Spectacular September - September 2022 W.I.S.H. Thread

Oneanne

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the September 2022 W.I.S.H. (We are inspired To Stay Healthy) thread.
What can we each do to make September a spectacularly healthy month?

1662045131136.png

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY

TOPIC TUESDAY
WOOHOO WEDNESDAY
THANKFUL THURSDAY

FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY
SOCIAL SATURDAY

SELF-CARE SUNDAY

9.4 - 9.10... OneAnne

9.11 - 9.17...
9.18 - 9.24... PollyannaMom

9.25 - 10.1... Summer2018

Last edited:

Intro:
I'm Summer, 57.
I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside NYC.
Living with...DH 63 & DD 24.
Kindergarten Teacher in an inner city public school.
Favorite place...Seashore.
Hobbies...Art, swimming, reading, singing.

September 2022 Goals...Get back on track and lose weight using NOOM, 26 down, 56 to go; walk & swim daily; forgive my missteps, learn from my mistakes, be flexible, and handle stress better; keep my eye on the prize; and BELIEVE IN MYSELF!

I was absent from posting this week because kids started on Monday and I put in about 9-10 hours in school every day, came home, showered, made dinner, ran the dishwasher, and was in bed by 8:30 every night. I didn’t have a moment to myself. There were times that I forgot to eat and didn’t realize it until I got sick to my stomach.

We have new devices which is a shame because I had an excellent desktop with a new hard drive and an old Mac that worked better than the cheap replacement laptop the district bought everyone. This piece of junk is the size of an iPad with a docking station that doesn’t work. So I have been teaching old school entirely without technology. I.T. hasn’t been able to get it to work and even though they are supposedly coming back, God only knows when.

Most of my students are darling, but I do have some with behavioral issues, one of which is quite severe and dangerous. The majority do not speak English, and even though I know that they will pick it up, it’s so hard in the beginning.

I know that everything will fall into place. My way of dealing with it all is controlling what is within my control and trying to let go of the rest. I bring a lot of work home, do the majority of my printing (copy machines at school don’t work), and basically do everything that I don’t have time to do or the technology necessary to do in school. I was in school mostly alone one week before teachers started. I came early and stayed late last week during trainings (which are a complete waste of time), and continued that this week in severe heat and bad air quality (A/C isn’t working). I still feel behind.

I will try to post next week, but if I am MIA again, you know why.

Enjoy the weekend. I am definitely going in the pool.

My September Healthy Goals:

1. -5 pounds
2. 600 minutes of exercise (tracking in the DisneyFit Exercise thread), including continuing to do my You Tube Yoga daily
3. Try two new recipes
4. Read at least one book

My motivation for this week is to fully take advantage of being up in Port Townsend for the three days and get out and walk two times per day - once for a pre-work walk and then again in the evening.

Happy September!!! It’s so crazy to think fall is quickly approaching!!

Goals for September:

Less cheat days-I am going to make my goal only one for September! I completely sabotaged all my healthy eating days in August with special days at amusement parks, picnics, birthdays…but it was worth it because summer only comes once a year ☺️

Walking-I am doing great with my 4xs a week strength training/cardio on YouTube but walking is so good for me and the dogs I need to be doing it everyday!

Motivation for today-we are hosting a new foster starting Thursday. A sweet senior who has been stuck in the shelter for years due to some circumstances outside of anyones control. This will be a hospice foster which we have never done before. We all have some reservations about it, however those are all about our feelings not what is best for the dog, which is what we need to think about. I need to get everything ready for him and move some furniture around so I can accommodate a crate near the back door to minimize walking for him.

I hope everyone has the best Monday and enjoys their day off!!

I did not eat healthy this weekend, but I did do lots of yardwork for my parents! Ibuprofen is my new BFF! We'd been home about twenty minutes when my mom texted to see if we remembered the two boxes of fruit we bought straight from the farmer on Saturday. Nope. They're in their shop, two hours away. The plan is they're putting all the peaches in their fridge, the pears were very green so hopefully will be fine. We'll be up again Friday or Saturday so can get them then. 🤞

TOPIC TUESDAY:

The Power of Reading

1662430419674.png

Did you know that reading regularly will improve your focus, memory, empathy and communication skills. It can help to reduce stress, improve your mental health and even help you to live longer. It exercises your brain and makes new neurological connections, and is a satisfying form of entertainment that can help you to learn new things.

Are you a reader? Do you have a favorite genre, a favorite book or books, and how about a favorite author? Are you currently reading something, or have some recommendations?

Answering early so I can pack up my desk stuff to head out in the morning.

I read off-and-on, the past few years it has been more off than on even tho I continue to buy books on a regular basis.. I did read two of said purchased books in August and I could really feel my brain working differently. I thought it was going to be the start of another period of heavy reading, but have gone several weeks without starting another book, which is why I made reading at least one book in September a goal. I'm hoping that the transition to shorter days and snuggle weather will get me going.

I'd have to say my favorite author right now is Katherine May. Her books 'Wintering' and 'The Electricity of Everything Living Thing" are what lead me to my ADHD diagnosis. When I first read her I remember thinking "omg we could be best friends", because the way she wrote really resonated with me. I've taken an online workshop with her, which I consider one of the magical ways the internet can connect us. She has another book coming out in the Spring called 'Enchantment' which I am really looking forward to.

I love reading!! And that graphic is adorable!

I tend to have multiple books going at once - at least one useful and one for entertainment at any given time. My nonfiction book right now is on photography, and the last few fiction books I read from the library were a couple of Agatha Raisin mysteries and Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson. - That one is a YA book I saw recommended on Instagram, and I really enjoyed it!

Lately, I've been on an audiobook kick. I have the Harry Potter series to fall asleep to (because I adore them and because I've read them all before, so it doesn't matter that I miss large chunks when I set the sleep timer :laughing:) and one called Music is History that I've been listening to bits of in the car or sometimes while doing chores.

The books I recommend to people most often are probably:
The Power of When, by Michael Breus, and Atomic Habits, by James Clear.

I really enjoy reading but have not had a chance to read as much lately.
DS 10 is into harry potter so I've been reading those with him. It's amazing what I missed the first go around!
Not so long ago I read Tina Fey's Bossy Pants which was a fun, easy read.
One of my favorite authors over the last few years has been Christopher Moore. His book LAMB is amazing and I read it every few years around Easter. Be warned he throws 4 letter words around like confetti but he is an heck of a storyteller.
I am plugging away at THE COLOR OF MAGIC the first book in the Discworld series. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I started it because adored GOOD OMENS. I'll get through this book but may not continue with the series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter