"special needs" access???

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
I have posted some questions about the special needs of my son a few times and have gotten some good and helpful info. I am hoping to get some more.....

My son (6) broke his leg and is currently recovering from the muscle weakness associated with the "after" stage of this. We got some good advise and have decided that a wheel chair may be too large for him and because of his small size may be more comfortable in a stroller for our trip to WDW next month.

I have heard mentioned on the boards about "special needs" access to attractions at WDW. Do most/all rides/shows/attractions have this? How do the CM's determine who they should allow in these lines and who they should ask to use the regular lines? I am concerned that my son (who when sitting still in his stroller can not be identified as someone who would legitametly need this special access - but once they poor guy tries to walk it is very evident that he is greatly impaired) might not get to use this needed service. Is it possible to get some sort of "pass" or authorization at the front gate (possibly when we rent the stroller) that would identify him as being able to access these lines?

The last thing i want is to have those who are standing in a long line question the validity of my son using this service. Trust me we have stood in our fair share of lines and will happily do so again when my son has fully recovered.

thanks - lori

Lori,
Go to Guest Services and get a Guest Assistance Card for your son. Explain the problem and that you need to use the stroller as a wheelchair for your son. They will issue the card and it will be valid for the duration of your stay. It will also indicate the number in your party so the castmembers at the ride know up to how many to allow to stay with you and your son.
Have fun.

thank you so much for the info. Once again you have been so very helpfull.

I'll give everyone a shout and a small trip report when we get back.

- lori

If teri doesn't respond to the question, look for one of her posts. She has some FAQs about Guest Assistance Cards that will answer any questions you might have.
lisapooh listed the basics and if that's all you know before you go, that will be enough to get the help you need. The only things I would add are that the same card is valid at all the parks; you don't need to get a new card for each park. You also don't need any written documentation to show that you need the card. The CM in Guest Services will ask you a few questions to determine what your needs are.
You might also want to think about renting a stroller off site instead of at the parks. I don't have my sticky notes with that info right here, but it might be better than using up his energy getting into the parks. If you do that, you would also have the stroller availble at your resort and if you go to DD or other places where they don't rent strollers.

somebody mention my name? :)

click on the link in my signature, you will find the information about the GAC.

You might inquire about a child size wheelchar, which would usually follow waiting lines better than a stroller with its handle sticking out back.

One of the purposes of special access entrances is to get wheelchairs up close to the ride vehicles. Try going through the regular line with the stroller, if it can't go around the bends, you have a right to use the special access entrance. If you wish, explain to the cast member that your son is willing to wait in line but sitting instead of standing.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp planned
*no longer exists

most of the lines are now Mainstream access, which means that wheelchairs and ecvs are in the same lines as everyone else. In those lines, a stroller won't be a problem at all. An average size adult wheelchair needs 5 feet to turn and the lines have been changed to accomidate that. We have been in those lines with DD's small adult size wheelchair with no problem (except for people who cut us off at turns because they don't understand that we are trying to keep some free space for turning). A wheelchair is a little easier to push than a stroller because of the size of the wheels. Also, wheelchairs have front swiveling wheels to make turns easier. Not all strollers do. The other advantage to using a wheelchair is that the child would sit higher.
If you have a GAC that allows you to use your stroller as a wheelchair, you will have no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter