• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spin off....head table at wedding

I've seen both here (St. Louis) but the head table has always been the more common of the two. We had a table with all of the wedding party and their dates, but it wasn't a "head table" as it was a just a table amongst all the others.

We also had a small wedding and a small venue so I don't even know if having a traditional "head table" would have been feasible.

I find it interesting too! For instance, in my family we always host baby and bridal showers at home. I always thought that was the norm until I got to the age where my friends were getting married and all of the showers were a Italian restaurants. My husband family does the Italian restaurant thing too, yum!

All the showers I've heard of were at someone's house, or a rented hall if a large gathering. No restaurants.

Any wedding I was at always had a head table. I live in Western PA. Some of our interesting traditions are The Cookie Table and the Shot Dance. Your wedding is judged by your cookie table. Different family members and friends supply cookies for this table and it is usually an elaborate spread. Many people will bring a ziplock bag to fill up. The Shot dance requires you to pay a dollar or other amount and then you drink a shot of booze and dance with the Bride or Groom. I thought these happened at every wedding until I went to some in other states

A cousin that was married last Nov. had a destination wedding so only had a best man/maid of honor. The couple had a head table that consisted of them in the center flanked by their parents and grandparents.

My best friend's wedding 2 years ago had a head table on a stage.... which I promptly knocked over later in the evening :rolleyes1

She was 26ish so I imagine it's still pretty common if new/young brides are still doing it.

Most of the ones here in Ohio are head table which I wouldn't want as a bride.

I like the sweetheart idea!!

Never been to a wedding with a sweetheart table. Always a head table with the bride, groom, and bridal party.

All the showers I've heard of were at someone's house, or a rented hall if a large gathering. No restaurants.

Most of the restaurant showers here are in separate rooms at the restaurants - mostly Italian, since 9 out of 10 restaurants here are Italian!

I've been to 4 weddings in the last year. 3 were sweetheart tables, 1 had head table.

All of our family's weddings have had head tables except one which used a sweetheart table and sat the rest of the wedding party and parents at two other round tables on either side of the sweetheart table. Everyone else sat behind these table so had a view of the backs of the bride and groom since they sat facing the band and dance floor.

A cousin that was married last Nov. had a destination wedding so only had a best man/maid of honor. The couple had a head table that consisted of them in the center flanked by their parents and grandparents.

My mother would have died right there if I put her on display (while eating!).

I have never been to a wedding without a head table. THe last wedding I went to was in 2012...so maybe things have changed since then? But I can honestly say I have never seen anything but.

We had a table with dh & me, my moh & her dh and dh's best man and his wife. The rest of the bridal party was family so they sat at other tables. Our moh and best man didn't know many other guests so we thought it would be nice for the 6 of us to sit together.

We are trying to figure this out now.

Most likely, it will be me, DFi, and an handful of our friends with their significant others (if that makes sense). But not at the front of the room or anything. Just in a central location.

So not a head table, in that we aren't really having a traditional bridal party anyway.

I've never heard of a sweetheart table, and every wedding I've been to has had a head table, even if that table was to the side instead of in the front.

Have seen/been in both types of weddings/receptions. We did not have a "head table" that faced everyone else. All of our tables were round and the two up front in the middle (facing the dance floor) were reserved for the bridal party/their dates. DH and I were the only people with specific places that we were sitting--because we wanted to be able to see all the action on the dance floor. We then had a couple of tables reserved for family. The rest was a free for all. :rotfl2:

Other weddings I have attended/been in have been similar to mine or had the official "head table" with bridal party only. This has been going on for the past 10 years here in KC. Whatever floats the boat of the bride/groom goes here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter