Special meals on Delta flight from HNL?

rahwest

Earning My Ears
Happy Saturday!
I am wondering if anyone has requested a special meal on their Delta flight home from HNL recently?
We will be flying HNL - MSP, leaving at 5pm, so we get meal service. I am a vegetarian and we are flying with kids. So, I was thinking about requesting a vegetarian meal and at least one child's meal. Curious if anyone has any recent experience with doing this, and if you were glad that you did it.
Thanks!

Happy Saturday!
I am wondering if anyone has requested a special meal on their Delta flight home from HNL recently?
We will be flying HNL - MSP, leaving at 5pm, so we get meal service. I am a vegetarian and we are flying with kids. So, I was thinking about requesting a vegetarian meal and at least one child's meal. Curious if anyone has any recent experience with doing this, and if you were glad that you did it.
Thanks!

If you require a special meal, you should definitely request one by going into your reservation and clicking on the one you want. I fly Delta almost exclusively, but have never ordered a special meal. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to have one for my lactose intolerance—I wish they did. I usually just wind up taking my Lactaid because everything has dairy in it. If I remember correctly, in coach they usually have two meals— chicken and either pasta or something with salad. However, depending on where you sit on the plane, they may only have one option when they get to you.

Yes, Delta does offer special meals. You can either call them or do it on line.

Yep! Just flew HNL to ATL last week and requested Vegetarian! There were lots of variations to choose from. I chose Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, though the meal they gave me was Vegan.

I would request the meal. We recently flew to and from HNL on Delta in coach. On both flights the veggie option was gone by the time they got to us. The only other options had meat in them or was a fruit/nut/cheese plate.

The veggie option on our flight was a cheese ravioli. I opted for that and it was pretty good. I agree with PP that you should request it if its a must for you because they did run out of certain options by the time they made it to us, and we were in the third row of coach.

Definitely do it before you get to airport!!
In Europe it was to late to change to a kids meal for my DD, when we got to airport. I didn’t know this was an option.
Kerri

The Disboards equivalent for airline knowledge is flyertalk.com.

This thread should answer all your questions.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/del...d-service-definitive-thread-2018-edition.html

An excerpt from the thread:
7. SPECIAL MEALS:
Delta offers special meals for a variety of dietary restrictions on all flights in all cabins with complimentary meal service. Special meal service is not offered for domestic flights that only offer snack or refreshment service.
To know if Delta considers what you are being served a meal, check the "meal service" in your reservation or on the booking page while purchasing a ticket. It needs to read "breakfast", "lunch" or "dinner" for this to be a meal service that you can order a special meal for. If it reads "snack" or "refreshments" there will not be special meals available.
You can select special meals by viewing your reservation online or by calling Delta.

-Special meals are not available on flights departing ABQ, ELP, or TUS.
-Special meals are not available on Delta Connection flights.
-The same meal may be served across multiple categories (i.e. the same physical meal may be served for Bland/Diabetic/Low Fat/Low Sodium/Vegetarian).
-Please note that mistakes are widely reported. Confirm your meal request with a gate agent and flight attendant. Passengers with special dietary needs are strongly advised to bring their own snacks in case a catering error occurs.

Sample Special Meals

Meal descriptions are Delta's words. Your Meals May Vary.
• Asian Vegetarian Meal (code AVML) - This is a non‐strict vegetarian meal which is prepared in an Indian style and is usually spicy. No meat, seafood or egg is allowed. This meal may include dairy products.
• Baby Meal (code BBML) - Baby food usually boarded in portion jars. (May contain strained fruit, vegetables, meats, desserts, milk & juices.)
• Bland Meal (code BLML) - For those with digestive tract and stomach disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty foods.
• Child Meal (code CHML) - Available for children from 2-12 years of age, and includes food offerings which appeal to children. The meals planned follow Recommended Dietary Allowances for children.
• Diabetic Meal (code DBML) - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are high in sugars. ( Avoid syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically designed for diabetics.)
• Gluten Free Meal (code GFML) - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products. (Allergy related)
• Hindu Meal (code HNML) - Spicy vegetarian combinations with limited use of dairy products. While our meals are meat‐free, some individuals with this diet consume meats of non‐beef/veal/pork origin.
• Japanese Meal (code JPML) - Traditional Multi Course Kaiseki Style Japanese Meal accompanied by steamed rice, miso soup, Japanese pickles and green tea. Available only to D1 customers flying between the USA/Hawaii-Japan.
• Kosher (code KSML) - Kosher meals are prepared by Kosher caterers under Rabbinical supervision and may also incorporate fresh fruit or sealed items, such as individually packaged bagels that meet Kosher laws. Special Kosher for Passover meals are supplied during Passover.
• Regal Kosher (code KSML) - Strict Kosher meals prepared by "Regal" kashrut supervision and may also incorporate fresh fruit or sealed items, such as individually packaged bagels that meet Kosher laws. Special Kosher for Passover meals are supplied during Passover. Only served on JFK-TLV, all cabins.
• Low Fat/Low Cholesterol/Low Calorie Meal (code LFML) - High fiber meal with reduced amounts of fat and sugar.
• Low Sodium Meal (code LSML) - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavor the meal.
• Muslim Meal (code MOML) - Does not contain pork, by‐products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
• Toddler Meal (code TDML) - Available for children who have begun consuming solid food who need little assistance from the parent, soft, easy‐to‐eat finger foods.
• Vegetarian (Vegan) Meal (code VGML) - Typically cooked in Western style, this meal does not contain meat, seafood, egg and dairy products.
• Vegetarian (Lacto-Ovo) Meal (code VLML) - Prepared in Western style, this is a non‐strict vegetarian meal which can include eggs and dairy products but eliminates all meats and seafood.
• Korean Meal (code KRML) - Korean style Bibimbap with steamed rice, gochujang sauce and sesame oil accompanied by soup, salad and banchan. Available only to D1 customers flying between the USA-Korea.
• Chinese Meal (code CNML) - Components include soup, salad and entrée and feature regional flavors on flights departing China. Available only to D1 customers flying between the USA-China.

The Disboards equivalent for airline knowledge is flyertalk.com.

This thread should answer all your questions.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/del...d-service-definitive-thread-2018-edition.html

An excerpt from the thread:
7. SPECIAL MEALS:
Delta offers special meals for a variety of dietary restrictions on all flights in all cabins with complimentary meal service. Special meal service is not offered for domestic flights that only offer snack or refreshment service.
To know if Delta considers what you are being served a meal, check the "meal service" in your reservation or on the booking page while purchasing a ticket. It needs to read "breakfast", "lunch" or "dinner" for this to be a meal service that you can order a special meal for. If it reads "snack" or "refreshments" there will not be special meals available.
You can select special meals by viewing your reservation online or by calling Delta.

-Special meals are not available on flights departing ABQ, ELP, or TUS.
-Special meals are not available on Delta Connection flights.
-The same meal may be served across multiple categories (i.e. the same physical meal may be served for Bland/Diabetic/Low Fat/Low Sodium/Vegetarian).
-Please note that mistakes are widely reported. Confirm your meal request with a gate agent and flight attendant. Passengers with special dietary needs are strongly advised to bring their own snacks in case a catering error occurs.

Sample Special Meals

Meal descriptions are Delta's words. Your Meals May Vary.
• Asian Vegetarian Meal (code AVML) - This is a non‐strict vegetarian meal which is prepared in an Indian style and is usually spicy. No meat, seafood or egg is allowed. This meal may include dairy products.
• Baby Meal (code BBML) - Baby food usually boarded in portion jars. (May contain strained fruit, vegetables, meats, desserts, milk & juices.)
• Bland Meal (code BLML) - For those with digestive tract and stomach disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty foods.
• Child Meal (code CHML) - Available for children from 2-12 years of age, and includes food offerings which appeal to children. The meals planned follow Recommended Dietary Allowances for children.
• Diabetic Meal (code DBML) - For those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are high in sugars. ( Avoid syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically designed for diabetics.)
• Gluten Free Meal (code GFML) - Foods excluded are wheat or wheat flour, barley oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products. (Allergy related)
• Hindu Meal (code HNML) - Spicy vegetarian combinations with limited use of dairy products. While our meals are meat‐free, some individuals with this diet consume meats of non‐beef/veal/pork origin.
• Japanese Meal (code JPML) - Traditional Multi Course Kaiseki Style Japanese Meal accompanied by steamed rice, miso soup, Japanese pickles and green tea. Available only to D1 customers flying between the USA/Hawaii-Japan.
• Kosher (code KSML) - Kosher meals are prepared by Kosher caterers under Rabbinical supervision and may also incorporate fresh fruit or sealed items, such as individually packaged bagels that meet Kosher laws. Special Kosher for Passover meals are supplied during Passover.
• Regal Kosher (code KSML) - Strict Kosher meals prepared by "Regal" kashrut supervision and may also incorporate fresh fruit or sealed items, such as individually packaged bagels that meet Kosher laws. Special Kosher for Passover meals are supplied during Passover. Only served on JFK-TLV, all cabins.
• Low Fat/Low Cholesterol/Low Calorie Meal (code LFML) - High fiber meal with reduced amounts of fat and sugar.
• Low Sodium Meal (code LSML) - Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder, instead herbs and spices are used to flavor the meal.
• Muslim Meal (code MOML) - Does not contain pork, by‐products of pork or foodstuffs containing alcohol. All meats come from ritually slaughtered animals.
• Toddler Meal (code TDML) - Available for children who have begun consuming solid food who need little assistance from the parent, soft, easy‐to‐eat finger foods.
• Vegetarian (Vegan) Meal (code VGML) - Typically cooked in Western style, this meal does not contain meat, seafood, egg and dairy products.
• Vegetarian (Lacto-Ovo) Meal (code VLML) - Prepared in Western style, this is a non‐strict vegetarian meal which can include eggs and dairy products but eliminates all meats and seafood.
• Korean Meal (code KRML) - Korean style Bibimbap with steamed rice, gochujang sauce and sesame oil accompanied by soup, salad and banchan. Available only to D1 customers flying between the USA-Korea.
• Chinese Meal (code CNML) - Components include soup, salad and entrée and feature regional flavors on flights departing China. Available only to D1 customers flying between the USA-China.

Very interesting! This makes sense now. When I asked for the Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo, my meal didn't just meet those requirements but also Vegan, probably low sodium, and bland (though it is airplane food, so bland probably covers most!). It must be easier to have one option that actually covers a lot of the categories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter