SPINOFF: Did your elementary school teachers come to your birthday parties?

I grew up in a small town where my extended family pretty much dominated the political scene & the school system. My teachers were at parties, church, family events, etc. You name it. At least, a few of them were there. It wasn't just my teachers & principals. The police chief was my first cousin too. I couldn't get away with anything. :sad2:

The "Do you keep in touch with your teachers" thread reminded me of the 3 girls who live 2 doors down. When we were in elementary school, they always invited their teachers and the school nurse to their birthday parties, and they always came. I always found that odd. And yes, we actually had a school nurse back in the 1960s, something my kids never had at any of their schools.

We have 5 grade schools, a Junior High and a High school in my district and every single school has a school nurse. When a class goes on a field trip the school nurse goes on the trip and they bring in a substitute nurse. There is never a time a nurse is not in the building.

I would have never invited my teachers to my birthday party- my daughter invited her kindergarten teacher to her sweet 16 party and even dedicated one of the candles in the candle lighting ceremony to her.

no....and never knew anyone that did.
My kids never invited their teachers and never knew anyone that did.

We had school nurses, my kids had school nurses, the school my daughter teaches at has a school nurse

how charming, must have been a small town a long long time ago, but still kind of nice

We have 5 grade schools, a Junior High and a High school in my district and every single school has a school nurse. When a class goes on a field trip the school nurse goes on the trip and they bring in a substitute nurse. There is never a time a nurse is not in the building.

I would have never invited my teachers to my birthday party- my daughter invited her kindergarten teacher to her sweet 16 party and even dedicated one of the candles in the candle lighting ceremony to her.
Not sure what prompted the change here, but suspect it was at least in part money. One of the districts here still has nurses, and judging from the calls on the scanner, when they have a sick kid, they just call 9-1-1 and let the Paramedics handle it since they bring with them equipment that a school nurse is not going to have.

I think I might have, but they declined. I did got to my 2nd grade teacher's wedding the following year.

I don't recall a teacher ever going to a birthday party but I have no idea if they were ever invited. My dd12 invited her 3rd grade teacher to see her in the dance school nutcracker. The teacher's daughter owns her own dance studio and she was very excited to come watch and not have to help out. Last year dd12 invited 6th grade teachers to the figure skating recital and her math teacher emailed me for info and came. My dd16 did not invite anyone but one of the skating coach's teaches at the high school and she invited many of her teacher friends and a few came.

Way back when I was in 1-6 we had a rotating nurse. From grade 7 and up school had a full time nurse. For my kids public preschool on up all schools have a full time nurse. They also have a medical assistant and nursing students the majority of the school year. I think the high school has more than 1 full time nurse.

Nope, never had a school nurse (secretary felt if you had a fever with her hand and called your mom, she washed up wounds and applied band aids, guess she was a bit of a nurse). And I never considered inviting a teacher to my parties and never saw one go to anyone else's either. Just not something anyone did in our area I guess.

I have been to a couple of my student's parties but I wasn't the one invited, one of my kids was invited. We've also had a couple of teachers at their parties just because my kids invited their kids.

Last edited:
Every school anyone in my family has attended has had a school nurse. The high school where I teach has 3-- we have a student body of 2,700

My nephew, when he was in 1st grade, had a birthday party and my SIL invited his teacher (who happened to be MY teacher when he was in his 1st year of teaching). I was surprised, but he actually showed up.

When I was in 8th grade, I had a favorite teacher. He was my homeroom and math teacher. He had small children at home and I loved babies, It was the 1st time a teacher talked to me about their personal life outside of school. His wife was pregnant and delivered over the summer, he called me at home to tell me. I invited him and his family to a cookout my family was having, and they came. I babysat for them a few times. So, yes, I can see how a teacher may form a bond with a child and accept personal invitations outside of school.

Every school anyone in my family has attended has had a school nurse. The high school where I teach has 3-- we have a student body of 2,700

I'm pretty sure it's a law. Not just a "nurse" someone to apply bandaids, but a credentialed RN.

I imagine it would be complicated for a teacher to start attending parties. Do you accept some invites but not all? Do you then give birthday presents to all of your students?

I am a teacher, and I have been invited to a few parties. I haven't gone yet, but a mom just sent me a message saying that her child might be sending me an invitation, and not to feel pressured, but welcome. The student is not even in my class this year, but she was last year. I don't know if I should go, because I have been invited in the past and have never gone, and I really don't want to start going ALL the time. LOL Parents might expect me to come and help. LOL

No way. I didn't have big parties, but honestly I would've been mortified to see my teacher anywhere outside of school, let alone in my own home. Was a different world back then.

This is the first I've heard of any school not having a nurse.

Our middle school and high school each have 2 nurses. The elementary schools only has one full time nurse. But they also have one or two p/t nurses that float to different buildings covering the full time nurse when she goes to lunch. Our district only hires RNs, I know the neighboring district has LPNs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter