Soy allergy

redbirdgrad

Mouseketeer
I've searched for this topic and can't really find much - just seeing if anybody has any input. My 7 year old DS, who has been to DisneyWorld twice has a peanut/nut allergy - which we have dealt with for a few years now and at Disney, however, he has developed a Soy allergy - the soy protein causes the analphylatic shock - just like the peanuts. We learned this the hard way with some chicken fingers at school. We were having him go to a pediatric gastro. at the same time due to duodenitis, which we now believe was caused by the influx of soy in tons of products.

Too make a long story short - we know what to look for, but for example, McDonalds hamburger buns are made with soy flour, a common preservative, we have to switch buns with Pepperidge farms buns for him to not get a stomach ache.

Does anyone have experience with the soy issue - I'm thinking about just contacting Disney before we go this year to check on bun ingredients, etc...

You definitely need to contact Disney dining. Make Priority Seatings, mention the allergy and then make sure you speak with the chef before dining. For the most part, the chefs will go out of their way to accomodate you. And they will come up with some fantastic alternatives!

Annie&Hallie'sMom is right, WDW is wonderful in situations like this. Let them know when you make PS's and then speak to the chef at each restaurant. They will bend over backwards to make sure your son has plenty of great food to eat! :D

One thing I discovered when making PSs for my dairy allergic DS was that the CM who took my call checked the ingredients of various counter and food cart foods that my son might be interested in for me. For example, she told me all of the hotdogs were dairy free and the buns - also told me where I could get dairy free chicken fingers (not everywhere). If you called - the standard PS number is the one I used, although others may be aware of a more direct number - and talked about which park(s) and foods you were most interested in, I'm sure they can help. It was certainly nice for us to be able to confidently order some non-sit down meals.

Good luck and have fun!

The last time I was there, October, all the buns and bread had soy flour, but it's worth checking again. The fryers (which use soy oil that your son may or may not tolerate) are not just dedicated to french fries, except at Casey's and McDonald's in Epcot and AK. So you might want to check on the fried food ingredients, too.

I have never spoken to anyone at guest services about which foods are and are not o.k., so let me know if you find out any good information. My son usually just eats plain cheeseburgers with no bun and potato chips or Doritos that we bring with us. He said the burgers in France at Epcot were the best he's ever had.

Comment: McDonald's buns here do not contain soy flour. My soy/ nut allergic son eats them constantly, but I didn't know that Pepperidge farm buns were o.k. We have the hardest time finding bread he can eat. Even if it doesn't list soy, he sometimes has a reaction to a preservative or additive that contains soy. Best of luck.

Thanks everybody - I'll post a full report when the trip is completed - sharing information that I find out. He's never had a problem with the soy oil or french fries ( he could live on those ), but sometimes they add soy protein to chicken nuggets - I'll have to check with Disney on ingredients.

Thanks redbird,

We tried the Pepperidge Farm buns, and my son loves them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter