• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~Spin off ~ What is the best stroller for DLR?

KaChow

Winning every race
In all seriousness, I am currently shopping for a stroller. Not just for DLR, but it does play a factor in what I get. Right now I'm leaning towards the Joovy Caboose. We'll have my 6yo niece with us and I thought it would be nice for her to hop on if she needed a break.

Which do you like best?

Toddlers - older kids the Mac Volo *DD's last stroller trip to Disney was Thanksgiving 2010 - she was 7 and a 1/2*

We just went with a 20 month old and a just turned 3 year old. We brought a basic Graco single stroller and a $15 umbrella stroller. It worked great. We could split up or be together and 2 singles was much more maneuverable in crowds than a double.

My 3 year old wanted to walk a lot of the time and so we were able to slide the tiny umbrella stroller into the basket under the other one when we didn't need it. She walked or rode on Daddy's shoulders most of the time, and we could easily whip out the smaller stroller to go to other lands or to come and go from the park. The cheap Graco stroller had padding, a sunshade and a reclining back and the little guy could nap in it just fine.

I have no idea why some people seem to think you need an expensive Rolls Royce stroller for a trip to Disney: its not like you're going off road or anything. (And don't even get me started on people who's kid has a $500 stroller but "no money" for a college fund! My own personal pet peeve:rolleyes1) Pretty much anything with a basket and a sun shade will do.

We just went with a 20 month old and a just turned 3 year old. We brought a basic Graco single stroller and a $15 umbrella stroller. It worked great. We could split up or be together and 2 singles was much more maneuverable in crowds than a double...

If you're 5' 2" or shorter *as the pusher* I'm not super tall *5' 5 and 1/2" but those cheap strollers cause my back to ache if I push one for an extended period of time *a day in a Disney park or two....*

I personally do not recommend a cheap stroller. We brought a Graco sit n stand last trip, and it was horrible. My husbands wrists hurt really bad from pushing it. We also tried the stroller they had in the rental house, it was a single cheap brand, and was just as horrible. I plan to rent a City Mini Double from an outside rental company next time we go. It has great reviews, the seats recline, it has sun shades, and is light weight.

I'm tall, so umbrella strollers are usually very difficult and uncomfortable for me to use. I'd like one that I can use for two children if needed, but is still somewhat compact.

I'm totally not looking for a new drama thread on strollers, or their cost. Just looking for recommendations. :hippie:

We have an uppa baby vista with interchangable rumble seat or skate board that we were so happy with and wanted so much to take with us. But it was almost $1000 with the extra attachments and we were worried about it getting stolen. At the time there were a few threads posted in the DIS about theft.
We ended-up getting off craigslist a zooper tango for the two girls (last year they were 3 and 6mos). It had seperate reclining seats, shades, and a sun cover for the baby. It was so much easier to have a reclining seat for the 3 year old too as she would get pooped after a loong day and would pass-out on the walk back to the hotel.
We bought a joovy caboose and found it to be a sled, with poor steering.
But that was just our opinion. We sold the joovy a week after we bought it.

ETA: We cant use the umbrella strollers they didnt have enough sun shade and we were afraid the baby would get sun stroke.

I once had a cheap umbrella stroller - it was a complete waste of money. I upgraded to an umbrella size stroller with more features. The one I have is made by Chicco similar to this http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/strollers/liteway/liteway-juniper.aspx. It has a good sun shade, basket, reclining seat (my girls slept many hours in it). I have taken that stroller to many places over the past 8 years (many zoo trips, Sea World, San Diego Safari Park) and it is still going strong. It is easy to handle in airports as well. When my girls were little, I got a double stroller from Chicco that was basically 2 of the single strollers put together (1 center handle). It worked great too and went a lot of places. I still use the single stroller going to zoos to carry the small ice chest and other stuff, but the girls walk.

I had a Baby Trend Sit n stroll and it was merely ok. It served the purpose, but it wasn't great. The description above of pushing a sled is reminiscent of it.

The big thing to be aware of are the weight limits in strollers. Many are 35 pounds and if you go over that they are impossible to push.

I personally do not recommend a cheap stroller. We brought a Graco sit n stand last trip, and it was horrible. My husbands wrists hurt really bad from pushing it. We also tried the stroller they had in the rental house, it was a single cheap brand, and was just as horrible. I plan to rent a City Mini Double from an outside rental company next time we go. It has great reviews, the seats recline, it has sun shades, and is light weight.

Where are you renting from?

I would suggest you to check out what strollers your friends and family have and try pushing them around. Make a list of what your child or children use and if there is enough room for storing those items. What works for one person may not work for you. Check to see how the strollers fold down and how much room they take. See if they fit in your car. Can you fold the stroller down and set it back up by yourself.

We have a PegPerego Atlantico. It's larger than umbrella sized, but not obnoxiously large. We got it passed down from a client when our daughter was born, and it is a really smooth ride. Adjustable height push bar, which my tall husband appreciates, real rubber wheels which make all the difference when baby is sleeping or something fragile/spillable is in the stroller.. plus it has a nice basket so we don't have to carry so much.
The only con is that it doesn't make for the most compact stroller when folded up. The pro is that we normally never do. We've let DD sleep in it overnight at a hotel, which saved us renting/bringing a pack & play

You can probably find one on craigslist!

I once had a cheap umbrella stroller - it was a complete waste of money. I upgraded to an umbrella size stroller with more features. The one I have is made by Chicco similar to this http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/strollers/liteway/liteway-juniper.aspx. It has a good sun shade, basket, reclining seat (my girls slept many hours in it). I have taken that stroller to many places over the past 8 years (many zoo trips, Sea World, San Diego Safari Park) and it is still going strong. It is easy to handle in airports as well. When my girls were little, I got a double stroller from Chicco that was basically 2 of the single strollers put together (1 center handle). It worked great too and went a lot of places. I still use the single stroller going to zoos to carry the small ice chest and other stuff, but the girls walk.

I had a Baby Trend Sit n stroll and it was merely ok. It served the purpose, but it wasn't great. The description above of pushing a sled is reminiscent of it.

The big thing to be aware of are the weight limits in strollers. Many are 35 pounds and if you go over that they are impossible to push.

I've been looking for a single stroller but I don't want anything big and bulky. I really like that one! :thumbsup2 I'll have to go to babies r us and push it around this weekend!

I do not think the Joovy is a good all day stroller. The steering is bad. If you are considering a double, I would look for one with good wheels and good steering. Go to the store and try them all out. We have a Combi double that even our 8yo can still sit in if she needs to, and it has worked great from the time they were babies since it has full recline. It also folds up length-wise so it is about the size of a golf bag, which makes it easy to store.

The sit and stands may not be the best idea for a 6yo either - because even during her 'rest' time on the stroller, she's still standing, kwim? So if you're worried about her stamina I would get one where she can sit if she wants to sit.

We use 2 Mac Triumphs for my 5 & 2 year old. We actually split up during our trips so we need 2 strollers. The Macs are great because they are easy to steer and the kids can get in/out w/o assistance. The baskets are tiny but we don't like to leave anything in them anyways (we leave an envirosax that is locked to the stroller frame).

I have had over 10 strollers since my daughter was born in 2006. Honestly, maybe 15:scared1:

I had the Joovy but didn't care for it so I resold it quickly. It was impossible to push/turn with a lot of weight, or uneven weight distribution. The sun canopy sucked. It was hard to use the basket. I didn't like the floppy parent console.

BUT, i have heard really good things about the brand new caboose ultralights. They are apparently much easier to steer.

We have the CitiMini Double. We really like it. We did have a double jogger by Baby Trend. We loved it (especially at DL) but sold it and got the CitiMini for our WDW trip. It was more compact to fly with.

We were considering getting a single stroller, but our next trip is at a hotel with a longer walk (10+ minutes) so we will bring the double just for the walk home. If we were staying further away and taking ART, we'd bring a single stroller for the parks....not sure which one though since I haven't had a single stroller in over 3 years. It'd most likely buy a jogger for maneuverability and so I could use it for my 3 yr old when I go running while my girls are at school.

I am also in the market for a stroller! Even though we don't have a disney trip planned anytime soon.. (baby girl is due in June)... I am still looking for a stroller that would be compatible with a disney trip for future use!

In all my research, I have found that the City Select has the best reviews. But I am not sure if it is a good disney stroller. Not sure of foldability, ease of pushing, and it is quite pricy and I am paranoid of stroller theft already! But yeah I would check out the City Select...

I am also in the market for a stroller! Even though we don't have a disney trip planned anytime soon.. (baby girl is due in June)... I am still looking for a stroller that would be compatible with a disney trip for future use!

In all my research, I have found that the City Select has the best reviews. But I am not sure if it is a good disney stroller. Not sure of foldability, ease of pushing, and it is quite pricy and I am paranoid of stroller theft already! But yeah I would check out the City Select...

We bought a Graco travel system 4 years ago before my DD was born. It still goes strong and have had no issues with it. It's gone to DL (and is going a 2nd time in May), it's gone to 6 flags Vallejo and all over Nor cal. It's the only stroller we have ever used. It has good size storage under the seat, you can fold it up with one hand easily, its handle is high enough for me to push it long distances with ease (I'm 6'). The seat folds flat so DD can lie down.you can close up tje feet when your child is a baby so he/ she has room to lie down without sliding out the front. We don't use it as much now unless we go some place like DL where we will walk all day but it has been a godsend on many a trip and though it looks very worn now from all the use it has never had any wheel issues or frame issues or any other issues. Pushes very easy and smooth.

For Disney we will be using the Mac Volo this trip. At home we bring the BOB revolution since it steers well and isn't tippy but I will be flying with 3 kids all by myself and don't wish to deal with a big heavy stroller through the airport. Plus, our toddler doesn't really like to sit in a stroller much anymore and we will probably only bring it with us when we head back to the parks after an afternoon break.

When my older two were little we had a Mac quest. It was great for traveling, lightweight, easy to steer and it reclined! But my husband ran over it with the car one day and that was that. :( I do like the BJCM and think it is a great stroller for all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter