal town I’ve ever experienced!

San Diego has Gorgeous beaches, the best zoo in America, Safari Park at the zoo, Old Town for a little history, sight seeing and dining, Coronado Island for a change of pace, Balboa Park, the list goes on! Amazing Tacos on every corner, lovely seafood places downtown near the bay or a quick drive to La Jolla for nice dining and shopping. So easy to get around! We’ve really never experienced bad traffic (she played volleyball and we have done many visits to attend matches). Good luck and enjoy!!
So true-- my hometown, and we love it! I'd recommend doing the hop on hop off trolley tour-- park for free in Old Town and catch it there-- ges all around , including the zoo/Balboa and over to Coronado (gotta see the Hotel Del-- the Grand Floridian was modeled after it). If time and a car, the Safari Park out in the Escondido area is a beautiful place to walk, see animals, etc).

I just got an itinerary update for the May 22nd trip:

On Day 3, our group will now visit the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. You’ll be able to enjoy a two hour self-guided tour through the largest museum in the United States devoted to the arts, sciences, and artists of moviemaking. While at the museum, we’ll enjoy lunch at Fanny’s Café. Additional information about Academy Museum of Motion Pictures can be found here: https://www.academymuseum.org

We will then travel by motor coach to Walt Disney Studios and the Walt Disney Archives. Following this experience, we will visit Mickey’s of Glendale at the Walt Disney Imagineering Campus in Glendale. A Walt Disney Imagineering Cast Member will now join us on Day 4 for a guided walking tour in Disneyland Park.

So Imagineering is out (other than the shop) and instead it's a 2 hour visit to the Academy Museum with no guide, which sounds like an incredibly poor substitute. Like a lot of other people The Imagineering visit was the main reason I booked this trip so I'm really disappointed. At least the Studios and Archives portion is still happening.

I'm seriously considering trying to get a refund on the trip now but I don't know if that's a real option.

I just got an itinerary update for the May 22nd trip:

So Imagineering is out (other than the shop) and instead it's a 2 hour visit to the Academy Museum with no guide, which sounds like an incredibly poor substitute. Like a lot of other people The Imagineering visit was the main reason I booked this trip so I'm really disappointed. At least the Studios and Archives portion is still happening.

I'm seriously considering trying to get a refund on the trip now but I don't know if that's a real option.

I got the same email about my 4/17. I don't love losing imagineering, but at least it sounds as if we are not outside only at the Studios and we still get to go to the archive and Jim Henson studios. Plus the tour by the Imagineer...

I got the same email about my 4/17. I don't love losing imagineering, but at least it sounds as if we are not outside only at the Studios and we still get to go to the archive and Jim Henson studios. Plus the tour by the Imagineer...
That's what I think it'll really come down to, if we get to go inside Studios/the Archives or not.

Are you doing the full tour or just the Escape version? Day 2 of the escape itinerary was supposed to be:
Private tour of studios and archives
Visit the archives
Shop in the studio store
Lunch at the commissary
Private tour of Walt Disney Imagineering
Dinner at Tam O'Shanter

A 2 hour self-guided tour of the Academy of Motion Picture Museum and lunch there is in no way an acceptable substitute. Touring DL for 4 hours with an Imagineer is cool, but that was already supposed to be a DL day and presumably it will replace whatever the guides could have said. Marginally better, but still, effectively we're paying $6k for a $100 Keys to the Kingdom tour.

Are you doing the full tour or just the Escape version? Day 2 of the escape itinerary was supposed to be:
Private tour of studios and archives
Visit the archives
Shop in the studio store
Lunch at the commissary
Private tour of Walt Disney Imagineering
Dinner at Tam O'Shanter

A 2 hour self-guided tour of the Academy of Motion Picture Museum and lunch there is in no way an acceptable substitute. Touring DL for 4 hours with an Imagineer is cool, but that was already supposed to be a DL day and presumably it will replace whatever the guides could have said. Marginally better, but still, effectively we're paying $6k for a $100 Keys to the Kingdom tour.
Worse, we probably have $10k of additional expenses between flights, extra days at Disney, extra tours, etc, that were ONLY added to accommodate being out there for this one experience. If not for this tour we wouldn't be doing any of it. I'm trying to be open minded but this is not ok.

[
Hi Chris, were there any other changes to the long trip? Due to a family issue, I have to cancel my upcoming short escape but want to book a long trip hopefully for late summer.

Can you take advantage of the refunds people are getting due to the vaccination update? I was reading about that in another thread.

This must be so disappointing. I feel bad for everyone signed up for one of these who feels let down by the changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter