Spectrum & Disney

Thanks to Satellite, cable ops HAVEN'T had monopolies in 15-20 years

We had Dish network for 20 years and never paid over $100.
I just received a Dish promotional offer in the mail Saturday. We used to have the 250 channel package and with the taxes and fees it had crept up to $97 and change, so I dumped it in spring 2021. The promotional offer, with a three year rate guarantee, is $109 before taxes and fees for the same package. I could save a little by getting the 200 channel package, but any lower package does not have the channels I watched. I threw the offer in the trash.

It took me a month or so to get used to using an antenna after dumping the satellite, but for over $100 a month I will do it. I can get Tampa and Orlando channels where I live, so it’s not too bad.

I just received a Dish promotional offer in the mail Saturday. We used to have the 250 channel package and with the taxes and fees it had crept up to $97 and change, so I dumped it in spring 2021. The promotional offer, with a three year rate guarantee, is $109 before taxes and fees for the same package. I could save a little by getting the 200 channel package, but any lower package does not have the channels I watched. I threw the offer in the trash.

It took me a month or so to get used to using an antenna after dumping the satellite, but for over $100 a month I will do it. I can get Tampa and Orlando channels where I live, so it’s not too bad.
I believe you can save $12/month with Dish by not subscribing to your locals and just using the antenna for OTA.

Satellite/Cable is good if you want/need the sports channels, movie channels, etc.

Which antenna do you use? The one I have doesn’t work and the reviews on a lot of ones on Amazon are bad.

Which antenna do you use? The one I have doesn’t work and the reviews on a lot of ones on Amazon are bad.
I don’t know for sure. It’s an exterior antenna that my dad mounted in the attic space above the garage. Our HOA doesn’t allow exterior tv antennas or satellite dishes visible from the street. It’s been up there since my parents moved in about 30 years ago (my sister and I own the house now) because at that time there were no options for cable or satellite in the area. He actually put two of them up there, one pointed toward Tampa and the other pointed toward Orlando, then the wiring is combined together, and every room has an connection outlet hardwired in. The setup works pretty well. When we had Dish, we had to have a switch on each tv to manually choose between the antenna (local) and the dish.

It really doesn't matter what kind someone else uses unless they're your neighbor. There are too many variables.

If you want to choose a proper antenna that works for you, go to tvfool.com or antennaweb.org and put in your address.

You'll get a chart that show what kind of antenna will work for you (VHF vs UHF vs Combo, Exterior vs Interior), THEN you can go "shopping".

When you do shop, ignore the words "Digital" in regards to antenna. An antenna is an antenna is an antenna.

Any range they give you (ex: "up to 150 miles!") immediately cut in half. Probably cut in half again if you're mounting it inside.

I FINALLY got mine set up again last night. I needed a signal splitter so I could attach my cable and the over-the-air antenna. I didn't want one that hung in the window. I got one from Amazon that had great reviews, is an interior one that sits on a bookshelf and has rabbit ears too. Plus it can be plugged in if I need to boost the signal, but I haven't tried that. My antenna has a clear shot to the transmitters on top of the Empire State Building for ABC, NBC & CBS. Yet, I found out last night that moving the antenna just 2 inches makes a difference in the amount of channels I get from peripheral stations in Long Island and NJ.

Try moving the antenna you have to different locations.

The one time I was actually diagnosed with the flu, I had some congestion and a slight sore throat. I only got tested because we were going on an international trip a week or so later.

The only time I was diagnosed with covid, I had some congestion and a slight sore throat.

So yes, FOR ME, Covid was VERY much like the flu.

The one time I was actually diagnosed with the flu, I had some congestion and a slight sore throat. I only got tested because we were going on an international trip a week or so later.

The only time I was diagnosed with covid, I had some congestion and a slight sore throat.

So yes, FOR ME, Covid was VERY much like the flu.
Can we find your cable TV post in the Covid thread? ;)

If you want to choose a proper antenna that works for you, go to tvfool.com or antennaweb.org and put in your address.

You'll get a chart that show what kind of antenna will work for you (VHF vs UHF vs Combo, Exterior vs Interior), THEN you can go "shopping".

When you do shop, ignore the words "Digital" in regards to antenna. An antenna is an antenna is an antenna.

Any range they give you (ex: "up to 150 miles!") immediately cut in half. Probably cut in half again if you're mounting it inside.

::yes:: I used those websites before picking my antenna. And I also looked at reviews from people in my area. (In the Amazon search right before the reviews of a specific product I input my city.)

...Our HOA doesn’t allow exterior tv antennas or satellite dishes visible from the street....
Pretty sure those types of rules were all tossed out with the updated rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000). Since 1996 they have made it clearer and clearer after several amendments, that if you own the property an HOA or even a City can not prevent you from installing an antenna. A few years back a neighbor needed to put it on the front of his house and our HOA had a tizzi fit over it, but upon legal counsel they had to get over it.

Pretty sure those types of rules were all tossed out with the updated rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000). Since 1996 they have made it clearer and clearer after several amendments, that if you own the property an HOA or even a City can not prevent you from installing an antenna. A few years back a neighbor needed to put it on the front of his house and our HOA had a tizzi fit over it, but upon legal counsel they had to get over it.
This is true. You can tell the HOA to "pound sand". The exception would be if you want to put an antenna in a "common use" area (think a courtyard if you're in a townhouse). Then you can't.

Quote from Charter CEO.

“If you had an environment where we no longer carry Disney content — which is becoming more and more of a potential reality — you have to say, well, what other additional sports content would you renew? At that point, there’s very little, so you’d have a smaller base of customers, but you’d have a smaller package with a much better price,” Winfrey said. “And it would be a package of general entertainment content that customers actually wanted, watched and valued, and it would stick and it could actually grow from that point.

Then I would add this as another reason there shouldn't be government decided monopolies. Sports content is the primary driver for cable subscriptions at this point. If Charter/Spectrum refuses to do that, I should be able to choose Comcast that does. Not having an option to watch Monday Night Football, the US Open or a multitude of other things is not very good for the consumer either. ESPN should let everyone that has ESPN+ watch the live events broadcast on ESPN Networks, at least those of us in Charter/Spectrum areas.

Then I would add this as another reason there shouldn't be government decided monopolies. Sports content is the primary driver for cable subscriptions at this point. If Charter/Spectrum refuses to do that, I should be able to choose Comcast that does. Not having an option to watch Monday Night Football, the US Open or a multitude of other things is not very good for the consumer either. ESPN should let everyone that has ESPN+ watch the live events broadcast on ESPN Networks, at least those of us in Charter/Spectrum areas.

Agree! Especially with the bolded. Right now we’re paying Spectrum for Disney & ESPN content, plus paying Disney for Disney+ & ESPN+ and not getting access to most of Disney & ESPN content. At least my area hasn’t lost ABC, but there‘s nothing we watch on ABC anyway.

But there are other options.... Dish, Direct, YoutubeTV, Hulu live, Sling, and other streaming services.

At least my area hasn’t lost ABC, but there‘s nothing we watch on ABC anyway.

ABC is the channel I watch mostly. :( Especially on a local level. I was really out of sorts when I couldn't watch my local news for a few days, until I got my antenna hooked up. I don't like the news anchors or the weather people on the other channels. So, this is a real deal-breaker for me. The few primetime shows I watch on ABC, I have no interest in buying yet another gadget just to DVR them. :badpc:

Spectrum sent an email for a free 7-day FUBO trial, plus about $20-$30 off depending on the tier, their regular prices for two months.

Make sure you sign up through this link. On Reddit, people have been reporting this same offer is floating around without the 7-Days free for Spectrum members.

For a limited time, try FUBO FOR FREE. Visit FUBOTV.COM/OFFER for more details.​

I may do it just to get the free week and discounted months, then do the free trials for the other streaming companies until I land on one I like. :headache: (I'm not big into sports.)

Spectrum sent an email for a free 7-day FUBO trial, plus about $20-$30 off depending on the tier, their regular prices for two months.

Make sure you sign up through this link. On Reddit, people have been reporting this same offer is floating around without the 7-Days free for Spectrum members.

For a limited time, try FUBO FOR FREE. Visit FUBOTV.COM/OFFER for more details.​

I may do it just to get the free week and discounted months, then do the free trials for the other streaming companies until I land on one I like. :headache: (I'm not big into sports.)
My dh told me about that yesterday. Are FUBO and Spectrum connected somehow? I'm trying to figure out why they would advertise another company. - Won't a lot of Spectrum customers just switch (cancel spectrum and go with fubo?)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter