Spending money?

TheCakePopLady

Mouseketeer
I know this depends on the person etc. but tell me your experience.

We are going to WDW early Jan. It is me and my two kids (11 and 6 year old girls) and my best friend (but she is paying for herself).

We are staying at the GF for 6 days. We have Hopper tickets and Dining plan.

I work a lot and this vacation is so much for the kids. It’s our first time at WDW and i want them to have the entire experience. My kids deserve it so much!

How much spending money do you think I’ll need for a week based on the fact that everything has been paid for. Money will be for souviners and little knick knacks i guess. I just want to be prepared.

Thank you!

I personally would budget about $500 for souvenirs if I were you, doing a much-anticipated, first-time trip. That will allow you to buy some articles of clothing, photo frames & goodies for the kids. I'm assuming you've already pre-paid a photo package.

Yes we did the memory maker.

I have $1000 put away for spending money. You think that is enough for a week? I have no clue lol. I know things add up.

Oh and also my kids are doing the BBB make overs so that’s about $150 (just hair and make up for both).

I think it really depends upon your family value system. Some families buy lots of stuff, some don't.

Given you can afford GF in the first place - I think you should assume no less than $50 each for souvenirs. As a first trip - the amount of merchandise choices is going to be OVERWHELMING to everyone - so you may need to take the attitude of browse first - buy later to stay on this end of the spectrum.

However - there may also be little "food and drink" purchases that might not be on the dining plan. It's a bit scary for me how much bottled water I buy at Disney......

Sp - my guess - somewhere between $200-$500 dollars as a minumum. Now - in a week - on a first time trip - you could easily spend a lot more than that - $1000 perhaps?

Don’t forget about tips for the dining plan. That would likely be $200-$300 depending on where you’re eating. I would say your $1000 will be plenty, including tips and BBB. I would say $50-$100 each for souvenirs. We usually do less - not big on souvenirs.

I think it really depends upon your family value system. Some families buy lots of stuff, some don't.

Given you can afford GF in the first place - I think you should assume no less than $50 each for souvenirs. As a first trip - the amount of merchandise choices is going to be OVERWHELMING to everyone - so you may need to take the attitude of browse first - buy later to stay on this end of the spectrum.

However - there may also be little "food and drink" purchases that might not be on the dining plan. It's a bit scary for me how much bottled water I buy at Disney......

Sp - my guess - somewhere between $200-$500 dollars as a minumum. Now - in a week - on a first time trip - you could easily spend a lot more than that - $1000 perhaps?

I very much agree with this. It's great that you've got the resources to stay at the GF. I couldn't dream of staying there. Exactly as kwdw said, the merchandise choices are endless and in your face all the time. My suggestion is to not buy much the first day or two, otherwise you're overwhelmed with impulse buying and will blow your budget. Sure, buy some ice cream or something like that, but don't buy anything "big". Soak it in, look around, window shop. Then later in the trip, go ahead and buy the souvenirs you really want. That may help keep the costs down some. I would think $1000 should be plenty, more than plenty.

Above all, have a WONDERFUL time. Glad to hear how excited you are for your first trip! It's awesome. You'll be a deer in headlights, and that's a good thing. Soak it all in. Enjoy it, don't rush things. Don't worry about feeling you need to spend money either. You can have a great time with or without spending. Even just buying a $4 Mickey head ice cream bar is something the kids may think is magical.

Thank you so much!

I can’t afford the GF lmao. My best friend paid for the hotel portion (she loves GF and insisted on us staying there and offered to pay for our room). I own my own small business and it’s a miracle that i can even afford to go for a week. This is a special treat for my kids i have been saving a long time for (i paid for the hopper tickets, dining plan and airfare). I can’t wait. I get so emotional thinking about it.

So while yes i want to go all out for my kids, money isn’t falling out of a tree for me. I have $1000 saved for extras and I’m praying it’s enough. I am a natural worry wart so it’s no surprise that I’m already freaking out about this lol

Thank you so much!

I can’t afford the GF lmao. My best friend paid for the hotel portion (she loves GF and insisted on us staying there and offered to pay for our room). I own my own small business and it’s a miracle that i can even afford to go for a week. This is a special treat for my kids i have been saving a long time for (i paid for the hopper tickets, dining plan and airfare). I can’t wait. I get so emotional thinking about it.

So while yes i want to go all out for my kids, money isn’t falling out of a tree for me. I have $1000 saved for extras and I’m praying it’s enough. I am a natural worry wart so it’s no surprise that I’m already freaking out about this lol

Wow, that's one awesome friend you've got! Do they need another friend? :D LOL. Seriously, that's fabulous! Then if money is tight for you, and trust me, most of us here fully understand that, don't at all sweat how much you spent in knick knacks. I'm serious...those aren't the things your daughters will remember as much as the experiences. To borrow a phrase, "stop and smell the roses" while you're there. Don't try to rush from thing to thing to thing and see/do it all. You simply can't. Fully enjoy the things you're doing and make them memorable. Since you have Memorymaker, stop and get a ton of photos done. And for spending money, really, sometimes the small things make a big difference. There are giant balloons they sell on Main St in MK...they're like $20. Get one...get two if you want. Stop in Goofy's Candyshop, again on Main St in MK. Let your girls pick a $10 dessert snack. Those will be things they never forget. Souvenirs are nice, and you should definitely plan for them, so don't misunderstand me. Just my point is don't worry so much about those things. Let that happen as it does...and again I suggest shopping for them a few days into the trip, in order to help ease the rush. But just enjoy the trip itself.

When we stayed onsite, did the DDP, hopper tickets and all that we just charged to our room and tried not to think about it too much. We didn't go nuts either. Our kids were the same age as your girls. At the end of our 7 nights our bill was around $620 and we spent about $100 in cash. That included tips, BBB, pirate cruise, souvenirs and any little extras. I think you will be perfectly fine with 1,000.

My rule of thumb has always been between 50 and 75 dollars a day in whatever (souvenirs, all the mickey ice cream bars in the world, fudge, etc)

Here’s what worked for me when I took my niece who was 8 or 9. I told her she had $50 to spend as she wished. She didn’t ask for “everything” she saw because she knew when the money was gone it was gone.

Now she is now in her 30s and still talks about that trip. If the trip were today I’d probably make that more like $100 or $150 because prices have gone up so much. But do what you are comfortable with financially.

Have a GREAT trip!

Last time I went I budgeted $5 per day per person for treats. I am doing $10 per person per day this time. They will each get $150 for the week for souvies. I want them to value the experience not the stuff. It will be up to you and I found that whether you want to spend $10 a day or $50 you can have a magical time! Have a wonderful trippixiedust:

I would tell your girls (at least the older one) that they have $100 to spend on souvenirs for the week. Give them a set limit. You cover little snacks & drinks if your dining plan credits fall short. You should have plenty left over if you go that route.

$1000 is more than enough. I definitely agree to give the kids a set amount. You may even want to put theirs on a gift card. When it's gone, it's gone. It will help them- and you! It is easy to get caught up in the excitement. We aren't big "stuff" people and I even tend to want, want, want! We wait until the end of the trip to buy.

Stayed at GF once.. LOVED IT! Beware, once you stay there.. you get spoiled and nothing else compares.... IMO..

I do think 1k is plenty of extra $... (assuming Dining Tips are covered elsewhere) for 6 days.. personally i try to aim for $100 per day... which usually gives us plenty..

My trip this time is with the grandkids, but over the years we traveled a LOT with 3 kids. Our motto was the trip is the reward, not the souveniers. That being said, we always went with a look all week and when the week is over, we will go back wherever you want and buy the ONE great thing you have to have. That was our limit. Might not work for everyone, but like I said, it allowed us to do a ton of traveling. We are thinking this time of giving each of the grandkids a $50.00 gift card to spend as they chose on this trip. Still mulling that over. But the point is there are strategies that keep it where YOU want it to be :)

You will have a great time no matter how much you spend. You could buy your girls each a $50 souvenir every single day and have an amazing time. Or you could spend $10 on them each day and splurge on one $50 gift at the end of the week and have an amazing time. Being at Disney is so incredible, especially if it is your first trip. Is it easy to spend a huge amount of money? Sure, but it is not necessary to do so to have a great time. So if $1000 is what you can afford, then you can easily have a great time with that amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter