• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space Mountain with a 5yr old vs other coasters

bellaprincess98

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if there were any parents out there were nervous about letting their kids ride SM for the first time considering that SM is different than the other coasters? With the other coasters your kid is sitting next to you and you feel a little better knowing that your holding onto him/her and comfort them if they feel nervous.

With SM, I'm worried that with my son sitting alone in a dark ride maybe too much for him. He loves rides and he's not the scared type but with this ride I just dont know!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Yes, I was terrified. I am a worry bug though. I sat behind DD and held onto her the whole way. She kept yelling at me that she was fine, but I kept holding on yelling right back at her that I was doing it for own sanity!! LOL

On Space Mtn you can lean forward and reach around to hold onto your child in front of you a bit if they (or you!) need reassurance. Of course, you will feel like your neck is broken and your spine is twisted in four different directions by the time the ride is over, but it can be done. ;)

You can always try it once and just hope you don't traumatize them too much. Our youngest was 4 last trip, but just made the 44" for Space Mtn and Everest. They were his two favorite rides and he did each at least 10 times. My middle daughter is two years older (same height) and she didn't like them as much. (She's the one I was holding on to on Space Mtn) She only did Everest once and decided to try Space Mtn a second time on our last day.

My daughter rode it for the first time right after she turned four. She's a bit of a wimp but handled it great. One huge thing was my husband and I never put the thought in her head that she might be afraid. We talked about how much fun it was and what a great time she would have.

my dd is a tall girl so she rode a little before her 5th bday...i sat right behind her and held on to her neck the whole enitre time

I was VERY nervous about letting DS6 ride SM (he's very slim), but he was fine and he LOVED it! He rode twice in a row - one with DH and then with me. I sat behind him, but I didn't feel like I needed to "hold him in". When we got off he was comforting ME asking, "Are you OK mommy?"! On the contrast, my DS5 is deathly afraid of roller coasters and was even scared on Barnstormer! So he would have been terrified not getting to ride sitting next to me. As long as he's not the scared type, I think he would be just fine. Let him know ahead of time what to expect though.

On Space Mtn you can lean forward and reach around to hold onto your child in front of you a bit if they (or you!) need reassurance. Of course, you will feel like your neck is broken and your spine is twisted in four different directions by the time the ride is over, but it can be done. ;)

You can always try it once and just hope you don't traumatize them too much. Our youngest was 4 last trip, but just made the 44" for Space Mtn and Everest. They were his two favorite rides and he did each at least 10 times. My middle daughter is two years older (same height) and she didn't like them as much. (She's the one I was holding on to on Space Mtn) She only did Everest once and decided to try Space Mtn a second time on our last day.

My forearms were killing me after doing this the first time my DS rode SM! He loved it, though, and when DH rode with him, he didn't want/need any holding.

My younger DS will be tall enough for SM next month, but we're not going to take him on it. We will take him on EE, but I just don't feel comfortable with SM for him yet (and I don't think he really wants to ride it just yet).

Mine rode it as soon as their head stopped the bar! and I never even thought of holding onto them. I can't think of anything that would be more annoying than to have someone reaching from behind and holding onto my shoulders!

If they are tall enough to ride it they don't need held onto. SM is a very tame coaster, is actually like a wild mouse type ride.

I also agree with not putting fear into their minds before hand. all we ever said was it was dark so it would seem like you were in space and it was fast and fun.

Like others, I worried too & tried to touch my DD the whole time. But I'm short so I don't have a long arm span. And during the ride I "lost her" & thought she crying, I was franticly trying to reach her by throwing my body forward & reaching around to feel her. Long story short, she was fine & was LAUGHING, the whole time, me on the other hand, I had hurt my shoulder & back & unlodged my sunglasses (loosing them on the ride) trying to reach her. So I guess I would have to say your child will be fine, you might not be, :rotfl:

I mostly have to agree with the pps. My son was 4 when he rode SM for the first time. He laughed like crazy the entire time. I, on the other hand, nearly died of palpitations. I figured he'd be safe if he just sat there. My fear was that he'd try to lean out. He's a bit of an adventurer. ;) I did lean up and touch him a couple times, but he was fine. It still scares me when he rides alone or with his brother (on other coasters), but in all honesty he's probably safer that way because he and his brother are closer in size so they don't slide side-to-side as much. I say if your 5 y/o is excited about riding, it will be fine. As my mom said when people in line gave her stuff because my brother's first coaster was the Magnum at Cedar Point, "He'll either like them or he won't. Go big or go home." :woohoo:
Disclaimer: The situation is entirely different if your child is scared witless to get on a ride and you make him/her go anyway.

We leave for our trip soon and DD desperately wants to try SM. She turned 5 in Jan., but she is only 43" so I don't think she can. I am worried she will freak out anyway.

As my mom said when people in line gave her stuff because my brother's first coaster was the Magnum at Cedar Point, "He'll either like them or he won't. Go big or go home." :woohoo:

:thumbsup2 I like your Mom! I think we are cut out of the same cloth.

Just wondering if there were any parents out there were nervous about letting their kids ride SM for the first time considering that SM is different than the other coasters? With the other coasters your kid is sitting next to you and you feel a little better knowing that your holding onto him/her and comfort them if they feel nervous.

With SM, I'm worried that with my son sitting alone in a dark ride maybe too much for him. He loves rides and he's not the scared type but with this ride I just dont know!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

This is exactly how I feel! My DS will be tall enough for SM in November. I am very reluctant to let him ride. I really don't think he'll be ready for riding alone. Most likely I'll let him go on next year.

You know your child best. If you think he's not ready yet, then wait. Space isn't going anywhere, you can always try next time.

DD was horribly disappointed at 2.5 that she was too small to ride the big coasters. We spent several EMH hours just on Barnstormer to appease her. Went back to the world when she'd just turned 4 and she rode every ride she possibly could without any problems. Space Mountain and Expedition Everest were her favorites. As for Space Mountain, we put her between DH and I with DH in the back. He put his hand on her shoulder and she continually shrugged him off. After the ride she announced that she and I were going on again ALONE because Daddy wouldn't leaver her alone. So no worries after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter