Spinoff: Broadway Shows

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
In the Jesus Christ Superstar thread a few people have mentioned that some production of it was the live show they ever saw.

What was yours? Can be either Broadway or a touring performance in your city. Regional theater/semi-professional OK, but please no high school productions. Musical, comedy, drama, dance, etc.

My first was Sweeney Todd on Broadway back in early 1980. Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury were the stars. Face value tickets were about $10 for the balcony, but we paid $5 for a group rate from my college's Performing Arts department.

I didn't really care for the storyline of the show, but the actors, costumes, music, sets, etc. were all spectacular.

250px-SweeneyToddLogo.jpg

My first Broadway show was Beauty and the Beast, with my parents, back in 2000. My dad took me back to it a second time in like 2003.

The first Broadway show I can CLEARLY remember is when I saw The Producers in around 2004? Good times, good times.

Started off a longtime love of Broadway :)

My first show was Cats in the early ‘90s. It was a touring production in Montreal. I saw it with a friend. I have seen many touring and local productions. I am a huge musical buff and am thrilled that my kids love it to. DH loves them as well. My eldest takes a musical theatre class and is becoming a big fan. We now enjoy it as a family.

I have never seen a show on Broadway as I haven’t been to NYC minus the airport. I am planning to go in 2 years for my 50th and see one or hopefully 2 shows.

Last edited:

Annie starring Anthony Warlow at the Regent Theatre in Melbourne on 25 April 2001 when I was 10. A few years later the girl I saw play Molly was a new student at my high school. We were cast in the school musical together and became best friends.

The Sound of Music at Boulder Dinner Theater, with my Girl Scout Troop in 4th grade (1982 I think).
I fell in love with live theatre-----talked my parents into taking me to shows for my birthdays from then on.

My first Broadway show was the straight play Children of a Lesser God circa 1981. My first Broadway musical was a Lincoln Center revival of Brigadoon circa 1985.

My first and only Broadway show was “Annie Get Your Gun” with Bernadette Peters in 2000. It was fantastic. I have seen many other live stage productions, but that is my one and only experience with Broadway. My son and I are thinking about a trip to NY this year. He wants to see the two-part Harry Potter production and I want to see “Hello Dolly”.

Last edited:
My first was Phantom of the Opera in LA, must have been late 80s/early 90s.

Besides being in a high school play, when I was younger, I did do some community theatre when I was stationed in Japan in the early 90s. But the first big production I saw was in 89, and it was Cyrano De Bergerac at the Ashland Shakespeare Festival in Oregon.
The first touring production that I saw was Jesus Christ Superstar in 94 in San Antonio.
The first and only Broadway show I saw was Wicked in 2008.

Cats in like... 1996 or 97? My grandparents brought my cousin and I to see a touring production here in Rhode Island.

The first professional production of a show I ever saw was Pirates of Penzance at Paper Mill Playhouse, but the first show I saw on Broadway was Phantom of the Opera.

First regional shows would have been sometime in HS, so late 80's. I honestly don't remember the shows themselves (maybe Pippin?), but a good friend of mine in HS was in a number of local / regional shows that used youth performers. Our HS had a really strong theater program, so a few of my friends were really into theater. A couple are still involved, either in performing or directing/teaching. That was my first taste of theater.

First "pro" theater would have probably been Phantom and Les Mis - here in Cleveland as well as semi-permanent productions in Toronto, which my wife and I used to love to travel to for shows. These days we have a season ticket for the Broadway Series here in Cleveland.

Only Broadway musical we've seen in NYC was School of Rock with our boys a couple years ago. A year or two before that, we went with our boys to Potted Potter Off-Broadway.

My first Broadway show was Phantom of the Opera. We went for a class trip in Jr. High so it was probably around 1991-93. One of those years. haha

I'm pretty sure it was the same as DD15's, Cats, about 10 years ago. I'm still surprised it took me so long! I remember leaving the show, and for days afterwards, DD singing "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats". I'm so glad she still loves live theater!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter