Spinoff of "beaters": How OLD was the 1st car you owned?

I had a 1984 Mazda GLC hatchback in 1996...so 12 years old. Bought for $700 and 130,000 miles on it... and ran with no issues for 3 years until the clutch finally gave up....cost to replace the clutch was more than the car was worth

Oh, about the 67 Plymouth Valiant I drove starting in 1978. No AC, and the gas gauge stopped working. I kept a little notebook in the car to record mileage when I got gas.

When full I could get about 200 miles, but I often only bought $3 or $4 of gas and had to determine when I would need it next. Thankfully I never ran out.

It had those triangular vent windows in front, window cranks, and no power steering or brakes. I don’t think it had seatbelts either. But it did have that hump on the back seat floor for the drive train.

it was 1987, I was graduating high school and I bought my first car ( I think it was $750).... a 1974 VW bug, Wolfcastle edition... cobalt metallic blue with a sunroof. I had it less than a year before I killed it on a telephone pole avoiding a squirrel... sigh that was such a cool car...

next car(s) was a inheritance from my dad, and the first in a long series of 'old man' sedans.... all used and abused with high mileage, food stains, and reeking of cigar smoke.... Buick Skylark.... Oldsmobile Firenze.... Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais... but the price was right (freebies) ... and made me very non picky about cars. Although I do insist nowadays on heated seats and AWD, those are musts living in New England.

My first car that I bought when I was 16 was the same age as me. 1981 firebird. It was junk. Cost me 900 and had to replace the engine

9 years old. Bought a 1975 Ford Maverick (otherwise known as a poor man's Mustang) in 1984 for $1400. That was a great car that got me through 2 years of HS and 4 years of college.

My first car was a late 80s VW Fox, and it was 10 years old and had 97k miles on it. Drove it for 3 years before totaling it when I hit a deer. It was basic. No AC, crank windows, two doors, am/fm radio...I added the tape deck. But it was mine.

Late 80s Oldsmobile Cutlass that my parents had bought a year or so before I graduated college in 94. They let me keep it after graduation. I drove it for a little while before buying a new Saturn in 95 or 96, I think.

How OLD was the 1st car you owned?

1963 VW Beetle/Bug bought for college transportation in 1969 with funds borrowed from my Grandmother.

My first car was 12 years old. It was a specific car make by GM. It was an absolute disaster. The people who sold it to me clearly patched it together long enough to get it sold. It started overheating just a week after I got it, and within a few months the radiator needed to be replaced. It continued to overheat and I had to carry a jug of water in the backseat. Never could find any issues that caused it (until it finally gave up the ghost - its water pump ruptured, and it probably was the culprit the whole time, some small leak that went unseen.) The AC stopped working, and then the windows stopped rolling down. Horrible.

In contrast, my current car, a Toyota, is 16 years old. And she's in great shape. Everything still works perfectly. Haven't had to fix a single thing on her (knock on wood).

Last edited:
In 1978 I had a 1973- I was only 15 but my dad was getting a new car so he gave his old one to my brother and they kept my brothers old one for me so I had to wait a year to get my permit and drive it.

I think it was 94 or 95, I got a 1984 Mustang.

1984 Mustangs were not cool. The 80's t'was a dark time for the American automobile.

I had a '71 Chevelle and that would have been 1980. Wish I still had that one!

The first car I owned was a 1998 Toyota Corolla. It was a reliable companion for several years, but eventually, it became a bit of a beater due to its age and wear and tear. When it reached a point where it needed frequent repairs and was no longer safe to drive, I decided to sell the junk car without regrets https://www.scoopify.org/say-goodbye-to-your-lovely-car-without-regrets/ . Parting ways with my first car was sentimental, but I knew it was the right decision for safety and financial reasons. Letting go of an old car can be emotional, but selling a junk car when it's time can free you from the burden of constant repairs and open up the possibility of finding a more reliable and newer vehicle.

Last edited:
I think it was 94 or 95, I got a 1984 Mustang.

1984 Mustangs were not cool. The 80's t'was a dark time for the American automobile.
1984 Mustangs are VERY cool. Just go to any Cars and Coffee gathering in your area. Known as the Fox Body. And a very popular pursuit vehicle with Police Departments because they were FAST.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter