spam

Alicenwonderment

DIS Veteran
Wow!! Looks like there is a lot of spam on the boards tonight. I saw it when I tried reading the new posts and a bunch of the posts looked like spam. I didn't want to click on them but not sure if we are supposed to report it to some one. It looks like there are 3 different accounts that were made today and placed spam on the boards. I wish I had the power to delete those posts.

Our trusty Mods and Admins/webmasters usually will delete it when they see it I think.
If you report the posts, they'll maybe see it quicker?

It's pretty good that we don't get a lot of spam around these parts! Makes life a bit better to not have to weed through it all

I've seen these in my email notifications for at least the last three or four days. There must be some way to stop them happening in the first place. Reporting after the fact is slow and doesn't actually solve the problem.

I've seen these in my email notifications for at least the last three or four days. There must be some way to stop them happening in the first place. Reporting after the fact is slow and doesn't actually solve the problem.

Every forum on the net has a problem with spam posts and although its annoying, its the way it is and unless some coding genius decides to help out the millions of forums all over the internet, we've just got to deal with it the usual way.

You can turn off email notifications when new threads are made. That might be a good option.

Spam happens on message forums all over the net. If you see one, report or ignore. We get to it relatively quickly, so much so that most DISers do not even see them.

I never said I knew exactly how to do it. I was simply pointing out a fact based on my experience. I've been on forums since there was an internet. All of them have spammer problems and some of them have been able to completely block them out. I don't know how their forum back ends looked or what programs/software ran the security so I don't know if their specific solutions would work. I can try to find out, though, if a moderator wants me to. I have friends who are computer security experts, and they may have some ideas. I can also poke moderators at forums that have dealt with spammers successfully and see what they did. I'd be happy to put my research skills to use here. Just let me know and I will be off :).

I know enough about computers to be dangerous. If its possible, I'd suggest trying to block user names, emails, or IP addresses. That last is less and less useful though due to the growth of dynamic IP. But its where I'd start. If the software allows it and if people have the time to do it. And those are big ifs, yes, and that's fine.

Computer security is one of those things you can never get completely right. A completely secure system is expensive, time consuming, and unusable. So, you want to get the most useful security you can for the most reasonable price (which is sometimes $0). And that means stuff like this happens sometimes, and that's the way it is. But, like I said, I would be willing to help figure out how to make it better, if that's helpful.

I never said I knew exactly how to do it. I was simply pointing out a fact based on my experience. I've been on forums since there was an internet. All of them have spammer problems and some of them have been able to completely block them out. I don't know how their forum back ends looked or what programs/software ran the security so I don't know if their specific solutions would work. I can try to find out, though, if a moderator wants me to. I have friends who are computer security experts, and they may have some ideas. I can also poke moderators at forums that have dealt with spammers successfully and see what they did. I'd be happy to put my research skills to use here. Just let me know and I will be off :).

I know enough about computers to be dangerous. If its possible, I'd suggest trying to block user names, emails, or IP addresses. That last is less and less useful though due to the growth of dynamic IP. But its where I'd start. If the software allows it and if people have the time to do it. And those are big ifs, yes, and that's fine.

Computer security is one of those things you can never get completely right. A completely secure system is expensive, time consuming, and unusable. So, you want to get the most useful security you can for the most reasonable price (which is sometimes $0). And that means stuff like this happens sometimes, and that's the way it is. But, like I said, I would be willing to help figure out how to make it better, if that's helpful.

Thank you for offering to help! :)

The webmasters have security systems and the like in place. They'd have to chime in on the specifics though. That's not my area of expertise.

As somebody who's been online since late '92 (not at one sitting though!) :rotfl2:, I have to say that compared to what I've seen out there, the TINY amount of stuff I VERY occasionally see here is amazing!! And the few times I've reported something, it's been gone EXTREMELY fast. Our "behind the scenes" folks here are DA BOMB!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter