• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Souvenier you regret buying

Anything we bought that had glitter on it (costume jewlery, Tshirts, Head bobbles, etc.)

glitter gets everywhere and does not last through the a couple cleanings. Albeit I knew this going in... but my wife always looked at me funny whenever she found glitter on me. :confused3

The only thing I regret (and I really don't care as it was a couple bucks) is the Mickey head antenna holder. My antenna is wider and it doesn't fit. Oh well.

I had the same problem so I put two little slits in the hole with a steak knife and the bopper went right on and has stayed on since July with no problem (even through a New Englad winter)

We really don't have regrets. DH and I don't really buy much at WDW. We buy a lot of our souvenirs ahead of time at the Disney store on sale for a fraction of the price (not necessarily park exclusive stuff, but still Disney) and we buy cheap alternatives of things like light up bracelets. My girls have picked up a couple light up toys but we bring those back every trip so they never feel the need to buy another one; we've actually bought a few of those at garage sales and bring them with us. The things we do buy at WDW are things that have some kind of meaning or are really special to us. Well, I suppose I kind of regret that I didn't get a bigger Dooney Sketch; the satchel just isn't as big as I need. Of course that did give me an excuse to buy a Mickey Head Dooney on another trip so it's not really a regret.

I'm sure my kids have things they regret buying because they good to choose what they want to spend their money on. DD13 has one of the those expensive ventrilloquest dummies from China and only used it a couple times. She still seems happy about the purchase when she sees him though. DD10 has one too but hers we found at a garage sale for $1. I guess somebody else regretted buying him as well.

I guess my message of the day is that you can benefit from other people's regrets by buying their regrets at their garage sales for pennies on the dollar. :thumbsup2

The salt & pepper grinders with the Mickey head on top. They came prefilled, and my guess is the pepper corns are just too much for the grinder because the acrylic inside cylinder that holds the peppercorns shattered. The outside is a round type clear ball, and my husband noticed the light hitting it and reflecting colors...at closer look, you could see the inside holder was shattered.
Had a heck of a time getting a replacement, but Disney finally came through. Then the 2nd one did the same exact thing! When I called about the 2nd one, they wanted to send us a third one...I said sure (but my gut said no). You can guess what happened to that also. When I called about the third one, I asked that my money be refunded for the set and I would send the salt and pepper grinders back (they were meant to be a set...didn't want just one). The CM suggested that it had been dropped and didn't want to refund anything. Upon further review of the account, the supervisor readily agreed to refund us and paid for the shipping to send it back and she said she was contacting the manufacturer.
I wonder how much acrylic I added to our food when I used the dang thing without noticing it was broken!

Thank you for sharing this. I've been thinking of buying these every time I've seen them over our last few trips. I'd be very disappointed if we ended up with bits of plastic ground into our salt or pepper.

The only thing I regret (and I really don't care as it was a couple bucks) is the Mickey head antenna holder. My antenna is wider and it doesn't fit. Oh well.

There have been a few times I've almost bought antenna toppers because I'd see a really cute one. Thank goodness I remember before getting to the checkout that we don't have any vehicles with an antenna.

Mine is a short blue plastic cup, kind of square, with bright colored Mickey heads on it. I only bought one in Dec. 2010 (kind of pricey) and I love it. I went back in May 2011 and they are discontinued - replaced with a taller version in green. I bought it but again only one since they really are pricey.

One gripe: In December 2010 we searched high & low for any kind of souvenir with "2010" on it. NOTHING. Everything was already showing 2011 (why???). So this trip we ended up visiting the Disney outlet at the Orlando Premium Outlet Mall (looking for my danged blue cup) and - you guessed it - they had tons of stuff with "2010" on it. :confused3 I am positive we were not the only ones in December looking for 2010 stuff - who wants a souvenir for the wrong year?

some kitchen towels, they shrunk up alot after the first washing in cold water. Well, and all the Mickey head antenae toppers, I got two sets of seasonal ones for year-round use. A few months later we sold our minivan, and the replacement Honda Pilot has no antenae for Mickey to top!

Sounds like the dishwasher clean/dirty thing is the way to go next time! Thankfully I was able to talk my 9 year old out of the pirate suit he insisted he wanted, and into a POC t-shirt instead! He wears it all the time!

I don't have problems with my ice cube tray when I don't fill it up all the way. I don't like some of my shirts. Everything else I love!

For those of you that regret Pal Mickey, sell him on eBay. You will make back your money and then some!

Sadly, I think DH tossed it out w/ the stuffed animals last time he went to "thin the herd" of stuffed animals. He knows I can never toss out animals so he does it w/o my DS11 and my knowledge. Oh well. I'll look though. Thanks for the tip.

Yes!! The stupid ice cube trays!!!:headache:

Also, I bought a Minnie oven mitt that I've used a couple times, but I'm always worried I'm going to get it dirty.

I can't say that we have many regrets; we have an ice cube tray, and now we've learned the trick to make them work :goodvibes We have the MM salt and pepper shakers (no cracks so far). We also bought the MM egg molds, that don't work...the egg oozes out the bottom! There are only a couple "things that never get worn" but all in all, no regrets!

Add me to the list of people that wasted money on the Mickey ice cube tray.

The salt & pepper grinders with the Mickey head on top. They came prefilled, and my guess is the pepper corns are just too much for the grinder because the acrylic inside cylinder that holds the peppercorns shattered. The outside is a round type clear ball, and my husband noticed the light hitting it and reflecting colors...at closer look, you could see the inside holder was shattered.
Had a heck of a time getting a replacement, but Disney finally came through. Then the 2nd one did the same exact thing! When I called about the 2nd one, they wanted to send us a third one...I said sure (but my gut said no). You can guess what happened to that also. When I called about the third one, I asked that my money be refunded for the set and I would send the salt and pepper grinders back (they were meant to be a set...didn't want just one). The CM suggested that it had been dropped and didn't want to refund anything. Upon further review of the account, the supervisor readily agreed to refund us and paid for the shipping to send it back and she said she was contacting the manufacturer.
I wonder how much acrylic I added to our food when I used the dang thing without noticing it was broken!

We bought the Mickey pepper grinder last fall. It is used most days, has been refilled multiple times and it is still going strong.

I have not read thru the whole thread...but yes I'm another vote for the ice cube trays.

I wracked my brains and all I could think of was spending a load of money on this Epcot Phoenix puppet bird for my daughter when she was 8. Loved much for the moment ... then it just collected dust in her room. Now it's in the attic and she is 23, moved out, and on her own. Maybe I'll send it to her ? :rotfl2: Here's is our beloved and neglected Epcot Phoenix bird...oh and hey while we're at it, the grass skirt and lei and sunglasses from Typhoon Lagoon. :confused3... saving it for the future grandchildren?

Oh...and the MM salt and pepper shakers are a big hit in my sister's family and still going strong! Oh wait...we have Eeyore Ears and Piglet Ears someplace around here.....Actually I don't regret any single purchase!

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

After a "liquid" lunch in World Showcase, DH and I purchased shirts that said "I'm With Dopey" and "I'm with Grumpy". We thought they were HEE LARR EE USS.

When we sobered up, we agreed to never speak of that purchase again. :-) I wear mine to bed occasionally.....

:rotfl:

I bought a metal mug at the outlet store. After awhile, it look like it rusted inside. I had the receipt and tried to take it back on my next trip but they refused to take it back. The manager took it in the back and rinsed it out, she insisted it wasn't rust. Of course, I never used it again.

Are you referring to Disney Vacation Club? Really? I heard everyone loves that. We almost did, but then did not. Maybe I was right. What don't you like about it?

We love our DVC. It's the best thing we've ever done. We got our ROI within 2 years. Love it. Paid for. Love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter