Spaceship Earth Closing Rumors Before October 3?

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking about taking a quick trip for the Halloween party and a day at Epcot for Food & Wine at the beginning of October. I love Spaceship Earth and will be disappointed if it's not running. I know there are rumors that it will be closed for an extended refurb and I would like to experience it again before that happens.

Anyone heard anything more concrete? Any dates associated with the rumors? I might book a room only reservation and wait to buy tickets/airfare closer to August just in case.

I have a gut feeling that at D23 they are going to announce Spaceship Earth closing in a month like they did in ‘17 with Movie Ride and Energy

I have a gut feeling that at D23 they are going to announce Spaceship Earth closing in a month like they did in ‘17 with Movie Ride and Energy
That will put it closing just before I arrive :( That's what I'm afraid of too.

I went to Epcot just to get my AP magnet and ride SSE, and SSE shut down 20 minutes before my FP and hadn’t come back up when I left. I was so upset I didn’t even use the FP somewhere else.

I will miss it when it goes down for a substantial refurb. It’s the only ride I always ride at Epcot.

While I will miss it during an extended refurb, I do think it could really benefit from one and the idea that they are going to make it a longer ride makes me happy as well.

I was t aware the ride was going to be longer. Im hoping to see it one more time the beginning of September and then will miss it. Its my favorite ride in Epcot and top three at Disney.

I know in February, you couldn't thank the Phoenicians.

They were missing. :(

I was t aware the ride was going to be longer. Im hoping to see it one more time the beginning of September and then will miss it. Its my favorite ride in Epcot and top three at Disney.
The rumors are they are making it longer and moving the load/unload areas along with removing the stuff in the exit.

Hard to tell when the rehab will start. I'm worried that it will be shortly after D23. I'm hoping not till after our October trip.

Hard to tell when the rehab will start. I'm worried that it will be shortly after D23. I'm hoping not till after our October trip.
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say either December 1st or after the holidays. The new night time show starts October 1st, they will need capacity in the park for at least a couple of months and if it doesn't go down by December 1st, they will most likely wait until after the holidays.

I could be wrong, but I would give it an 80% chance of me being right.

Hope it stays open until at least the beginning of October - I haven't been in 15 years and need to smell Rome burning one last time! (although I do already have the Magic Candle with that smell)

The rumors are they are making it longer and moving the load/unload areas along with removing the stuff in the exit.

I don't think it will be "longer" per se, but it will incorporate additional show scenes and include more on the way down. If they do combine the load/unload into one area, that can gain a little bit of ride time as well like it did with the Maelstrom to Frozen conversion, though I'm not sure what they could really put in the area.

I, for one, look forward to the Frozen II overlay of Spaceship Earth.

Welcome, our new pretend-Norwegian Overlords...

But really, if they are serious about the extended refurb, kudos to Dis, I love Spaceship Earth (it's my phone lock screen and I had a little SE decal for my magic band) but it could use it. A smoother track would be an excellent thing for this ride, and I think the existing scenes are great but some of the AAs need love (looking at you little paper boy), etc. And the journey back downward could use something besides what it is now, where they try to distract you with the goofy on-screen poor auto-crop job thing.

Welcome, our new pretend-Norwegian Overlords...

But really, if they are serious about the extended refurb, kudos to Dis, I love Spaceship Earth (it's my phone lock screen and I had a little SE decal for my magic band) but it could use it. A smoother track would be an excellent thing for this ride, and I think the existing scenes are great but some of the AAs need love (looking at you little paper boy), etc. And the journey back downward could use something besides what it is now, where they try to distract you with the goofy on-screen poor auto-crop job thing.

Yes, the descent is rough. I would like to go back to having some sort of actual scenes during the descent and get rid of those screens on the vehicles completely (although the times it makes me "twins" are kind of funny . . .).

I don't think it will be "longer" per se, but it will incorporate additional show scenes and include more on the way down. If they do combine the load/unload into one area, that can gain a little bit of ride time as well like it did with the Maelstrom to Frozen conversion, though I'm not sure what they could really put in the area.
No, the rumors have said about 10 minutes longer, extending the track somehow, not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter