Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

A 2 hour self-guided tour of the Academy of Motion Picture Museum and lunch there is in no way an acceptable substitute. Touring DL for 4 hours with an Imagineer is cool, but that was already supposed to be a DL day and presumably it will replace whatever the guides could have said. Marginally better, but still, effectively we're paying $6k for a $100 Keys to the Kingdom tour.
I just have to throw in, I have done the Keys to the Kingdom tour at Disneyland, and what you will get at Disneyland with ABD is *NOT* the same access at all. I'm not saying it negates missing out on Imagineering, but it is misleading to say it's equivalent to the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

Sayhello

I just have to throw in, I have done the Keys to the Kingdom tour at Disneyland, and what you will get at Disneyland with ABD is *NOT* the same access at all. I'm not saying it negates missing out on Imagineering, but it is misleading to say it's equivalent to the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

Sayhello
I've seen a lot of people tossing around that comparison and as someone who hasn't done either I was curious what the major differences are?

I also got the email from my TA today about the itinerary changes. I fully understand everyone’s frustrations & I’m sorry folks are feeling that, but I’m just so thrilled and relieved it’s happening (this is my third attempt at this trip). I haven’t been to DLR in 21 years and doing this trip (in theory) just took so much planning stress off my shoulders because of hotels, transportation, etc - all things I wouldn’t have to stress myself out researching and could just go with the flow.

Sayhello
Fair enough, but it's one of the behind the scenes group tours that Disney offers. Do you have a better comparison? FWIW VIP is between $400-700/hour for a private tour that grants better access to rides than what AbD will offer, and we wouldn't be flying out to DL just to do VIP.

Reading the trip report below, sounds like you get into the park early (fun), rode rides (no different from VIP), saw Walt's apartment (incredible..but worth thousands of dollars?), went backstage (similar to other behind the scenes group tours), and then are on your own with fastpasses (so worse than VIP). Dinner and a VIP viewing of WoC (which is also replicatable using VIP) follows. Given that, what else do you think sets AbD apart from another generic behind the scenes tour?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/so-cal-short-escape-10-4-2018-trip-report.3724783/

I also got the email from my TA today about the itinerary changes. I fully understand everyone’s frustrations & I’m sorry folks are feeling that, but I’m just so thrilled and relieved it’s happening (this is my third attempt at this trip). I haven’t been to DLR in 21 years and doing this trip (in theory) just took so much planning stress off my shoulders because of hotels, transportation, etc - all things I wouldn’t have to stress myself out researching and could just go with the flow.
I genuinely hope that it is everything you want it to be! Life is stressful enough.

Fair enough, but it's one of the behind the scenes group tours that Disney offers. Do you have a better comparison? FWIW VIP is between $400-700/hour for a private tour that grants better access to rides than what AbD will offer, and we wouldn't be flying out to DL just to do VIP.

Reading the trip report below, sounds like you get into the park early (fun), rode rides (no different from VIP), saw Walt's apartment (incredible..but worth thousands of dollars?), went backstage (similar to other behind the scenes group tours), and then are on your own with fastpasses (so worse than VIP). Dinner and a VIP viewing of WoC (which is also replicatable using VIP) follows. Given that, what else do you think sets AbD apart from another generic behind the scenes tour?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/so-cal-short-escape-10-4-2018-trip-report.3724783/
Well, first off, I have to correct myself. It's not called "The Keys to the Kingdom" tour at Disneyland, it's "Walk in Walt's Footsteps". We did get fastracked onto some rides, and got to go to Walt's Apartment, but there really wasn't any backstage "how does it work" stuff. It was mostly walking the park and doing rides with a Guide to explain the history and fun features to us.

And you are right, the ABD would in no way be comparable to a VIP tour as far as access to rides is concerned. But I don't believe the VIP tours take you backstage on the rides, to "see how they work" like the ABD does. I could be wrong about that, but I did some googling, and did not see that kind of access mentioned anywhere. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Sayhello

I've seen a lot of people tossing around that comparison and as someone who hasn't done either I was curious what the major differences are?
The "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour (the Disneyland version is not called "Keys to the Kingdom". My bad.) is meant to be a tour that explores the history of Disneyland Park, point out fun facts, and get you front-of-the-line access to a couple or three rides. It also takes you to Walt's Apartment and includes a light lunch. The ABD does all that, but also includes some behind-the-scenes, "how does it work" type of access to places most other folks are not allowed, gives you VIP viewing for the parades and/or Fantasmic and/or World of Color depending on what's running. The Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour is only in Disneyland Park for 3 to 4 hours. The ABD is an all-day affair (2 days on the regular trip, and 1 day on the Escape) and also includes California Adventure. It includes more of your meals, and some sort of Fastpass access for when you're not with the Guides (on your own time). When you are done with the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Guide, it's done. No extra access for you.

Sayhello

The kind of tour I was looking for had experiences that we couldn’t replicate on our own. This trip is 100% meant for DS based on his enjoyment of things like Behind the Attractions. Therefore we want access to imagineering, touring the archives, and unique backstage experiences, and general Disney magic. Unfortunately most of that is being removed.

We put absolutely no value on any of the following because we can do it better/cheaper:
Hotel
Meals
Ride access
Airport transfers

Shopping at the imagineering store is neutral at best for DS, and 2 hours at the Academy of Motion Pictures museum is a strong negative.

To be clear, we would not be choosing to go to DL at all had it not been for the “special” parts of the tour.

We had been considering multiple AbD trips that would allow for special grandparent/grandchild experiences. Unless something drastically changes this is no longer going to be a consideration, which is unfortunate because we are a huge Disney family and were willing to pay a premium for the level of service we expect from them.

We factored in the great value of staying at the Grand California hotel, my favorite Disney hotel---loved this trip in 2018, and had planned to do it again but for the pandemic. I have every confidence that ABD will not disappoint.

We factored in the great value of staying at the Grand California hotel, my favorite Disney hotel---loved this trip in 2018, and had planned to do it again but for the pandemic. I have every confidence that ABD will not disappoint.
Grand California is truly a spectacular hotel, perhaps one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. When I said we didn’t value it it’s because as DVC members we already have the ability to stay there “for free,” so paying for it via the tour is actually a (known) negative.

We are going to try to have a positive attitude, especially in front of DS. He is still really excited to go. I don’t want to take that away from him.

Are you doing the full tour or just the Escape version? Day 2 of the escape itinerary was supposed to be:
Private tour of studios and archives
Visit the archives
Shop in the studio store
Lunch at the commissary
Private tour of Walt Disney Imagineering
Dinner at Tam O'Shanter

A 2 hour self-guided tour of the Academy of Motion Picture Museum and lunch there is in no way an acceptable substitute. Touring DL for 4 hours with an Imagineer is cool, but that was already supposed to be a DL day and presumably it will replace whatever the guides could have said. Marginally better, but still, effectively we're paying $6k for a $100 Keys to the Kingdom tour.

From what I understand from Disney:

Private tour of studios and archives - We only get the outside tour now, unless the studios and/or archives open prior to our tour date
Visit the archives - This is replaced by us visiting Disney props and holding the Academy Award at the Academy museum.
Shop in the studio store - I was told there was still a shopping stop. The paperwork says Mickey's of Glendale
Lunch at the commissary - This is replaced with lunch a the Academy museum
Private tour of Walt Disney Imagineering - Replaced with the tour led by an Imagineer our first night at Disney
Dinner at Tam O'Shanter - I didn't address this one with the ABD Manager. I think based on the comment on the bottom of the revised itinerary email sent today that it's still a go, as it said "All other activities are scheduled to take place as planned."

From what I understand from Disney:

Private tour of studios and archives - We only get the outside tour now, unless the studios and/or archives open prior to our tour date
Visit the archives - This is replaced by us visiting Disney props and holding the Academy Award at the Academy museum.
Shop in the studio store - I was told there was still a shopping stop. The paperwork says Mickey's of Glendale
Lunch at the commissary - This is replaced with lunch a the Academy museum
Private tour of Walt Disney Imagineering - Replaced with the tour led by an Imagineer our first night at Disney
Dinner at Tam O'Shanter - I didn't address this one with the ABD Manager. I think based on the comment on the bottom of the revised itinerary email sent today that it's still a go, as it said "All other activities are scheduled to take place as planned."
Thanks. Have they given you a straight answer on how this is in any way comparable to how the tour was described? Of the 7 trip highlights currently listed on the website, 4 (including 3 of the most unique elements) are now substantially different?

Imagineering, studio tour, archive, and world of color.

Trip Highlights
Walt Disney Imagineering Tour
See how Disney’s Imagineers create the magic at Disney theme parks and resorts.

Walt Disney's Disneyland Apartment
Enjoy an exclusive visit to Walt's private apartment overlooking Main Street, U.S.A.

The Walt Disney Studios Private Tour
Get a guided tour of the famed studio where some of Disney’s classic films were made.

VIP Visit to Disneyland Resort Theme Parks
Enjoy a 4-Day Park Hopper® Ticket and special access to the iconic theme parks.

Disney Archives Visit
See a treasure trove of props and costumes from your favorite Disney films.

Tam O'Shanter Restaurant
Dine at this Los Angeles classic that opened in 1922 and was a favorite hangout of Walt Disney.

World of Color Reserved Viewing
Watch in wonder as Disney Characters come to life in this watery nighttime spectacular.

Grand California is truly a spectacular hotel, perhaps one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. When I said we didn’t value it it’s because as DVC members we already have the ability to stay there “for free,” so paying for it via the tour is actually a (known) negative.

We are going to try to have a positive attitude, especially in front of DS. He is still really excited to go. I don’t want to take that away from him.
I'm a DVC member as well but I've never been able to actually snag a room at Grand California since it's not my home resort and the points per night are so high. Glad to hear it's as nice as it looks!

I'm a DVC member as well but I've never been able to actually snag a room at Grand California since it's not my home resort and the points per night are so high. Glad to hear it's as nice as it looks!
I believe hotel tours are being offered again-- may not work into your schedule though. I love hanging by the fireplace listening to the lobby pianist. 😌

I just got an email from my agent that I'm not paid in full and will lose my trip if I don't pay by the 5 PM on the 30th. I've been paid in full for 6 months.

Called ABD and they can't help me because I went through an agent and my DreamsUnlimited agent is apparently out of the office. I left a message with their general phone line to please call me ASAP, so I guess stressing out about this is my new weekend plan.

I just got an email from my agent that I'm not paid in full and will lose my trip if I don't pay by the 5 PM on the 30th. I've been paid in full for 6 months.

Called ABD and they can't help me because I went through an agent and my DreamsUnlimited agent is apparently out of the office. I left a message with their general phone line to please call me ASAP, so I guess stressing out about this is my new weekend plan.
Don't you have some sort of Credit Card statement with the charge showing on it? Or get an email from ABD showing a zero balance from when you paid? While I can TOTALLY understand how frustrating this is, it should be pretty easy to prove you already paid. And if it's not, you DEFINITELY need a new travel agent.

Sayhello

It really is. If you ever get the chance to go around Christmas you will not be disappointed. We lucked out mid-week a few years ago. It also helped on the points chart. The other nice thing about Cali is it doesn’t require a lot of days, so 2-3 nights makes for a good trip there.

We’ve done both the Keys to the Kingdom tour and the VIP tour at walt disney world, and as you know they are different things. But what really makes them special is that they allow you to do things *that you can’t do on your own.* I hope ABD (and this being our first ABD) would do the same.

Don't you have some sort of Credit Card statement with the charge showing on it? Or get an email from ABD showing a zero balance from when you paid? While I can TOTALLY understand how frustrating this is, it should be pretty easy to prove you already paid. And if it's not, you DEFINITELY need a new travel agent.

Sayhello
I'm pulling old CC statements while I wait for a call back.

I did an add-on night at the end of the trip and I'm assuming that got botched somehow on the payment side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter