• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Speaking of earthquakes...

TiggerCate

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know how earthquake proof Disneyland is? There are some rides (like Pirates) that I know I wouldn't want to be on during a major earthquake. I am assuming it is pretty able to withstand quakes because I've never heard of any damage to DL from them. Anyone experienced an earthquake while there?

Actually, Pirates might be kinda fun during an earthquake (so long as it's not too big).

So long as it's not a really big quake (meaning 6.0 and higher), I think the only thing I might worry about are the people who have never felt one before and might panic or something. Everything in DL and DCA is built to withstand and has withstood lots of quakes. Many of the rides would have to shut down for a while anyway so that they could perform safety checks, though. I've never actually felt one while at DL, but then, unless I'm sitting perfectly still, I don't feel most of the smaller ones anyway. If I'm walking I won't be aware of anything smaller than a 4.0 (and I think I've missed a few of those when moving around).

I don't notice them, either, really unless they are close to 5.0 or over. Anything higher than that, and I might get a bit nervous!! Pirates might not be as bad (thinking about it) than something that has tracks and is off the ground.

While nothing is ever earthquake proof, Disneyland will do everything it can to make buldings as safe as possible. As for your worry about POTC, the water isn't that deep AND the ride is never underground. The loading zone which is street level for New Orleans Square is actually like a second story level.

A friend and I flew into LA after the Northridge quake in January '94 for a cartoonist's convention. (MLK Monday) We spent Wednesday at DL. There were a few aftershocks but nothing felt 'unsafe', including the skyride which was later removed reportedly because they were afraid of what would happen during an earthquake.

At the hotel...several of us East Coast earlybirds were racing waterglasses accross tabletops to the aftershocks at 4 in the AM. :rotfl:

LeftCoaster said:
While nothing is ever earthquake proof, Disneyland will do everything it can to make buldings as safe as possible...
Actually, it's just not DL that will do everything to make it safe. A structural engineer told me that the building codes out here are pretty stringent where it needs to withstand a strong earthquake. Plus, they're continuously updated as needed.

lap3 said:
Actually, it's just not DL that will do everything to make it safe. A structural engineer told me that the building codes out here are pretty stringent where it needs to withstand a strong earthquake. Plus, they're continuously updated as needed.

Yes, that is accurate. I've always heard that California has the toughest building codes in the country. I do think that when possible, Disney tries to go above and beyond those codes. For example, the years long "rebuilding" of the Matterhorn. That was built using 1950's technology and upgraded in the 70's. THey've basically been internally rebuilding it for the past several years. This is a case where Disney didn't have to do a whole lot but chose to do more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter