souvenir from Tokyo

Now this is a souvenir that you can only bring home with you if you physically go yo it.

If you have the chance, one time in your life, visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I can not even begin to describe what happens inside you but I believe it is something every one needs to experience.

One of my colleagues gave me a stamp of my name, in kanji. In a lovely carrying case. I am skilled at letting things go but somehow I still cherish it, twenty years after leaving there. These wooden stamps are beautifully done.

I know Japan has that reputation but I didn't find that to be the case at all. Costs were on par or cheaper than what I'm used to spending for comparable items in Maryland.

I have a relative to moved to Japan and my folks have visited. They kept on telling me how expensive everything was, and how small the relative's apartment was where they stayed.

I have a relative to moved to Japan and my folks have visited. They kept on telling me how expensive everything was, and how small the relative's apartment was where they stayed.

The exchange rate is amazing right now. 1 US Dollar=113 yen (it was 120 when we started planning, though...wish it would stop dropping, lol). You can get a fairly great quality lunch meal plus drink for about $9.50 in the heart of Tokyo. A combo meal at Burger King is around $6. Interesting that your relatives found everything to be really expensive, that is the opposite of what I have heard. Will report back in a few weeks!

Also, not sure on apartment costs in general, but for our stay, we snagged a gorgeous fully renovated apartment in the heart of Shinjuku, at the peak of cherry blossom blooming, for $89 a night.

Last edited:

There is a great souvenir shop in Tokyo (Harajuku) called Oriental Bazaar where I got most of my souvenirs when I was there. Beautiful souvenirs, not cheap stuff, not expensive necessarily either.

http://www.orientalbazaar.co.jp/en/

A Kokeshi doll.
https://www.google.com/search?q=kok...ved=0ahUKEwiC7K_5i6DLAhVEND4KHfKfCHAQ_AUIBigB

A woodblock print maybe of Hokusai's Wave

https://www.google.com/search?q=kok...m=isch&q=Hokusai's+wave&imgrc=a75co3cpb3UuQM:

Also, umbrellas are big business in Japan. They use them for rain, snow and sunny days to keep their skin beautiful. DH is going there with two of my kids in November and I'm asking for a new umbrella. I'm not talking about the paper type of umbrella. really beautiful cloth with wooden handles. The last one dh brought me was lilac color but when it got wet, all these tiny flowers appeared.

I agree, i was surprised by how cheap everything was, and the quality of japanese goods is averagely really high.
It probably has to do with the cost of living one is used to as for whether they think Japan is expensive. Just like I had a friend go to Disney for the first time and carry on about how awesomely cheap the drinks were. Lol. I have a feeling other people think the exact opposite. But it's true, a bar tab at Disney costs less than a bar tab at home for us. In regards to Tokyo, I don't think it's any more expensive than any other major city in the U.S. so, if you live in a metropolitan area, Japanese costs won't come as a surprise. Except for those $500 melons. Those are expensive. :D

It probably has to do with the cost of living one is used to as for whether they think Japan is expensive. Just like I had a friend go to Disney for the first time and carry on about how awesomely cheap the drinks were. Lol. I have a feeling other people think the exact opposite. But it's true, a bar tab at Disney costs less than a bar tab at home for us. In regards to Tokyo, I don't think it's any more expensive than any other major city in the U.S. so, if you live in a metropolitan area, Japanese costs won't come as a surprise. Except for those $500 melons. Those are expensive. :D

Exactly. When I go to NYC, I naturally expect things to be a little more expensive than here in Nashville; likewise, Nashville is always a little higher than my hometown. It just depends on what you're used to. From what I've read and heard, costs in Japan will be mostly on par with what we're used to - a few things might be cheaper. Also, as DisneyDoll said, I've read time and time again that the quality of many things in Japan is of a higher caliber.

Exactly. When I go to NYC, I naturally expect things to be a little more expensive than here in Nashville; likewise, Nashville is always a little higher than my hometown. It just depends on what you're used to. From what I've read and heard, costs in Japan will be mostly on par with what we're used to - a few things might be cheaper. Also, as DisneyDoll said, I've read time and time again that the quality of many things in Japan is of a higher caliber.

Dash, I just noticed you're from Nashville. I'm from Memphis! Strange coincidence that we're both hitting Tokyo within a few weeks of each other. Anyway, I have also found the prices to generally be better than I expected thanks to the favorable exchange rate. It seems it's a great time to go!

The cube melons?

Dash, I just noticed you're from Nashville. I'm from Memphis! Strange coincidence that we're both hitting Tokyo within a few weeks of each other. Anyway, I have also found the prices to generally be better than I expected thanks to the favorable exchange rate. It seems it's a great time to go!

Haha, what a small world. Tennessee is the place to be, apparently!! :teeth:

If you knew someone traveling to Tokyo, what might you want them to bring you back?
Same thing I ask everyone to bring me from everywhere - just bring yourself back with a smile and some pictures and stories.

I'm not the one going. which is why I'm looking for ideas of what to ask for

No, that's just what I would say if somebody I knew was going to Japan. :p But I'm going to assume that you're not an anime fan.

Actually, my best friend went to college to learn Japanese. She even lived in Japan for a year. She sent me some of the most awesome stuff!

sailorstitch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter