Space Mountain - DL vs MK

DPCummerbund

DIS Veteran
I've ridden both, but is has been a few years since I was at WDW (2006), so the DL version is fresher in my memory.

I know that at DL, you sit side by side, whereas the MK version is more of a Matterhorn bobsled car. I've heard several reports that the MK version is also a lot rougher, but I don't remember the MK version being that bad, at least for me.

The one improvement I definitely noticed at DL was the new soundtrack. When the MK Space Mountain was refurbished in 2009/2010, did the ride get any smoother? And does it now have the same soundtrack as the one at Disneyland?

I've ridden both, but is has been a few years since I was at WDW (2006), so the DL version is fresher in my memory.

I know that at DL, you sit side by side, whereas the MK version is more of a Matterhorn bobsled car. I've heard several reports that the MK version is also a lot rougher, but I don't remember the MK version being that bad, at least for me.

The one improvement I definitely noticed at DL was the new soundtrack. When the MK Space Mountain was refurbished in 2009/2010, did the ride get any smoother? And does it now have the same soundtrack as the one at Disneyland?

We just rode Space at DLP a couple of months ago.

It seems just as rough as the MK version.

I'm tall and the tight DL version vehicles were painful on my knees (wedged tightly into the vehicle.)
MK version's "bobsleds" allow for more leg freedom.

Soundtracks are not the same, and not played in the same manner.
DLP- speakers in the vehicles.
MK- speakers along the tracks.

I've ridden both and loved both. I'm a senior citizen with problems getting in and out of rides. If I'm by myself, I usually don't ride at WDW because I need a hand getting out of the car. However, the DLP version of Space Mountain is like Toy Story in that they remove cars from the track for people who are slow getting in and out. When everyone is ready, the car is put back on the track again. It's wonderful. Have fun.

Sondra :)

I've ridden both and loved both. I'm a senior citizen with problems getting in and out of rides. If I'm by myself, I usually don't ride at WDW because I need a hand getting out of the car. However, the DLP version of Space Mountain is like Toy Story in that they remove cars from the track for people who are slow getting in and out. When everyone is ready, the car is put back on the track again. It's wonderful. Have fun.

Sondra :)

I do remember seeing that at DL. That seems like a very efficient way to get people on and off rides if they need extra time. I wish they could do that sort of thing with HM and other rides that frequently have to stop.

Soundtracks are not the same, and not played in the same manner.
DLP- speakers in the vehicles.
MK- speakers along the tracks.

Bummer. I've always loved Space Mountain, but that new DL soundtrack is downright epic.

We go to WDW every year, and we just returned from our first DL trip in a while last month. All of us made the comment that Space at DL didn't have nearly as many up and down/hills/dips etc. DL was much more about just turning on the ride, as opposed to feeling the dips etc.

Ok, I am a DL local and I have to say that there is no comparison. The DL version is WAY smoother. We equate the WDW version to our Mattahorn. It feels like the exact same bumpy track, which we really don't love. Maybe it has to do with the cars (Mattahorn and WDW SM seem identical). We still go on the WDW version, but for us, it doesn't even come close to being the same, thrilling experience.

DL's version is better, hands down. WDW is rough and kind of bland. The soundtrack is definite plus to the experience.

Ok, I am a DL local and I have to say that there is no comparison. The DL version is WAY smoother. We equate the WDW version to our Mattahorn. It feels like the exact same bumpy track, which we really don't love. Maybe it has to do with the cars (Mattahorn and WDW SM seem identical). We still go on the WDW version, but for us, it doesn't even come close to being the same, thrilling experience.
Yep. What she said.

Is the DL ride building and Queue area bigger than the one in MK?

I agree with most folks that the WDW ride feels a lot rougher than the one at DLR. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the single versus double rider width because most folks over on the DLR board feel that Matterhorn is pretty rough (especially with the new cars). I was pretty surprised how rough it felt.

Is the DL ride building and Queue area bigger than the one in MK?

I don't know if the queue area is different in size, but they are different in set-up. At DL the FP and Stand-by line meets before you actually enter the ride building. So most of the internal queue area is not used (i.e., you walk through it quickly). The rest of the line (stand-by) is up on a patio/roof-like area. Also, there are no inter-active games in the waiting area.

Space Mountain in DL is a lot smoother than the WDW version, though they are both still fun. I prepare myself for Space Mountain in WDW the same way I prepare myself for the Matterhorn in DL, hold on tight and get ready for a bumpy ride.

I don't know if the queue area is different in size, but they are different in set-up. At DL the FP and Stand-by line meets before you actually enter the ride building. So most of the internal queue area is not used (i.e., you walk through it quickly). The rest of the line (stand-by) is up on a patio/roof-like area. Also, there are no inter-active games in the waiting area.

I noticed this too. You're outside, often in the hot sun, going through boring old turnstiles for a long time. Then, when you finally get inside - where it's cooler and there are finally interesting things to look at - you're rushed through it.

I know this is because of Fastpasses, and the whole ride setup predates that, but you'd think they could have worked out a different system by now.

DPCummerbund said:
I noticed this too. You're outside, often in the hot sun, going through boring old turnstiles for a long time. Then, when you finally get inside - where it's cooler and there are finally interesting things to look at - you're rushed through it.

I know this is because of Fastpasses, and the whole ride setup predates that, but you'd think they could have worked out a different system by now.

Remember, unlike most rides shared by MK and DLR the MK version of Space Mountain was first.

I've never been to DL but is the overall structure of Tomorrowland bigger there? I know they have Innoventions/Star Tours in their Tomorrowland.

Remember, unlike most rides shared by MK and DLR the MK version of Space Mountain was first.

That's certainly true of the attraction itself, as well as the track setup (as far as I know, none of the revisions have changed the layout of either ride). However, they have made some changes to both rides over the years, and it seems like they could have learned from the changes at one park & added them to the other. Perhaps they just want to keep them different?

For example, take the music. I know a lot of purists loved the Dick Dale "surfer" music on the old DL ride, but as I mentioned before, I happen to love the new soundtrack. From what I understand, they renovated the cars & the music on the MK version somewhat in 2009 & 2010 - that would have been an ideal time to add the DL music, but for whatever reason, they chose not to.

I'm all for making the rides at DL & MK different (like the Haunted Mansion). But when something is clearly an improvement (better sound with speakers in the cars rather than on the track), you'd think they would implement it in both places.

We just rode Space at DLP a couple of months ago.
It seems just as rough as the MK version.

Me, too. I was at Disneyland in October and rode Space there for the first time in about 10 years (I usually go to WDW). I was surprised at how rough it was. I love coasters (EE, RnR, BTMRR, California Screamin', etc.) and Space use to be a favorite of mine. But I decided in October I won't go on it again - it seemed very jerky (like those old "mad mouse" type of coasters). And because it's a dark ride, you can't see which way the track is going to turn, so you can't lean into the turns like you would with regular coaster.

:thumbsup2. I only do SM at WDW occasionally because of how rough it is. I thought the DL version was surprisingly smooth.

After going to WDW 4 times and then getting to go to DL this past August, I definitely liked the DL version better. The WDW version terrifies me, and I LOVE roller coasters! I have these irrational fears that I'm going to smash my head into something. Yes I am the annoying girl covering her head and screaming bloody murder the entire time but it is a MUST DO for me. Haha it just doesn't feel like a Disney trip unless I've rode space mountain a couple of times.

But I loved the DL version. It was smoother and the soundtrack is awesome. I like sitting 2 in a car better as well. I'm not a big fan of the 1 per seat. It just made me feel safer and more secure.

My family just took our first trip to DL last May after many years of WDW trips. Overall, we were really surprised at how different all of the rides were. We were really looking forward to riding Mr. Toad, since the WDW has been gone for a long time now, but it was completely a different ride. :guilty:

As for SM, we all thought that the DL version was much smoother and that the ride was much better overall than the WDW version. My only complaint was the flash for the photo at the end of the ride. It was so bright that it was almost painful. I quickly learned to keep my eyes closed tight at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter