• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spaced-Out Character Meal

Kricketnp

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip in September for our first time back since Covid and are still looking to be relatively Covid-cautious. This will be our first trip with our LO who will be turning 2 on the trip, and we'd like to possibly do a character meal. Wondering what might be our best option as far as feeling "safe," with the tables being spaced-out, people not constantly walking by, etc.

My experience (was there last in Feb. of this year) is that normal spacing is back. You won't find any place where folks aren't walking by to their tables or in/out of the facility to/from the restrooms or whatever. Same with not just the restaurants, but attractions & transportation. If you want 'space', WDW probably isn't the place to find it.

Having been there recently, and noting that things change very quickly regarding Covid caution these days - the one place that comes to mind that we liked was Chef Mickey's. The buffet part was closed and it was family style. I think that is currently the case, as well. And the characters walked through the restaurant and you could enjoy them from a slight distance. The tables are not spaced any longer, though. But overall, if you're Covid-cautious (like we were), make sure you have masks with you to use when things are close. We used them very seldom, but it was good to have them for the few times we felt we needed them.

We are planning a trip in September for our first time back since Covid and are still looking to be relatively Covid-cautious. This will be our first trip with our LO who will be turning 2 on the trip, and we'd like to possibly do a character meal. Wondering what might be our best option as far as feeling "safe," with the tables being spaced-out, people not constantly walking by, etc.

Thank you for asking this! I was wondering the same!

Having been there recently, and noting that things change very quickly regarding Covid caution these days - the one place that comes to mind that we liked was Chef Mickey's. The buffet part was closed and it was family style. I think that is currently the case, as well. And the characters walked through the restaurant and you could enjoy them from a slight distance. The tables are not spaced any longer, though. But overall, if you're Covid-cautious (like we were), make sure you have masks with you to use when things are close. We used them very seldom, but it was good to have them for the few times we felt we needed them.
This is something that worries us about eating there! We hope they keep the family style still for our trip next month! We were also thinking of asking for a table (vs booth) if possible and be willing to wait to try to avoid being seated “on top of” people. Not sure if that will actually work but we were trying to think of some mitigation factors and small things we could try.

This is something that worries us about eating there! We hope they keep the family style still for our trip next month! We were also thinking of asking for a table (vs booth) if possible and be willing to wait to try to avoid being seated “on top of” people. Not sure if that will actually work but we were trying to think of some mitigation factors and small things we could try.
We have found at Disney, it never hurts to ask!

My experience (was there last in Feb. of this year) is that normal spacing is back. You won't find any place where folks aren't walking by to their tables or in/out of the facility to/from the restrooms or whatever. Same with not just the restaurants, but attractions & transportation. If you want 'space', WDW probably isn't the place to find it.

Thanks - and we understand that! We are planning to mainly stick to outdoor dining, using our own car, etc, but were contemplating a character meal.

Interesting! I hadn't even considered there but good to know! We were considering a later breakfast at Topolino's because things look spaced out in photos, but hard to know without being there.

I'm glad we're not the only ones wondering this! We are definitely not into a buffet right now so the family style is appealing!

Thanks - and we understand that! We are planning to mainly stick to outdoor dining, using our own car, etc, but were contemplating a character meal.

Interesting! I hadn't even considered there but good to know! We were considering a later breakfast at Topolino's because things look spaced out in photos, but hard to know without being there.

I'm glad we're not the only ones wondering this! We are definitely not into a buffet right now so the family style is appealing!
We were also being cautious on our trip 2 weeks ago and did breakfast at topolino.

We were seated in a booth and I didn’t feel particularly close to any other tables. It was the only indoor reservation we had.

Not that spacing actually does anything with an airborne virus. But we seem to have made it back covid free

We were also being cautious on our trip 2 weeks ago and did breakfast at topolino.

We were seated in a booth and I didn’t feel particularly close to any other tables. It was the only indoor reservation we had.

Not that spacing actually does anything with an airborne virus. But we seem to have made it back covid free

Thanks! We were hoping if we weren't on top of others and only did one door indoor reservation that we could be on the safer side!

but even if you get spaced out seating to start they most likely fill in after you are seated. I do not remember any booths at Chef Mickey's. and people will be walking by your table as they are seated, moving to bathroom and leaving when they are finished even if food is family style

I was there a few weeks ago, and I can't think of any dining I would consider Covid spaced, except some of the outdoor seating quick service at non-peak times.

We went to Snow White at Artist Point, and it was a little more spaced out than a normal restaurant, because of the layout, but nowhere near Covid spacing.

Edit: We did eat Topolino's late dinner near closing time. That was surprisingly spaced out/empty. But maybe a little posh for a 2 year old LOL.

Last edited:
So, I get your concern but as far as personal space at WDW, that's nonexistent and has been for quite some time especially when it comes to dining. Crowds at the parks have been back in full swing for some time and there are no restaurants affording extra space unless you choose a QS/to go meal and eat outside or find a tucked away spot indoors that people don't know of.

I can't think of many character meals with a ton of spacing around tables. However, I'd say maybe topolinos at riviera since it's newer and feels more spacious as far as the overall footprint of the restaurant. But there are people up and about and really, outside of asking for a corner table or a table away from others........but there are booths too that are adjacent to other parties. It's just what Disney will and won't accommodate but never hurts to ask.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware but none of the attractions offer ample spacing either. It's back to "fill all available space while in line" and people all up in your personal space. Just an FYI so your heads up.

So, I get your concern but as far as personal space at WDW, that's nonexistent and has been for quite some time especially when it comes to dining. Crowds at the parks have been back in full swing for some time and there are no restaurants affording extra space unless you choose a QS/to go meal and eat outside or find a tucked away spot indoors that people don't know of.

I can't think of many character meals with a ton of spacing around tables. However, I'd say maybe topolinos at riviera since it's newer and feels more spacious as far as the overall footprint of the restaurant. But there are people up and about and really, outside of asking for a corner table or a table away from others........but there are booths too that are adjacent to other parties. It's just what Disney will and won't accommodate but never hurts to ask.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware but none of the attractions offer ample spacing either. It's back to "fill all available space while in line" and people all up in your personal space. Just an FYI so your heads up.

Thank you! Appreciate the honest feedback. We do understand that avoiding people will be impossible at WDW, and plan to just do the best we can. If it doesn't work out to do a character meal, we may skip it, but just wanted to gauge opinions.

I was thinking of maybe trying Topolino at the end of the breakfast seating (like 11:30) and hoping for the best.

Thank you! Appreciate the honest feedback. We do understand that avoiding people will be impossible at WDW, and plan to just do the best we can. If it doesn't work out to do a character meal, we may skip it, but just wanted to gauge opinions.

I was thinking of maybe trying Topolino at the end of the breakfast seating (like 11:30) and hoping for the best.
Just a note too, character meals are back to normal with the characters going from table to table to interact with guests, give hugs and take pictures etc. So, they are no longer socially distanced from the tables. As far as being spaced from other guests, we did both Topolino's breakfast and Chef Mickey's breakfast and Topolino's seemed to be more spaced out than Chef Mickeys.

We went to topilinos last year and were seated at a table in like an alcove with only one other party. If the table situation is the same even the main area you are not on top of one other.
Might I recommend a later seating, closest to lunch time? We did that (not on purpose) and as the meal went on the restaurant became deserted. When we finished it was just us and the staff so we were able to walk out without tripping over people walking in which is excellent with kids who are looking all around at everything except what's in front of them...nice feature regardless of health concerns.

My experience is 2+ months old at this time (practically ancient history) and we did tusker house breakfast and garden grill lunch. We also did CRT, but I wouldn't consider that to be "character dining" just yet.

Tusker House was still family style when we went, and the tables were pretty far apart, and it feels open and airy.

When we dined at Garden Grill, they were only seating on the lower level. Garden Grill has always been the lower key character dining, it's just not that big or doesn't feel big and because of how the booths on the lower level are positioned and the tables on the upper level (if they're in use), it doesn't feel like you're on top of people.

I can't imagine CRT as a full blown character experience, people are totally crammed in there as is. I can't envision princesses moving from table to table.

I would also say Garden Grill because of the table spacing, but then you're still upstream of that food court area which is massively crowded. I wasn't even worried about it and was uncomfortable with that crowd. And Garden Grill's food was a one and done for me.

I guess maybe if you get an early lunch seating, the rest of the place won't be full yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter