Speaking of roaches

mco65

get busy living, or get busy dying!
Found a few (3 tops) in the camper back in Aug at the Fort. We were there for 2 weeks, never seen 'em before or since.
Of course, we haven't been back out. Was looking at a trip in Feb to Tybee but DW was demanding i fumigate the RV for roaches. I have checked often since returning in August and have yet to see anything. Any recommendations or secrets for fumigation or roach control?

Thanks!

I have never had this issue but I Googled it and they've suggested:

* baking soda (mix equal parts with ordinary table sugar, place it on a plate),
* boric acid (mix a combination of equal parts of boric acid, sugar and water to make a dough. Roll that dough into balls or cylinders and place them where roaches will find them.),
* citrus or peppermint spray (mix a few drops with water in a spray bottle and apply it anywhere they might expect roaches
* a few drops of lemon juice or mint oil to a bucket of water and mop floors and countertops with it

Good luck.

Last edited:
We've had them in the house in the past and I use a spray barrier. Now that's for the palmetto bugs (American roaches). German cockroaches, they're pretty tough to get rid of. My understanding is an exterminator is kind of necessary for them.
PS..
Re-read your original post and you said 3. I assume individual bugs. Sounds like the palmetto bugs. They don't do well inside. I'm guessing you're RV is clean.

PSS...I meant clean as in clear of bugs. Not "it has been cleaned". As in it was dirty.

Last edited:

We've had them in the house in the past and I use a spray barrier. Now that's for the palmetto bugs (American roaches). German cockroaches, they're pretty tough to get rid of. My understanding is an exterminator is kind of necessary for them.
PS..
Re-read your original post and you said 3. I assume individual bugs. Sounds like the palmetto bugs. They don't do well inside. I'm guessing you're RV is clean.

PSS...I meant clean as in clear of bugs. Not "it has been cleaned". As in it was dirty.

I typically spray a barrier every time we stop for a trip.
and yes, it was 3 total bugs. Found a few days apart.. i didn't really make much of it but DW is a bit weary of roaches.. I would expect to see a crap ton more if we had a true roast infestation.. i have seen hide nor hair of one since Aug and i have been checking frequently.

If they were big, like 1 inch plus. Those are palmetto bugs or here in alabama we call them wood roaches. Likely coming in to find water. Like Stratman50th said they don't do well indoors. I wouldn't be to concerned about those but in southern warm climates they will be outside and do come in. But the little German cockroaches are a different story, if you see 1 theres more.

We occasionally bomb house and RV for everything with RAID MAX (Dry Fogger) and use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth safe for pets and people

*Diatomaceous earth products are registered for use against bed bugs, cockroaches, crickets, fleas, ticks, spiders, and many other pests. There are thousands of non-pesticide products that contain diatomaceous earth*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter