Southwest shoes...

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
We are going on the Southwest Splendors trip in August and I am wondering what kind of shoes are required. No one in my family is a hiker - we definitely won't be doing any hiking outside of the ABD trip - so I really don't want to spend the money on "hiking boots" if not absolutely necessary. Can you just wear comfortable sneakers? Personally I usually spend the summer in sandals, but I'm assuming those won't fly.

Suggestions are welcome - thanks.

:)

When we did river raft trip in 2003 (no not ABD) we spent the entire trip in Tivas. We hiked up really big trails, spent every day on a raft (half the day soaked from the rapids) and did several fairly long (couple miles) trail hikes. I have had spotty luck with most sandals and getting blisters, but I literally lived in my Tivas and from what I can see I probably would do Southwest Splendors the same way.
BUT, only if you are totally comfortable in sandals and you have good sturdy ones... that are comfortable to really walk in.
Not sure what the hike in redrock is like, but tivas will definately not come amiss in the river trip.

If you don't love sandals, you will want a good sturdy pair of walking shoes.

Have a wonderful trip... and do take lots and lots of pictures. The canyon is always changing with the shadows and sunlight... the critters crawling all around... I would do it again in a heartbeat... everywhere you are going is absolutely stunning to look at and it makes you feel SO small and insignificant.

figgy:hippie:

Glass Slipper,
We did this trip last year. I wore my running shoes and they were perfect. You will need some form of crocs or water shoes for rafting. No hiking boots necessary and sandals definitely will not do! Have a great trip!

what...you're not wanting to wear a......glass slipper??? jk, couldn't resist!

Anyway, we've always worn our running shoes for major walking trips, but last month on a trip to D.C. they just didn't cut it. I'm *sure* it was the all the marble floors in the museums, and not that we're getting older. The couple with us was doing fine at the end of each day, so we checked out their footwear...

They were wearing "light hikers." These look like a cross between a hiking boot and a running shoe, because that is what they are. They are low cut like regular shoes, but are incredibly sturdy and supportive, and have the grippy vibram soles. They have a wicking lining and are quick dry, and weigh a lot less than our big hiking boots.

DH and and I each got a pair of these light hikers that we plan on wearing for our various trips coming up. DD11 opted for a similar shoe, slightly lighter weight, called a "trail runner," basically a board lasted running shoe with a hefty sole. We all got different brands, as there are many to choose from. They were at our local Outdoor Provision Company. The guy helping us with them claims they are good for hikes on most terrain as long as one is not carrying more than a few pounds (in a backpack, not referring to the more-than-a-few extra pounds I carry around permanently!)

Anyway, just thought I'd share as I hadn't really known about this type of shoe before, and anything that can cover mulitple bases certainly helps with packing.

I'll second kristilew here. I have a pair of New Balance light hikers that are sturdier versions of their athletic shoes. Suede, nice lug-soles, but super light, and pretty much the same cost as athletic shoes. I've used them hiking in Alaska (and will again this summer!) and used them on the Southwest Splendors tour, hiking Red Rocks, the Grand Canyon and Arches. Especially for Arches. The terrain can be slippery, (they don't call it "slick rock" for nothing), and I felt more secure wearing something with some grip & tread. That said, other people did wear regular athletic shoes, or Keens, and did fine. I really think it depends on what you are used to or comfortable with. (I wore Keens during the rafting).

But regular sandals would never cut it for most of this trip, except maybe the free afternoon in Sedona or Moab, where you're just shopping.

Sayhello

New balance hikers:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/search_results.asp?searchType=quick&qry=hiking+shoes&s1=google&s2=NB+T2&s3=New+Balance+Hiking+Shoes+e&gclid=CPGGgrT9hJoCFR1N5Qod6T7NFQ

Keens:

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw08/shoes/women/waterfront/laguna%20h2

Thanks everyone!

OK, so I picked the glassslipper name ages ago when my girls were little and I had a hard time thinking about anything except what they were doing at that exact moment, which was playing Cinderella and Snow White... I'm definitely not a glassslipper wearing person.

Kristilew, what brand are the shoes you and DD11 got? Those and the ones Sayhello mentioned might be a good idea. I will probably have to buy something anyway, since my existing sneakers are old and floppy so I don't think they would work. I'm betting my husband will wear Keens the whole time. I've thought about getting a pair for myself but don't totally love them.

For the rafting trip, can you just wear water shoes without any real support (the ones that are sort of like pull on-slippers) or do you need something like Keens or Tevas?

Thanks again -

I got the Northface Sorceress shoe: http://http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/53627450/c/183003.html I haven't worn it yet and may look at a pair of Merrill's before I make my final choice.

DD11 went for the Brooks Adreneline ASR5: http://www.ems.com/1/1/34678-brooks-womens-adrenaline-asr-5-trail-running-shoe.html She has really narrow feet, and this runs narrow. She has worn them almost daily for the past 2 weeks and really loves them. (You know it must feel good if a tween is choosing it over the "cute" spring time shoes!)

Our friends on the DC trip were both wearing the New Balance like SayHello got, and were very pleased with them.

For our rafting trip last year, I got the Lands End Beach Trekkers. They don't have the exact ones this year, but sort of like these: http://www.landsend.com/pp/RiverTrekkerShoes~184037_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::ZBJ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009_0000000309_0000000916&origin=index I guess you could wear the lighter kind. We did switch shoes after the rafting b/c our feet were soaked, but a lot of people just wore their wet shoes. You do need to wear something that won't come off if you fall in. (don't know if this is likely on the Southwest trip, but people were in the water on our Peru trip.)

hope that helps!

Thanks! I like the look of the Northface one, not bad at all! I guess I will have to get to a shoe store and try some of these on. I definitely want to get the right shoes for me and my kids in advance of the trip so we wear them in a bit.

I wonder if there is much hiking after the raft part of the trip, or if there is a chance to change?

Thanks! I like the look of the Northface one, not bad at all! I guess I will have to get to a shoe store and try some of these on. I definitely want to get the right shoes for me and my kids in advance of the trip so we wear them in a bit.

I wonder if there is much hiking after the raft part of the trip, or if there is a chance to change?

When we did Southwest Splendors last year, the only walking after the raft trip was to the bus. We changed our shoes on the bus. They supplied towels to dry ourselves off and we went immediately back to the hotel to change.

On our trip the guides grouped people together in the rafts according to how active we had been on the entire trip. One raft gently floated down the river, one raft only got wet when we had a water fight with them, and on our raft everyone got wet and at one point three people fell out of the raft when we hit one set of rapids at a right angle. We knew this was going to happen because the river guide asked us if we wanted to do this and be adventurous.

Just adding my two cents, because I am definitely not a hiker and worried about this before our trip last summer. I got a pair of Merrills that feel like sneakers (apologies because I do not remember the specific name) and were nice and light on my feet but had excellent tread. I think the tread is the most important part, especially on the hike to Delicate Arch. I always felt very secure and stable. For the kids, we got them terrific Tevas that were kind of a cross between a water shoe and a sneaker. They close with velcro, have wonderful tread, weigh nothing and can go in the water. They wore them everywhere, never got blisters and loved them. We wore our Teva water shoes for the rafting ride.

Hope that helps.

I took my Northface light hikers to NYC this weekend and they were a disaster. My feet hurt after just a few blocks of walking and I was miserable after an hour. So glad I found out now! I think maybe I bought them a half size too big. They felt great in the store and walking around the house, but just didn't come through with the arch or heel support when I needed it.

So glad I found out now, when I still have a few weeks before my two big walking trips. Back to the shopping - I'll let you know what I end up getting in replacement of these.

I took my Northface light hikers to NYC this weekend and they were a disaster. My feet hurt after just a few blocks of walking and I was miserable after an hour. So glad I found out now! I think maybe I bought them a half size too big. They felt great in the store and walking around the house, but just didn't come through with the arch or heel support when I needed it.

So glad I found out now, when I still have a few weeks before my two big walking trips. Back to the shopping - I'll let you know what I end up getting in replacement of these.
If you don't find anything better, you might want to look into getting Spenco inserts for the Northface hikers. I *always* replace the insoles in any shoes I buy with Spencos. They really add a lot of heel and arch support. I buy them at the local New Balance store, but I bet a lot of places carry them.

Best of luck!
Hewene

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter