Southern Opinions of Homecomin'

N

nw6675

Curious - Homecomin' gets such rave reviews and I wasn't sure whether it is because the food is just THAT good or if homestyle southern staples is a unique experience for some coming from outside the southern states.

Asking because I'm so torn on my plans and the menu is not much different than a Sunday dinner that I can cook anytime (and do on occasion - including Hummingbird cake.....minus the donuts lol).

For my Southern friends, is the food so good that you would give up something else in your plans to eat there?

Sincerely,
A Friendly Southerner by way of NC, TN and VA (although....VA is a bit questionable :p)

We are from KY, which is generally considered the most northern part of the south, but my Step-mom is an amazing southern cook. That being said, we LOVED Homecomin'. The chicken biscuits were my favorite thing.

Love it! Grew up in Oklahoma with family from Alabama. Have lived in Texas for a long time now. I do think their deviled eggs are bit bland, but I make mine with a lot of seasoning, ie ground mustard, dijon, smoked Spanish paprika. I love their pimento cheese dip. I really don't like ham, but the shaved ham on the fried green tomato appetizer and the Jaspar board are amazing. I don't like fried chicken, but the breading on the kids chicken tenders is so good. Excellent sides. I need to try the greens but always go for the starch.

I’m in Atlanta and really want to love Homecomin, but I’ve tried it 3 times and haven’t fallen in love with it yet. The fried chicken is very good, but I’ve had better biscuits and even (gasp) Mac and cheese. Theirs was just too much. It had a layer of oil on top. That said, I’m sure I’ll keep going back and trying! They have some of the best sweet tea you’ll find at WDW though.

I'm in NC. Homecomin' IS that good to us. Frankly, I no longer trust my fellow North Carolinians on their food reviews. They all rave over local BBQ or the fried chicken their MeeMaw makes or the mac and cheese that lady at church brings to the potluck and I've tried all of it and it's just awful. People are dear about the things they grew up eating.

Homecomin' is wonderful....to us.

I'm in NC. Homecomin' IS that good to us. Frankly, I no longer trust my fellow North Carolinians on their food reviews. They all rave over local BBQ or the fried chicken their MeeMaw makes or the mac and cheese that lady at church brings to the potluck and I've tried all of it and it's just awful. People are dear about the things they grew up eating.

My mom raised me to only eat food she or my granny brought to the church potluck....cause you just never know what is coming out of somebody else's kitchen :rotfl2:Granted, she was (and is) a germaphobe, but still.

We're going to keep our ADR and try it out. DH is a fried chicken fiend, so I know he will be super happy.

As a fellow North Carolinian :oops:. Lol, but you are correct; Homecomin' is delicious.

We are from FL and loved the chicken! I was hoping to try the shrimp and grits ( if it's low country style) but not going to DS this trip.

While we live in PA now, I spent the first 40 years of my life in Nashville. Our first experience at Homecoming a couple of years ago was a mixed bag: delicious thigh high biscuit app, very mediocre pulled pork and mac and cheese, pretty decent shrimp and grits, then terrific chocolate pecan pie.

We continued to hear the rave reviews so just gave it another try for brunch yesterday. Everything we ordered was fantastic. I loved my Hallelujah biscuit!

My recommendation - go for any version of that chicken! It’s some of the best I’ve ever had.

We are from that questionable "southern" state you mentioned and we are huge fans of Homecoming. Their actual fried chicken isn't my absolute favorite (in a sacrilege to Southerns everywhere I love Korean fried chicken), but their chicken thigh biscuits are a thing of beauty. Also love the hush puppies, collard greens, and mac and cheese.

While we live in PA now, I spent the first 40 years of my life in Nashville. Our first experience at Homecoming a couple of years ago was a mixed bag: delicious thigh high biscuit app, very mediocre pulled pork and mac and cheese, pretty decent shrimp and grits, then terrific chocolate pecan pie.

We continued to hear the rave reviews so just gave it another try for brunch yesterday. Everything we ordered was fantastic. I loved my Hallelujah biscuit!

My recommendation - go for any version of that chicken! It’s some of the best I’ve ever had.

We spent 13 years in Nashville until moving to VA a couple of years ago! VA became a questionable southern state to me after we moved here and most people just aren't, well, Nashvillianish/extrovertedly friendly. Although, I've become more accustomed to the differences now. :D

Thanks for the recommendation!

Another VA native here (though NoVA, which is 100% not southern lol), and spent the last 5ish years in Texas. I loooove Homecomin'!!

NC here and while I thought Homecomin’ was very good, I would not spend the $ on it again since it really was like a typical family dinner. We shared 2 meals between the 4 of us and after tip (and with an AP discount) it cost $100!!

South Carolina here. Its good but I wouldnt make a special stop. I would def eat there again however.

Texas (yes, I know, not true south, but we're on the border of the south and southwest, so maybe???) The fried green tomatoes are AMAZING! and the biscuits and gravy are far better than any I can make!

Also from Texas - we love Homecomin' wished we had done it twice last trip instead of another restaurant in Disney Springs...anyway I digress. The Hushpuppies were so good we had to order a second order then (4 adults) split 2 plates of chicken and a kitchen plate (sides) and hummingbird cake --- so so good!

I'm from GA, and we really wanted to love Homecomin but weren't impressed.

The fried chicken had a weird flavor, and left a weird aftertaste. All of the sides were kinda meh....I am very picky with macaroni and cheese, so it was kinda lacking flavor even though it had a ton of cheese. The deviled eggs definitely aren't the best thing in the world either....the only thing we were happy with was that they offered sweet tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter