Spin Off: What is/was your AmazonSmile Charity?

Mine was God's Eyes International. They went to jungles in developing countries, and people would walk for HOURS to get their very first eye exams. They would exam eyes and give a brand new, appropriately prescription strength glasses. The sweet folks are so grateful and some are seeing clearly for the first time. One boy said, "Who put the lights in the sky??" upon seeing stars for the first time.

Covenant House New Orleans. They offer shelter, clothing, food, whatever is needed to homeless teens and young adults. Before Katrina they even had a drop-in center where kids could stop by and pick up supplies or see a nurse. They also offer free classes on everything from basic health to balancing a checkbook to applying for a job, and if you take a class you get a free lunch from the corner store. I have SO many friends who got off the streets and made something of their lives largely because of Covenant House.

Robinson Ballet, a local, semi-professional dance company. DD danced with them for years and as an adult was a contributing artist and soloist. They do a Nutcracker production that involves 10 performances across Maine, culminating in a 3-performance stint with the Bangor Symphony. This is a unique opportunity for teen aged dancers, some of whom have gone on to professional ballet careers, to be part of a traveling performance company. Amazon said the average contribution via smile was $250 per recipient, but that $250 means this company could make new costumes for the entire Snow corps, for example. I wonder if such a huge company like Amazon has lost sight of what several hundred dollars means to non-profits that fundraise by selling cookies, candles, and pasta, door-to-door. It disappoints me that Amazon has stopped their smile program, and I really have no desire to donate to the charities that they deem "worthy."

The Balam Foundation-"dedicated to ending animal suffering in Mexico's most impoverished communities. By offering free sterilization to cats and dogs-as well as providing rescue, TNR, foster care, and adoption." I follow Balam Says on instagram, a cute cat account where I became aware of the owner's charity. I had just switched to it several months ago too. I was previously supporting the American Humane Society.

Was our son’s high school marching band for several years. Recently had changed it to the dog rescue where my daughter recently got her rescue dog over the summer. So sad this program is ending.

Mine is a local rabbit rescue where I've gone to adopt rabbits in the past. DH's is the community theater group where he performs and serves on the board.

For many years, it was the rescue that some of our pets were adopted from. Then I a few years ago I switched to the Sesame Street Foundation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter