Spinoff of the other post, how would you theme Contemporary?

What's wrong with it?
My understanding is that the monorail resorts are supposed to represent the different lands. Poly is Adventureland, GFV is Fantasyland, Fort Wilderness/Wilderness lodge is Frontierland, Contemporary/BLT is Tomorrowland

I didn't read the other thread so I'm guessing that the Contemporary was voted most in need of a re-theming?

I love the Contemporary. My first visit was in 1975. It's iconic Disney, much like Mickey Mouse himself. I think it needs to stay the way it is with just regular refurbs and sprucing up. I love it there.

Personally, I don't like the CR rooms. I think a cool retro-futurism reno would be cool, much like they're currently working on with Tomorrowland. Doesn't really fit the name of the resort though. I really liked the look of the test rooms with the Incredibles art. Not necessarily bringing the Incredibles into it, but just that sort of feel would be cool as well.

I think the Contemporary is the fine the way it is. The only Disney resort with the monorail running inside the building and the overall look still works for me. I read that the original plan was for modular rooms that could be replaced as the years went by, but settling of the foundation made that impossible. When we stayed there earlier this year, thought the room decor was fine.

It would be a mistake to theme any resort around a popular movie since 5 yrs from now, it will no longer be a popular movie and need to be redone again.

I wouldn't touch it! Just as I wouldn't touch Carousel of Progress. It's an iconic piece of Disney history. If they tried to take down the Mary Blair mural, I think they would have a Disney geek riot on their hands. I think they've kept the rooms nicely updated and hope they continue to do so. I like the "retro" mod vibe. The resort has late '60's/early '70's written all over it and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There is so much history there and I'm glad they continue to honor that.

The Contemporary is great just as it is, IMO. The only thing I would change is the awful sinks and no counter space in the bathrooms, I end up using one of the sinks as a counter but those flat sinks just don’t drain well. I would be okay if they did minor redecorating but no retheming. I have seen the proposed Incredibles rooms, too and I think they’re hideous and would completely ruin the resort. Not every resort has to have characters splashed all over it.

The rooms and interior are fine. It’s the outside grounds and pool that need some love, badly.

I think the CR is almost perfect. The only things I would change our the flat sinks in the bathrooms and maybe the main pool. I find the main pool a little too blah for a Disney deluxe resort. I think it would be cool to redo the pool like the monorail pool they have at one of the Disneyland resorts (Disneyland Hotel ??)

I think the CR is almost perfect. The only things I would change our the flat sinks in the bathrooms and maybe the main pool. I find the main pool a little too blah for a Disney deluxe resort. I think it would be cool to redo the pool like the monorail pool they have at one of the Disneyland resorts (Disneyland Hotel ??)

Speaking of the pool, when I went in 1975 as a child, the main pool was a floating octagon shaped pool that was floating in Bay Lake. You walked out to on it on a pier and then there was the pool. I can't seem to find any pictures of that setup but it was very cool. In 1975, the Contemporary was *the* place to stay with Poly being the runner up (and a bit cheaper). My parents splurged on the Contemporary at $75 per night, theme park view!

I wouldn't mind the HGTV type renovation. I think the resort struggles between what is currently contemporary and the retro future look that Tomorrowland has. I've only stayed at BLT, but do enjoy the Contemporary for its location and options.

I don't have an opinion on the rooms. I think they're fine. I would like a complete overhaul of the exterior grounds. More and better landscaping, and a pool that doesn't remind me of a Super 8. I'd like to see more touches of color in the main concourse as well, beyond the Mary Blair mural(s).

Whatever 'style' they choose, I would just love to see more Disney touches, whether overt, or unexpected.

I'm not a fan of the Contemporary although I do like how the Monorail goes right thru it. IMO, it would be very hard to retheme that resort fully. To me, a retheming would have to be a redo of the building itself so you get the idea visually as you approach. I don't know how to retheme something that looks like a plain concrete building to me. Again, to me, if you were to pluck the Contemporary up and move it......there isn't a setting where it would fit nicely. For example, I can imagine the Wilderness Lodge in a forest somewhere, I can imagine the Beach Club along a beach somewhere, and I can imagine the ritzy Grand Floridian somewhere in the Northeast at the turn of the century. So, I guess I am saying leave it alone other than normal updates as things wear out.

Speaking of the pool, when I went in 1975 as a child, the main pool was a floating octagon shaped pool that was floating in Bay Lake. You walked out to on it on a pier and then there was the pool. I can't seem to find any pictures of that setup but it was very cool. In 1975, the Contemporary was *the* place to stay with Poly being the runner up (and a bit cheaper). My parents splurged on the Contemporary at $75 per night, theme park view!

If you check this old video out and go in about 4 min I think this is what you are referencing? right? I think I remember this too. We never stayed CR as a kid but did stay poly back in the 80s but I really don't remember it from that trip.

Make the buildings appear metallic on the outside, with spherical elevators running up and down the façade of the structure. Rooftop swimming pool enclosed in a glass dome. Vertical hydroponic gardening walls on the inside.
Of course the entire resort has to be solar energy-friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter